• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Grand Science Fiction / Yurei Press

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Grand Science Fiction is a web periodical which is associated with Yurei Press (based on information from the Yurei Press website). They accepted a story of mine earlier this year. The story was published on June 23rd with payment due within 30 days. The payment was not received within that timeframe. I sent a followup note a week ago today, requesting either that payment be made or, if there was a reason why a delay would be necessary, that I be made aware of that reason and given a timeframe within which to expect payment. I received no reply to my email.

Additionally, I never received a counter-signed contract despite repeated requests for same. My most recent emails on that topic had gone unresponded-to as well. My understanding is that I am not alone in having past-due monies owed to me for a story published on this site.

Grand Science Fiction is currently closed to submissions as, apparently, are all Yurei Press anthologies. If they re-open, people may want to take my experience into consideration before submitting there.

I will come here to update this information when I receive payment for my story.

cubagw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefoggiestnotion.com
Grand Science Fiction

Just to add that my own recent experience with this venue reflect's Michael's. In my case, GSF published my story online on their website on 23 May 2012. My contract stipulated payment (via Paypal) within 30 days. I sent an email to the editor (Von Savant) to our previous contact addy at GSF on 12 July 2012, requesting payment. No reply. I sent another email to the Whois registrant of grandsciencefiction.com at her registered email address there on 24 July 2012, which bounced ("unknown recipient"). I sent another email to the editor at his Yurei Press website addy on 28 July 2012. No reply as of this date.

In that last email, I also asked that, if for any reason the editor did not intend to pay me, that my story be taken down from the site ASAP. At this date it remains live (although the site has been stagnant for the last few weeks with no new published material).

I also never received my countersigned contract as promised.

I'm no stranger to late/delayed payments from editors for my published fiction, but it always came eventually--sometimes after a gentle nudge/reminder. I understand that stuff happens sometimes that temporarily complicates our lives. But the utter lack of 2-way communication in this case has been extremely frustrating.

From my writerly contacts, it appears that the editor has not responded to any emails at all since (IIRC) late May. I know of at least one other author who has also not been paid for her published story per the GSF contract terms.

I too will update here if the situation changes.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Good news. I was paid for my story today. No communication or counter-signed contract but I'm pleased to have received the payment.