Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Every so often, my computer crashes and then goes into a reboot. Just this morning, when I tried to do a quick Norton scan like I always do, it blinked out and went to the manufacturer's logo screen. I had to unplug and restart.

Question: What is the best mode of startup when this happens?

1. Start Windows normally
2. Safe Mode with networking
3. Safe Mode.

I've been using #1 lately, but I'm afraid I might have a repeat. This looks, feels, suspiciously like a virus. But I'm really afraid to go into Norton again. I did a complete Norton scan and defrag yesterday and it was okay for awhile. Just wondering if the Norton files are corrupted and if this has anything to do with that major scare we had not to long ago.

Any help (simple instructions), would be great.

tri

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Boot into safe mode and have a clean memory stick ready with some antivirus on it - something like Malwarebytes Antimalware is what I usually use. Run a full scan off the stick and see if it turns anything up.

When the computer reboots, are you getting a Blue Screen of Death, or any kind of error message?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Make a list of what you did with your computer recently.

I had the very same problem and found out it was caused by the Seagate external drive I use for backup. My desk got full somehow and I put a book on top of the drive, which - apparently - has a tendency to overheat. Moving the drive solved the problem.

-cb

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
When it reboots, it goes to the "Zotac" screen, which is kind of fuzzy. Zotac is the manufacturer of the new motherboard that was installed about a year ago. It is part of the startup program.

If it happens again, I'll try Safe Mode.

tri

So it just quits back to the BIOS.... hmm. Which OS are you running - Windows XP, Win 7...?

Two possibilities spring to mind. Did this begin back when you had the new motherboard installed? It could be an issue with incompatible RAM or something. The other is Norton, which often seems to be a culprit in weird issues like this, and does seem to be associated with your crashes.

I'd run a full malware / virus scan in safe mode; then test your RAM with Memtest (I think that's what it's called - a free program you run off a memory stick); and then try uninstalling Norton and replacing with something like Microsoft Security Essentials (which is both free and good.)

The_Riskbreaker

knows bears make everything worse
Registered
Reaction score
Putting MalwareBytes or other utilities on a USB drive or CD is good, but why not just make it a Hyram's Boot Driver/Disc? You'd get a lot of useful tools. Not necessarily MalwareBytes, but I don't think it's a virus. Better to get general diagnostics before jumping to the infection claim.

It could be a power supply issue with the PS going bad, or it could be memory. Usually memory would cause error beep codes unless the stick has died.And you could check that by seeing how much memory Windows reports.

Torgo is right. More info would be helpful.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
It's Windows XP, and my nephew has told me that it does get wonky every so often and to change to Windows 7 because it's a better operating program.

No, this crashing has been in just the last three days or so. It appears that when I let the computer actually run or warm up longer before entering key commands, it functions normally.

Now, could be a ton of dust inside on the components. I might try a blow to get the bunnies out. It might be running hot, in spite of the air condition in the room.

Thanks for all your comments.

tri

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely choose Safe Mode and make sure to reboot again after a clean startup, if you can get one.

The USB anti-virus/-rootkit/-malware is very important. I'm still suggesting a firm called Greatis software that has great free products. Or Kapersky, which is always solid (but hard to access with some viruses).

I'd recommend a System Restore from a nice clean period. That won't often help if it's a virus, but it'll narrow down the troubleshooting even if it doesn't solve things.

It could be so many things at this point. Cleaning out the dust is always a good idea, so do that early in the process, too, imho.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Zotac is your Bios and is the system you can use to make some basic changes to the set up (such as deciding which disc to boot from). Best not to play with the Bios unless you know what you are doing as these changes can severely mess up your system...

Win7 better than XP? Hmmm, I would beg to differ... if you have a computer running XP and it is old enough to have had XP installed on it originally (i.e. you didn't buy it recently and uninstall vista or similar to install XP) then you may find it is incapable of running Win7. This would mean massive resource lags as your computer tries to run software that is just too big for it (or even fails to run at all). If you want to run Win7, you are better off buying a new computer that has it installed on it.

Have you got a back up of everything on your current hard drive and a way to reinstall all programs? If so, you may find it easier to completely reformat the hard drive and do a fresh install. For computers that have been running a few years, this is often a good step as it clears everything. It definitely clears viruses and will also clear all the accumulated crap you have undoubtedly built up in various temp files. Windows in general is not a neat and tidy OS, it tends to hoard stuff in places you cannot always find it to delete it.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Made a mistake--I have Windows Vista in there.

Anyway, dear God, I solved the problem. The tipoff came when I rapped my knuckles on the top of the computer case and the screen went blank. I thought connection right away.

Torn off the service cover and saw that the CPU fan and processor underneath was clogged completely with dust. I brushed it out--didn't have pressurized air--but I got it all. Then I unplugged every damn ribbon and wire connection and replugged, including the memory sticks. Put it back together and Presto!

Jesus. Learn from my lack of maintenance, folks. A dirty computer with oxidized connections will stop you dead in your tracks.

tri

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
There you go!

A note of caution: don't blow pressured air through a fan you haven't immobilised using, say, a pencil. If you spin it it can act as a generator and blow your motherboard.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
There you go!

A note of caution: don't blow pressured air through a fan you haven't immobilised using, say, a pencil. If you spin it it can act as a generator and blow your motherboard.

Thanks for that tip. I only brushed thoroughly and it seemed to get everything. Fingers crossed--it working like a charm and running faster than before.

My God. I lucked out completely.

tri

Status
Not open for further replies.