• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Anchor Group Publishing

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I do see your point with this. Although, I think there is also only so much one can learn before you go for it. We can't gain experience or learn from our mistakes if we don't put down the (pardon the pun) book and act on what we've learned.

The best way to learn about publishing is to work for an established publisher first. It's great that Stacey is honest about her lack of experience, but that doesn't erase the fact that she doesn't have any. In essence, she's asking inexperienced authors to serve as her test subjects while she learns the business and makes mistakes with their work.

I've heard different things on Ingrams, if that is true, that's handy to know as well. As for the B&N stocking, nationwide is what we're shooting for. I can't speak to the progress on that, maybe that's my mistake, but I believe that Stacey knows what she's doing on that front and I'm letting her do her thing. I do know that some bookstores have started ordering our books on their own. I'll see where it goes!

I looked up your book on the B&N website. If your book were stocked nationwide, there would be a link for customers to check if the book in stocked locally. The link isn't there, so at this point, I'd say it's not stocked in stores. It would be great if Stacey can achieve in-store placement for her authors, but as veinglory noted, she'll have to offer deep discounts and returns for that to happen.

And please don't think we're all sitting around hoping for Anchor to fail. If they fail, they will take authors down with them. We all need more publishers to succeed.

But in the end, it's important to ask the hard questions.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
When I started my path of writing I was advised to join this forum for great advise,support and guidance. What I found was a bunch of people delivering bad critic to anyone they could find whether it was a publisher,author or writer they got trashed by others. And well hello months later it's still going on.

Gee, welcome to you too.

I'm sorry if hearing the truth from folks who know what they are talking about offends you so much. Just for you, how about we all lie to you and tell you what you want to hear so you can feel better?

As an Anchor Group author let me help you with some facts:
1. They don't charge authors any fees.

No publisher does, unless they are a vanity publisher - in which case they don't care about your book, only your dollar. So this isn't really setting Anchor aside from other publishers.

2. We advertise Melissa Ringsted on our pages, well because we as AG thinks she is fabulous.

Yeah, having checked out the quality of her work....each to their own and all that, but I'd be embarassed if my work was edited to that 'standard.'

3. Having your work professionally edited before submitting is advisable, but you can use any editor you want. We of course prefer Melissa.

And do Anchor get a cut or percentage for every author refered to her?

Now, I may be stupid here, but doesn't the PUBLISHER sort out the editing, not refer the author to another, bad and blatantly inexperienced, editing service.

4. We submit our ideas for the cover, a rough draft is created and send back for your input,changes and approval. It's up to you how the cover turns out. My bat girl cover was stunning :).

I'm not seeing that. What I AM seeing are a lot of very bad, cheap looking, badly framed covers. But again, if substandard is your thing, then that's up to you.

5. Our books are available on Amazon, Barns and Noble, smashwords etc.

But where else?

6. Stacey Rourke is a fellow author but also the CEO, and yes captain of an amazing team of authors.

So, was the publishing business set up as a front for her self publishing endeavors? I ask because it creates a conflict of interests.

My husband runs a small press. He does not publish my books - that would be inappropriate. He also writes, but does not publish any of his own books - because that would be a conflict of interests. I get wary of small publishers who do publish their own stuff, or have a vested interest in certain books/authors.

7. Yes Melissa is VP, and she does an awesome job.

And here we get the truth. So, the publisher is referring authors to an editing service provided by the vice president?

Am I right?

Because that is a massive conflict of interests, it's not clearly stated on the site. The actual 'editing' is of obviously dubious quality if the samples are anything to go by. And to state that you 'prefer' authors to have a professional editor, and that you 'prefer' that it's Melissa without making it very clear that she's also got a vested interest in the business....well, I don't think I have to say anything more about the level of professionalism here.

Now I know you have a lot of bad things to add on, so I will leave you to it.

Jesus, you're so negative.

Here's the thing, there are obvious questions both about the running of the business in question, and about the quality of the product. The things you have said have done nothing to reduce the level of concern here.

That's the problem in a nutshell. The time for a publisher to learn the ropes is BEFORE they set up in business, not after. To some extent Stacey is taking advantage of her authors by using their books as part of the learning process.

Agreed.

And please don't think we're all sitting around hoping for Anchor to fail. If they fail, they will take authors down with them. We all need more publishers to succeed.

Yep.

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
As usual, there are folks who want to charge in to the discussion with accusations of AW members "trashing" a publisher.

Pointing out flaws is, as Elizabeth graciously acknowledged, "constructive criticism" - not "trashing".

Folks here are merely pointing out common sense concerns, not to put down the publisher, but to alert potential authors to the problems. If the publisher picks up on it and takes the criticism in the spirit in which it was intended, then they have the opportunity to make themselves stronger. If anyone wants to go on the defensive, it does not change the fact that these problems exist. If anything, the inability to accept that there is room (sometimes substantial room) for improvement shows a lack of professionalism.

Professionalism is what matters to the authors here. While, yes, we do need our publishers and fellow authors to be our cheerleaders, that is just one aspect of the publisher/author relationship. And, to be quite honest, it is not as important as the other aspects: reliable editing, distribution, marketing, and timely payment of royalties, just to list a few of the questions that come up time and again with new publishers.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score

QFT. It's so desperately sad to see how grateful many writers are to clueless POD publishers for 'giving my book a chance', 'making my dream come true' or letting them 'be part of the [insert publisher's name] family', whilst being oblivious to the fact that their book contains so many errors it reads more like a copy-editing exercise than a piece of literature. It's as if their emotional investment in Published Author: the Role-Playing Game causes their critical faculties to switch off.

One poor Anchor author has been published by three notorious vanity presses (including PublishAmerica); the 18-page Amazon extract from her Anchor novel doesn't give the impression of having gone through a spellchecker, let alone a thorough editing process. It's hard to see how she has been helped in any way by Anchor, although at least this time she hasn't paid money up-front or been insulted with a symbolic $1 advance.

Yes, it must hurt to see your publisher being put through the wringer on AbsoluteWrite. But compare this with the dozens of gushing 5-star reviews many poorly-edited and/or poorly-written POD books garner on Amazon and Goodreads, most of which are obviously written by friends, other authors with the same publisher and - all too often - the writer and publisher themselves. It's like a Bizarro World version of real publishing in which everything is an unputdownable work of genius, even if it's really so awful the author will look back on it in a couple of years and rue the day it was published. Which is better for your development as a writer - uncritical flattery or constructive criticism?

*gets off soapbox*

No, it's important to ask hard questions. The first question anyone considering going with Anchor should ask themselves is: "Can this company produce a quality product and sell lots of copies?" At the moment I think the answer has to be "No".

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Exactly. A publisher needs to do more than avoid red flags. They need to provide proof of the positive as well.

And good intentions don't count as the positive. The AW publisher index is stuffed full of small publishers with good intentions who failed because they didn't know the business.

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
As usual, there are folks who want to charge in to the discussion with accusations of AW members "trashing" a publisher.

I think that when folk have a vested interest in something, they don't like hearing anything negative about it. When you have written a book,created this thing that you love and slaved over and which means a lot to you, to hear that the people you have trusted it with might not be the shiz after all, well, that can be a frightening thing. People react with anger and 'what would you know?' and 'you're all just jelus!!1!!' and 'unpublished assholes tearing down my superspeshulawesome publisher.'

I actually feel for the folks who get angry - they are confused and insulted and feel like THEY are the ones who are being judged. But that's not the case.

There are a lot of small presses out there doing a super job with great books and great authors and a superb product. But there are also a lot of them out there which produce substandard work and are staffed by employees with no previous experience who are treating publishing as a learning experience.

Pointing out flaws is, as Elizabeth graciously acknowledged, "constructive criticism" - not "trashing".

Exactly. For example - I like tattoos. I have many of them. When choosing a tattooist to trust my body with I like to check out them and their work. I visit the premises, observe the hygiene levels. I ask around in industry circles about them and I listen to any concerns etc that may be raised. I look at their previous work. I check to make sure they haven't had any hygiene related charges, bad work that resulted in damages etc. THEN I go in for a consultation and a chat with them, talk through what I want, I listen to what they have to say and then I go home and think about it. If, after all that, I think they are the right artist for me, then I make an appointment for some work. The same standards should apply no matter what industry you are thinking of. I would treat a publisher like a tattoo artist - they both have industry standards, experience and expectations that need to be considered before I'm going to let them loose with anything of mine.

Professionalism is what matters to the authors here.

This. Exactly this. It doesn't matter whether you are a multinational publisher with 5000 employees or a one man job - it's all about what you can do and what you can produce.

Yes, it must hurt to see your publisher being put through the wringer on AbsoluteWrite. But compare this with the dozens of gushing 5-star reviews many poorly-edited and/or poorly-written POD books garner on Amazon and Goodreads, most of which are obviously written by friends, other authors with the same publisher and - all too often - the writer and publisher themselves. It's like a Bizarro World version of real publishing in which everything is an unputdownable work of genius, even if it's really so awful the author will look back on it in a couple of years and rue the day it was published. Which is better for your development as a writer - uncritical flattery or constructive criticism?

Some people only ever want to hear the good. And they tend to equate ANY concern or criticism with some kind of hatred led conspiracy against them.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
4. We submit our ideas for the cover, a rough draft is created and send back for your input,changes and approval. It's up to you how the cover turns out. My bat girl cover was stunning .

I want to address this point because I think others have covered the editing.

I commented on the covers before. The one which originally made me wince has since been replaced with a better one, but they are still poorly executed.

Elizabeth, as a thumbnail, yours does nothing. The title is too small and difficult to read. The temperature of the boat and the moon is off (the whites are different shades) and the boat itself is obviously a day-time photograph - boats have lights on them of a night-time.

Karen, yours suffers problems also. Because the title is in black text, it's unreadable. It has the same colour balance discrepancy as above between the background image and the isolated image of the girl. Also, it looks as though some of the whites are burned out - it may cause issues with the printing. The font is also very similar to a different book by a different author (in a different series) - this is a bad thing. I'm glad you're pleased with it, but there are technical issues there. I think it could be made better.

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth: I don't think anyone is trying to harass you, we just don't want anyone's blood, sweet and tears to be lost to a publisher who doesn't know what they're doing. I hesitated to post something because I don't want you to think we're all piling on, but there was something about one of your posts that really bothered me.

You wrote:
She's not claiming to have experience or misdirecting her authors. I knew AG was a new company and was willing to submit my book to the learning process.
And then a little later in reference to getting books on bookshelves:
I can't speak to the progress on that, maybe that's my mistake, but I believe that Stacey knows what she's doing on that front and I'm letting her do her thing.
Either Stacey has no experience or she knows what she's doing - it can't be both. You don't go into the publishing business just magically thinking you can get books on bookshelves - all book shelves across the country, I mean, not just the bookstore nearest the author. This goes back to the whole point that one learns about publishing by working for a publishing company, not by starting a publishing company.

Shaldna already gave one good analogy but I've been mulling over another:

Say there are two McDonald's in your town.

McDonalds #1 has the nicest, sweetest people working there. They always call you by name and are just plain fun to talk to. But it usually takes 10 to 15 minutes to get your food and then they always get your order wrong. They give you Coke when you ask for Diet Coke and they hand you over cold soggy French fries with a Big Mac - when you asked for a Quarter Pounder meal.

McDonald's #2 has nice enough people working there and sure, they always remember your name, but they're so professional in how they behave. They don't really like to chat with you and instead are always just working away. But it usually takes just a couple minutes at the most to get your food and it's always piping hot and exactly what you ordered.

Which McDonald's would you go to? Which McDonald's would you encourage other people to go to?

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
I think that when folk have a vested interest in something, they don't like hearing anything negative about it. When you have written a book,created this thing that you love and slaved over and which means a lot to you, to hear that the people you have trusted it with might not be the shiz after all, well, that can be a frightening thing. People react with anger and 'what would you know?' and 'you're all just jelus!!1!!' and 'unpublished assholes tearing down my superspeshulawesome publisher.'

I actually feel for the folks who get angry - they are confused and insulted and feel like THEY are the ones who are being judged. But that's not the case.

Definitely! Having felt the sting of bad reviews, I know people can take these things very personally.

For those working with and for Anchor Group, please try to understand that no one is insulting them. No one is saying anything negative - they're just asking the hard questions. The members here ask the same questions of every new publisher (and many existing ones as well).

The truth is, there are better publishers out there.

But maybe the publishers we discuss will see what folks here have to say, take it to heart, and see if they can do better based upon the questions and concerns raised in these threads.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Anchor Group Publishing has now joined the ranks of the 'not recommended' on Preditors and Editors.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I'm having difficulty reading the author's names and the titles on the adult novel book covers. While pretty, the fonts make it an eyetwist to read.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having difficulty not seeing the cover illustration of Kasadya as a demonic schoolgirl brandishing a hockey stick.

Last edited:

SamanthaLehane

Not all who wander are lost
Registered
Reaction score
As someone that has been put through the wringer by a publisher with good intentions but little understanding and control over both their business and writers, I can tell you that not being published is better than being badly published. I had to drop an pen name over the dustup while a manuscript waited in limbo.

A subtle yet clear sign of inexperience is the fact that AG authors are here on the defensive. Do you think that Samhain or Ellora's Cave would have let their authors come into a thread like this on the defense for the team? There are ways that small publishers have bounce back from this kind of PR by the CEO clearly and specifically stating their business plans, promotion procedures, and editing process (Storm Moon Press is a good example of a Publisher making lemons into lemonade and really learning from the AW feedback). That should have been the only response from publisher's side, beyond fielding some questions, to this thread.

Besides, this is a writer's site, so unless the business plan is to sell books to authors researching the publishing style, bad PR here isn't all that important. I'd wager that most readers don't notice who published the book when they are looking to buy it. Cover, blurb, and reviews mean more.

SamanthaLehane

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Its easy to get burned in publishing by nice people who get in over their heads. I was 17 so I was just so excited to have my book published. I don't hold a grudge in anyway, but I definitely learned from the experience. Check the numbers, dig up the dirt, and don't keep your eggs in one basket!

Tibetan foxes are just cool creatures. The Life documentary series by the BBC has a great segment on Tibetan wildlife. I learned that everything is adorable on the Tibetan plateau.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
A subtle yet clear sign of inexperience is the fact that AG authors are here on the defensive. Do you think that Samhain or Ellora's Cave would have let their authors come into a thread like this on the defense for the team?

That's an excellent point, Samantha. And it's ironic that the author who was most aggressive in her support of the company was the one with the most ineptly-edited book in the AGP stable...which is exactly what happened in the Firefly and Wisp thread. This sort of loyalty comes perilously close to Stockholm Syndrome.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
As someone that has been put through the wringer by a publisher with good intentions but little understanding and control over both their business and writers, I can tell you that not being published is better than being badly published. had to drop an pen name over the dustup while a manuscript waited in limbo.
This.

It may not seem like it when you have a contract offer in hand, but it's absolutely true. Writer Beware's files are bulging with stories like this.

- Victoria

SamanthaLehane

Registered
Reaction score
Its a matter of oversight. Either the AG owner has enough control over the press's PR or she doesn't. There must not have been any guidance on official (and casual) online representation of the press.

I assume that she has no idea whats going on in this corner of the web (or else she probably would have gone into damage mode and posted a statement) than telling her authors to defend the press.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Besides, this is a writer's site, so unless the business plan is to sell books to authors researching the publishing style, bad PR here isn't all that important. I'd wager that most readers don't notice who published the book when they are looking to buy it. Cover, blurb, and reviews mean more.

At the moment the ONLY place anyone is likely to find an AGP book is online. A Google search for 'Anchor Group Publishing' reveals that this thread is eighth in the list. Were I Stacey Rourke I'd find this worrying enough to drop in and make a statement, especially after my publishing company was given a 'not recommended' rating by Preditors and Editors.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Their Alexa.com rank is really low: 7,269,614 with only 14 links. Unless there are serious marketing and press releases involved, finding these books on the internet is going to be needle-in-haystack time for readers with little time to browse.

This is not a guarantee of low or no sales for AGP authors. But a publisher's online presence is critical toward building awareness of its brand and its authors.

I hate to see new publishers with good intentions running smack into the sheer number of sites online. SEO tricks may help, as will in-genre reviews and articles in respected sources. But nothing beats word of mouth, and for that to even start, readers have to be able to FIND books.

I hope AGP irons out its teething pains, because we need more savvy independent publishers.

SamanthaLehane

Registered
Reaction score
A Google search for 'Anchor Group Publishing' reveals that this thread is eighth in the list.

Ouch. I didn't even think of the google search results.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
That's from the UK - results may differ elsewhere.

No, I remain as unimpressed as Samantha's Tibetan fox!

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
AW is sixth down for my neck of the U.S.A. (Northern Midwest.) Third down is "Our Books - Anchor Group Publishing" With this: "When Ethan Rice was four years old, he was diagnosed with high-functioning autism. Hedecided that he wanted to tell his first grade class that he had autism on ..." I clicked through to see if it was just a spider error, but it really does say "Hedecided" on the page.

It also has a link for their blog Anchor Group Publishing, but I don't see a link on the site to the blog at all. Maybe they decided to ditch it? It hasn't been used since July and it has a pretty bad design to it. (The background is far too busy.)

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, the complete sentence on the actual back cover of the book reads:

He decided that he wanted to tell his first grade class that he had autism on his seventh birthday.

That could have been phrased better.

There's another very unfortunate error in the Acknowledgements section of another Anchor book for children ($10.54 for 24 pages):

Of course a book is nothing with you the readers and my Facebook friends/fans!

The three little letters '...out' would have made so much difference there!

*facepalm*

Last edited: