Switching Off The Internal Editor/21st Century Girl

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a pretty common question, how to turn off the editor? But I think I've just hit a new dimenson.

So, my WIP has strong religious undercurrents, both Christian and 'pagan' [I hate that word.] Now, I was christened into the C of E, but I do not consider myself Christian, but I am not an Atheist either. So why do I feel almost embarrased writing about religion? And how do I turn off the internal editor? I am so close to finishing this draft it's frustrating!

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I love the word pagan!
Tell it to shut up. Honestly.

I had this problem when I started my story. The advice I got: put the sucker in a box and then sit on it. And ignore it at all costs! Listening to it is not an option. It's the simple methods that work the best. ^_^

Go for it! I love it when people tackle stuff they're not comfortable with. I love it when I do this myself. That's when your very best writing comes out. ^_^

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I love the word pagan!
Tell it to shut up. Honestly.

I had this problem when I started my story. The advice I got: put the sucker in a box and then sit on it. And ignore it at all costs! Listening to it is not an option. It's the simple methods that work the best. ^_^

Go for it! I love it when people tackle stuff they're not comfortable with. I love it when I do this myself. That's when your very best writing comes out. ^_^

Thanks. :)

*I think my dislike for the word pagan, is that when I read Roman Christian texts, it's used in a derogatory, sneering way.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Listen to the inner editor if it's saying things like: I think we could make this better by doing such and so. Ignore its when it's saying: This is junk; why are you even bothering to finish this tripe.

BTW, I'd love to read your story. Sounds interesting to me! I might be willing to beta it, though probably won't be available until September.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Hope it helps. ^_^

Something about the word pagan sounds so ancient and mystical. But I know what you mean. I had a couple of friends in college though that called themselves neo-pagans.

But I think it sounds like a really interesting story as well.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sort of working on a new project while I do revisions to the manuscript I'm querying. I'm really torn about a detail I think is important to understand my characters, but involves a significant act of violence against women that as a twenty-first century feminist, I'm pretty disgusted by. I can't decide if I should include it or if my fellow twenty-first century feminists are going to be too put-off by it.

I do sometimes find myself planning or writing, and having a part of me think, "Oh, come on, that's ridiculous," and then having to remind myself that I'm writing a historical novel. Usually my fascination with why people thought that way overcomes my internal editor.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"pagan" - the word is etymologically the same as "peasant" (& identical in Latin - "paganus") and originally meant pretty much the same thing - country bumpkin. Hence the (urban, upper-class) Roman sneering. It's not just religion - it's class & culture. Nothing mystical, though. That bit's entirely modern.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I think the classical definition of a pagan religion is one that is polytheistic, having many gods. I'm writing about ancient Babylon and although they had a main city god, they had temples for and worshipped many more. Each citizen had a personal god of their own choosing but were also free to worship and appeal to many other gods. That's what I think of when I think of a religion as pagan.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I'm sort of working on a new project while I do revisions to the manuscript I'm querying. I'm really torn about a detail I think is important to understand my characters, but involves a significant act of violence against women that as a twenty-first century feminist, I'm pretty disgusted by. I can't decide if I should include it or if my fellow twenty-first century feminists are going to be too put-off by it.

I do sometimes find myself planning or writing, and having a part of me think, "Oh, come on, that's ridiculous," and then having to remind myself that I'm writing a historical novel. Usually my fascination with why people thought that way overcomes my internal editor.

Well, there have been some pretty disgusting acts of violence against both women and men down through the ages so if you need it you need it.

Here's a tip from Donald Maass in "The Fire in Fiction" - 'Violence in many manuscripts is rushed. Essential visual action is dry and objective, or sometimes buried and hard to follow. Focusing on less obvious visual details and unexpected emotions can make violence visceral and fresh.'