Olympics 2012

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, BBC. 16 days of 24/7 coverage and not a commercial break in sight.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
So after spending the last year telling us what a shambles the Olympics could be, the UK media has decided it all went rather well and we can be proud of ourselves.
What does the rest of the world think? Was it a good Olympics?

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the Olympics themselves were beyond awesome--I'd be close to "best ever" as far as venues, organization, and knowing when to stick with tradition and when to break with it.

The closing ceremonies lost me a bit. But that's a minor detail :D.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
The men's marathon was pretty good as well. Really pleased for the winner.
I kept thinking he was struggling behind in third and the Kenyans were going to drop him. Did he ever prove me wrong!

Last edited:

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
It looked pretty good from here... I liked all the little touches, like the sprinklers they had set up for outdoor runners.
I also loved that any time there was running in public, they seemed to have people lining the course.

Of course, it would look all glossy from our perspectives though... we're watching through a TV screen.

The305itself

Registered
Reaction score
I was watching fencing late at night, because nothing else was on, and I though it was going to be boring as fudge, but I ended up watching for like 2 hours straight and I was getting so into it!

bilbo1975

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you, BBC. 16 days of 24/7 coverage and not a commercial break in sight.

Thank you? I would say "I've had it with the BBC!" lol!
I don't think the Olympics is as well-loved and enjoyed by the world as the media and some of us like to think.

The Olympics is only one of the most viewed sporting events because it's rammed down everybody's throat, broadcasting on almost every channel in the world.

One can hardly get away from it once it gets a foothold. I think we just get tired of trying to avoid it, so we submit to the pressure and leave it on the television.

Last edited:

BrumBall

Keep Right On
Registered
Reaction score
Bilbo, the Olympics is one of the most viewed events because, despite what you want to think, people enjoy watching them. 'Broadcasting on almost every channel in the world' is complete bollocks, as I suspect you probably know. In Britain only the BBC broadcasted it, so you had every other channel in the country to watch, Olympics free.

If you 'submitted to the pressure' then you must be pretty weak willed. Most people would just turn over or do something else.

PS, an over rated player signing for an average team isn't 'important and significant' to anyone apart from West Ham fans, despite the Cockney press making it out to be the signing of the century :)