What's the most work you've ever lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizdrah

Registered
Reaction score
30,000 words, due to hard-drive failure. I ended up re-writing it from scratch.

I now meticulously back up everything I write.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
I lost about 90,000 words once. It was awful. I could only imagine what you felt triceretops.

Josie Cloos

Registered
Reaction score
In my own head most of the time, but I take jaunts
I lost six screenplays, a novel, numerous short stories, journals I kept since I was 14, and a bunch of artwork. I didn't have a computer, so the writing was in long hand or typewritten. It included my first completed screenplay, and the novel I had been writing since I was 18. I kept it in a rubberneck and one day my ex decided to be an ass because he was pissed at me, and he took the whole thing to the dump. I didn't write for years after that. I still don't draw.

I condensed the novel down into a short story but other than that I haven't attempted to recreate anything else.

Earlier this year, when my hard drive crashed, I thought I'd lost a lot of my recent work-I had some things online. But I figured out how to retrieve the information from my external. Yay.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
A whole novel [100,000 words] thanks to a corrupted floppy disk. And no, I didn't have a back up, and an agent had just made a request for a full. :cry:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I lost an entire folder of poetry and short stories to a computer crash. Every. Single. One. :cry:

I also lost some of my world building research...it just mysteriously disappeared from the main file, never to be found again. :Shrug:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I back up to three separate locations--two of them online--every time I finish writing for the day.

I would be upset to even lose a page. I'm not a fast writer.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
the worst: 88 pages of my first novel. i lost them when a lightning storm fried my brand new gateway computer the week i bought it. --anyone remember gateways? i did get a new computer out of it and the novel did survive on legal pads in a trunk. i did eventually finish it. it is called fruit salad and wings and will be coming out in november.

second worst: rough drafts for a couple of short stories. really don't know what went wrong that time--my screen turned into lines of little gray dots. the tech guy at school managed to save most of my hard drive but the thing i was working on and one other were gone. i didn't have any paper back ups that time. also lost my screensaver--a photo of my late husband in his twenties. it just wasn't there any more. strange. i do have the original snapshot... somewhere, but that was the heart breaker--s6

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Several times back when I didn't have a hard drive, and the only copy was on a floppy disk and if that got corrupted and I hadn't printed out yet.... Youngsters today don't realize how lucky we have it because of this:

Long story short, I now have copies saved in three different places - the computer, a memory stick, and on Dropbox. This will never happen to me again.

And I threw away the only hard copy of a novel before there was such a thing as e-publishers or self-publishing on kindle, and it got good responses from editors back then...should have kept it. Maybe I'd have made a couple grand off it today. Ah well, dem's the breaks.

I've referenced it before, but in the Oakland Fire of ?2001? Maxine Hong Kingston, a slow writer, lost her newly completed novel. And her house and everything she owned. More info on that loss is on the wikipedia page for her.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I recently lost the notes I had made for my next book. It was disappointing, but not devastating. I took the notes on Penultimate for the iPad. But then dropped my iPad and had to get it replaced. I backed everything up, but apparently it didn't save the different notebooks I had in Penultimate. Lesson learned for that ;)

I do still remember most of the ideas so I should be able to recreate, though I know I'm missing a few plot points.

All my actual drafts I throw into dropbox about once a week or whenever I reach a particular milestone. I haven't needed it yet, but it's good to know it's there for when I do.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've probably only lost a few hundred words at a time, although I did throw about a couple hundred poems in a fit of housecleaning once because I wasn't sure I would ever be willing to sit down and transcribe them.

I currently have my entire writing collection saved in Dropbox, which means I also have copies of every file on two different computers. And occasionally (very rarely) I back it up to a flash drive, just for kicks.

Amory

May the odds be EVER in my favor.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pucktheperv.livejournal.com
The most work I've ever lost was probably my job as an insurance agent. But I was actually glad to lose it. 50 hours a week of work sucked.

Oh, wait. That probably wasn't what you meant.

I once lost a huge hunk of a novel I'd been working on for two years... and it's literally LOST. As in, I KNOW I have it somewhere and, in fifty years I'll probably stumble across it, but a HUGE search of all the boxes in the garage, attic, and storage did not reveal the hardcopy and I STILL don't know where I stuck that dang harddrive! It's probably under my bed or in my sex toys junk drawer or something. I think the most frustrating part is that I know Ima find it someday... after I've already finished that story!

Status
Not open for further replies.