Winter outside a house with children in a horse-drawn sleigh

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Victoria Foyt's novel coming under fire...

Not so secret agent
    I did a blog post on her and this book (shameless plug). I'm white and Jewish with the tiniest Cuban added in, not that ANY of that matter, but I was horrified at this whole thing. It's honestly just frightening. Coals? Pearls? Ambers? I'm still flabbergasted at the OVERT racism. And the fact she thinks she's promoting racial harmony or something? Someone said upstream they felt ashamed to be white. Little story off-topic.

My grandfather liberated a concentration camp during WW II. I have some copies of the pictures they took for their records. He always said, seeing what the Nazis/Germans did made him ashamed to be a human being.

Like she said upstream, it makes me ashamed to be white.

Foyt is so blinded to white privilege...it's just frightening.

Rant over.
    *opinions are my own*

The Tobias Literary Agency
    Twitter: @TheTobiasAgency
    Twitter: @LaneHeymont

Worst song played on ugliest guitar Libbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aruna View Post
    Stop The GR Bullies has blogged in defence of Foyt.
    Oh, I am astounded.

ASTOUNDED.

THIS IS MY ASTOUNDED FACE. :|

And just when it seemed to be dying down, Weird Tales decides to publish a chapter of the book, announced with a defensive note from the editor saying it's 'thoroughly non-racist' and 'anyone with an appreciation for irony' will get that.

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/2012/0...n-racist-book/
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

Quote Originally Posted by Polenth View Post
    And just when it seemed to be dying down, Weird Tales decides to publish a chapter of the book, announced with a defensive note from the editor saying it's 'thoroughly non-racist' and 'anyone with an appreciation for irony' will get that.

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/2012/0...n-racist-book/
    Wow. Just wow. He/She completely misses all the points that people made. Especially the people of color. Apparently their voice isn't as important as his/hers and that white author. Un-freaking-believable.

My website: M/M Romance Author Dani Alexander and Dani on Goodreads

Shattered Glass by Dani Alexander - Available now at: Amazon.com and Smashwords and Allromanceebooks.com

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Oh, Weird Tales. How the mighty have fallen.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Oh, dammit, I have a story out with them. Well, if that's how they feel I'm pulling my story today. Thanks for the update.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

and she was never seen again zahra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    Oh, dammit, I have a story out with them. Well, if that's how they feel I'm pulling my story today. Thanks for the update.
    Good for you. Hope you can sell the story elsewhere. Let us know.
    WIP horror
    FREETS Editing
    WATCH ALL NIGHT Editing
    OPEN HOUSE About to start
    UNEARTHED You're next, love.

I write novels
    He's posted his editorial on Amazon, as well. *headdesk*

I've asked my agent about it, since she was the one who first alerted me about their submissions window in late May.

This M/M space opera

And the story has been pulled, with a bland and polite letter about how the story needs revision. Which it probably does, since I'm going a different way with it. It had been a mainstream fantasy set in the Mesolithic Era, but I can see ways to up the heat content and send it to an erotic romance e-pub. And BTW, it does have characters who aren't white.

This M/M space opera

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Weird Tales went into a nosedive IMNHO, last year when it was sold to its current owners and the previous editor was let go. My own inclination would to be to avoid it. It is not now what it was when it won Hugos.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Banned for Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Polenth View Post

He appreciates irony about as well as Alanis Morissette does.

Coincidentally (?), Marvin Kaye was the editor of Orson Scott Card's Hamlet's Father...

Worst song played on ugliest guitar Libbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    And the story has been pulled, with a bland and polite letter about how the story needs revision. Which it probably does, since I'm going a different way with it. It had been a mainstream fantasy set in the Mesolithic Era, but I can see ways to up the heat content and send it to an erotic romance e-pub. And BTW, it does have characters who aren't white.
    I wish you'd told them you pulled it because they support Victoria Foyt...and also because it needs revision.

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post
    Weird Tales went into a nosedive IMNHO, last year when it was sold to its current owners and the previous editor was let go. My own inclination would to be to avoid it. It is not now what it was when it won Hugos.
    Ah, shucks. I always adored its cover art, and it was one of the places I was interested in slinging my portfolio.

I guess things change.

and she was never seen again zahra's Avatar
    Ann Van der Meer has resigned from Weird Tales, effective immediately. Shame on them.

I really hope all this doesn't develop into a case of 'No such thing as bad publicity' for STP.
    WIP horror
    FREETS Editing
    WATCH ALL NIGHT Editing
    OPEN HOUSE About to start
    UNEARTHED You're next, love.

practical experience, FTW
    Wow. That's admirable that she resigned because who wants to be out of a job? I hope more people boycott them.

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    My personal feeling, Victoria Foyt is far too invested in this book as the author to every say, I fucked up. She is not going to back down, she is not going to pull the book, she is not going to admit her ignorance about racism.

At this point, it is in her self interest to continue with her current line of I am not a racist, the book is not racist, and the PoC who are claiming it is racist, are racist themselves...

No end in sight...

What I have wondered through this whole thing is why she did not write from the PoC perspective? Her beast man as she calls him, could have fought to save the Pearls because he realized they were instituting reverse discrimination and genocide and two wrongs do not make a right.

Might have been much more interesting and thought provoking...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

The force is strong in this one. williemeikle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libbie View Post
    I wish you'd told them you pulled it because they support Victoria Foyt...and also because it needs revision.
    I just did :-) Pulled my story and cited their racism and their obvious lack of quality control as my reasons.

I didn't say that in my letter, because at the time I wanted to keep doors open on Ann. Now that she's gone, it's a moot point - I won't be submitting anything to WT while its course is charted by the remaining editors.

This M/M space opera

I write novels
    And the publisher just overruled the editor.

A very good apology, but I'm still not sure I'd submit there in the future as long as that editor remains.

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    From the above article...

"Marvin says if you read the whole book, she explains her use of this imagery, and it ends up as a plea for tolerance."

Marvin still does not get it. At best it is a misguided plea for tolerance based on the authors limited view of what racism is...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

practical experience, FTW
    A plea of tolerance from a person who holds the privilege and slams PoC who criticise her. I'm not surprised that some white people don't see what's racist about the book.

And this QFT:

I have not read the novel, but have gone over its online presence today. I have no need to read it. I saw the blackface video and read the excerpts the author and publisher chose to make available. I must conclude that the use of the powerful symbols of white people forced to wear blackface to escape the sun, white women lusting after black “beast men,” the “pearls” and “coals,” etc., is goddamned ridiculous and offensive. It seems like the work of someone who does not understand the power of what she is playing with.
    Looks like the publisher understood the racism of this book at least.

I write novels
    Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    A plea of tolerance from a person who holds the privilege and slams PoC who criticise her. I'm not surprised that some white people don't see what's racist about the book.
    All too true, sadly enough.

The publisher was pretty forthright in calling it racist. I suspect he will be keeping a much closer eye on Kaye in the future. (If he even keeps Kaye on board.)

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you mscelina's Avatar
    Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
    I don't think the editor was in any way supporting the ideology of the story or the theme. I think that in light of some of our recent controversies--like Goodreads bullies--the editor might have been going to the defense of an author who presented herself as the victim of unwarranted abuse. That seems the most likely scenario to me. Weird Tales is such an institution in the community. And while I am encouraged by the publisher's response, which was very appropriate and heartfelt, I think we'll find that the editor's biggest fault was not utilizing his Google-fu to see what this author's specific controversy was.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast