AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Grand Science Fiction / Yurei Press

practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar

Grand Science Fiction / Yurei Press

Grand Science Fiction is a web periodical which is associated with Yurei Press (based on information from the Yurei Press website). They accepted a story of mine earlier this year. The story was published on June 23rd with payment due within 30 days. The payment was not received within that timeframe. I sent a followup note a week ago today, requesting either that payment be made or, if there was a reason why a delay would be necessary, that I be made aware of that reason and given a timeframe within which to expect payment. I received no reply to my email.

Additionally, I never received a counter-signed contract despite repeated requests for same. My most recent emails on that topic had gone unresponded-to as well. My understanding is that I am not alone in having past-due monies owed to me for a story published on this site.

Grand Science Fiction is currently closed to submissions as, apparently, are all Yurei Press anthologies. If they re-open, people may want to take my experience into consideration before submitting there.

I will come here to update this information when I receive payment for my story.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Grand Science Fiction

Just to add that my own recent experience with this venue reflect's Michael's. In my case, GSF published my story online on their website on 23 May 2012. My contract stipulated payment (via Paypal) within 30 days. I sent an email to the editor (Von Savant) to our previous contact addy at GSF on 12 July 2012, requesting payment. No reply. I sent another email to the Whois registrant of grandsciencefiction.com at her registered email address there on 24 July 2012, which bounced ("unknown recipient"). I sent another email to the editor at his Yurei Press website addy on 28 July 2012. No reply as of this date.

In that last email, I also asked that, if for any reason the editor did not intend to pay me, that my story be taken down from the site ASAP. At this date it remains live (although the site has been stagnant for the last few weeks with no new published material).

I also never received my countersigned contract as promised.

I'm no stranger to late/delayed payments from editors for my published fiction, but it always came eventually--sometimes after a gentle nudge/reminder. I understand that stuff happens sometimes that temporarily complicates our lives. But the utter lack of 2-way communication in this case has been extremely frustrating.

From my writerly contacts, it appears that the editor has not responded to any emails at all since (IIRC) late May. I know of at least one other author who has also not been paid for her published story per the GSF contract terms.

I too will update here if the situation changes.

If the email on the whois listing bounced, consider filing a bad data report with InterNIC. It could just be an oversight...

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Adding link: http://yureipress.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Just sent Yuri a polite message to come and join the conversation...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

practical experience, FTW mhaynes's Avatar
    Good news. I was paid for my story today. No communication or counter-signed contract but I'm pleased to have received the payment.
    Flash Fiction Editor, Kazka Press
    My Overall Publication History. I can be found on Twitter and My Writing Blog
    Most recent publication: "An Alien Named Tim" (Nature, May 22 2013)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I too received my Paypal payment from GSF (via Yurei Press) today.
    Gary Cuba

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Good thing you got paid when you did, cuz there's no further activity at http://grandsciencefiction.com/, and Yurei Press is gone.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: