AW Amazon Affiliate Store

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Victoria Foyt's novel coming under fire...

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW
    I thought this thread would be here. I was about to post a link in another thread. I think there is something telling that she named the white people 'pearls' and the PoC 'coals'.

This is what the blurb on Amazon says
    Eden Newman must mate before her 18th birthday in six months or she will be left outside to die in a burning world. But who will pick up her mate-option when she's cursed with white skin and a tragically low mate-rate of 15 per cent? In a post-apocalyptic, totalitarian, underground world where class and beauty are defined by resistance to an overheated environment, Eden's colouring brands her as a member of the lowest class, a weak and ugly Pearl. If only she can mate with a dark-skinned Coal from the ruling class, she'll be safe. Just may be one Coal sees the Real Eden and will be her salvation her co-worker Jamal has begun secretly dating her. But when Eden unwittingly compromises her father's secret biological experiment, she finds herself in the eye of a storm and thrown into the last area of rainforest, a strange and dangerous land. Eden must fight to save her father, who may be humanity's last hope, while standing up to a powerful beast-man she believes is her enemy, despite her overwhelming attraction. Eden must change to survive but only if she can redefine her ideas of beauty and of love, along with a little help from her "adopted aunt" Emily Dickinson.
    I liked Kira's review on it. She talks about aspects of the novel as she read it:
    I digress. But it's just this sort of thing I abhor: dressing up racism to make it look like some kind of beautiful amazing metaphor. The girl in this book WANTS to go back to a world where the white people reign supreme. She has dreams about black men attacking her and all the black men are portrayed as monsters or "beasts".
    All sounds horribly racist.

ETA: this review signals out how I feel about the authors naming of races in the novel so I thought I'd post this snippet:
    ETFA: Oh man I can't believe that this series title is called Save the Pearls = Save the Whites. What? Seriously?

ETFA2: Her characters are played by actors in blackface on her youtube channel.

And she seems to think that the only problem with her characters she will face backlash of is the interracial relationship in this article by her.

To quote Victoria Foyt's anecdote about her childhood in this article:
    Imagine this: a fourth grade girl with wild curly hair, huge green eyes and large bee-stung lips, her skin perpetually tanned from the Florida sun, stands alone waiting for her mother to pick her up after school. A large yellow school bus begins to pull away when a young boy sticks his head out of the window and hurls a racial slur at the girl.

Her first reaction is shame. He has slandered her with an ugly epithet -- a disgusting remark about her lips. Later, she wonders how he could possibly have mistaken her race. She is white, the remark usually targeted at blacks. (The term "African American" did not exist in that day.)

Confused and hurt, she wonders why her appearance should elicit such hatred. She hides this incident in the back of her mind and never repeats it to anyone until many years later when she writes a book in which she turns racial stereotypes upside down.

Only when I began to answer interview question and answers, did I recall the incident, and wonder how it had informed the story. Writers pluck bits and pieces from their lives and weave them, often unconsciously, only hoping the seams between reality and fiction do not show.
    Last edited by fireluxlou; 07-28-2012 at 01:35 PM.