AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it harder for people from another country to get an US agent?

Quote Originally Posted by The JoJo View Post
    This is interesting, I had never considered sending submissions to agents outside my country. I have a question, though. My novel is naturally written using British spelling and conventions. If I was to submit my work to an American agent, would it be advisable to change it to US spellings and formatting first?
    In my experience, agents don't mind and it's not worth the time and effort to change. Switching from British to American English is something English speakers tend to *think* is incredibly easy, but in reality there's a lot of tiny subtleties and quirks that even the most attentive writer will miss. I think it's better to write in your own English rather than try to imitate American English and risk tripping up an agent with an obvious-to-them mistake.

The BrE/AmE change can be done later by professional copyeditors at a publishing house, who are skilled professionals at localisation. There's no need for a writer to take that extra burden upon themselves when AmE agents don't mind reading BrE, and vice versa.
    Last edited by EMaree; 09-30-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    Avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon (or teadragon, depending who you ask).

I have an agent!

Writing:
    M/M British Urban Fantasy
    With Agent (eeee): Giant Robots Project

figuring it all out
    I'm worried for that because I'm writing everything in English. My thoughts, my prayers, my writings are all in English even though my native language is Greek. I'm thinking what problems I would come across if I ever wanted to publish. But it's a very interesting question which does make me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by EMaree View Post
    In my experience, agents don't mind and it's not worth the time and effort to change. Switching from British to American English is something English speakers tend to *think* is incredibly easy, but in reality there's a lot of tiny subtleties and quirks that even the most attentive writer will miss. I think it's better to write in your own English rather than try to imitate American English and risk tripping up an agent with an obvious-to-them mistake.

The BrE/AmE change can be done later by professional copyeditors at a publishing house, who are skilled professionals at localisation. There's no need for a writer to take that extra burden upon themselves when AmE agents don't mind reading BrE, and vice versa.
    Thank you, that helps a lot. Yeah, a friend of mine very kindly offered to go through my work as an editor, and managed to find a couple of 'Americanisms' I had unknowingly slipped in :-D

This interests me as well. I'm a native English speaker, (Canadian) but I've grown up with both Brits and Americans, so my English is a mixture at the best of times, and spell-checkers don't catch all the subtle nuances.

Useful thought, Gingerwoman. Also am interested in your paranormal romance so shall go look it up.
    behind every gifted woman there's usually a rather talented cat

practical experience, FTW Antipode91's Avatar
    It's not impossible, but some agents aren't a fan. Trying to pay you when you don't have a bank account in America is a pain in their ass haha.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipode91 View Post
    It's not impossible, but some agents aren't a fan. Trying to pay you when you don't have a bank account in America is a pain in their ass haha.
    Agents are used to dealing with money from all over the world. They get paid by publishers everywhere, they deal with sub agents in other countries, and with authors who move houses, countries and continents. They have finance departments full of staff who know what they're doing. It's no big deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12