How long before you found your rhythm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
What I mean is this - When I wrote my first full length novel I did it in three weeks. I edited once, and put it away. From start to finish it was four and a half to five weeks. The second full length book I put more thought into it, but edited as I went, not really going back over it more than once.

Now, I have a book I've released into the world. This book took me about six months. I actually did a little outlining, wrote, rewrote, edited, rewrote again, had a couple of people read through it, edited again, then finally released it. The book I'm working on now has more intricate subplots sprinkled through so it's taking me even longer.

I've learned over the past few years I'm a plotser - I plot some of the high points, making sure I'm completely in tuned with the characters, but then I let the characters take over. This seems to be what works best for me.

How long did it take you to find your rhythm for writing, and how do you go about completing your novel?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm learning that every novel is unique. My first took four months. One took me 15 years and will probably require more revision, if not being dropped down a well. Others averaged a year or so. The one that just sold took three months, plus another two for various editorial revisions.

I have different writing styles, so there are different rhythms.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
What I mean is this - When I wrote my first full length novel I did it in three weeks. I edited once, and put it away. From start to finish it was four and a half to five weeks. The second full length book I put more thought into it, but edited as I went, not really going back over it more than once.

Now, I have a book I've released into the world. This book took me about six months. I actually did a little outlining, wrote, rewrote, edited, rewrote again, had a couple of people read through it, edited again, then finally released it. The book I'm working on now has more intricate subplots sprinkled through so it's taking me even longer.

I've learned over the past few years I'm a plotser - I plot some of the high points, making sure I'm completely in tuned with the characters, but then I let the characters take over. This seems to be what works best for me.

How long did it take you to find your rhythm for writing, and how do you go about completing your novel?

Well, I don't believe in ever putting a manuscript away, but that aside, I never worried about. I'm not sure what you mean by "rhythm".

I don't outline, and I never, ever plot. I just sit down and tell a story, and I've followed Heinlein's Rules religiously from day one.

I write it, I submit it, and I keep submitting it until someone buys it.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't believe in ever putting a manuscript away, but that aside, I never worried about. I'm not sure what you mean by "rhythm".

I don't outline, and I never, ever plot. I just sit down and tell a story, and I've followed Heinlein's Rules religiously from day one.

I write it, I submit it, and I keep submitting it until someone buys it.

I mean the "style" of writing that works best for you. I can't fully plot a book; it never works for me. I do, however, plot out some major details, but then let the story unravel.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Haven't found it yet and not sure I ever will. Writing constantly evolves. I do find that it takes me less time to write novels now than it took to write my earlier novels.

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
I plot a book, I sit down, I write the book. I give myself a deadline around an average of 2k words a day, but at least once a week have a day where I write significantly more, sometimes upwards of 5k words.

I don't think for me it is a matter of finding a rhythm. I mean, when I worked in commission sales, I had to go to work every day and do my job, if I didn't do it, I didn't get paid, so I went to work, sat down and did my job.

I treat writing the same way. I sit down and do my job.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I sort of found it in late 2008, but it's been evolving ever since. I used to outline a book within an inch of its life, now I'm pretty vague about it, though I do still outline. Most of the time. I used to write in sequence, now I don't think I could write a book in sequence to save my life. Back then it was one book at a time, finish that one, move on to the next; now I sometimes write 2-3 first drafts at the same time. It still takes me roughly the same amount of time to finish a book (2-6 weeks for a novel), but some take a little longer now only because I'm working on multiple books simultaneously.

So I'd say it took about ten years of stumbling around, figuring out the craft, and finding my stride, and then everything has just sort of evolved since then.

NyxAustin

Registered
Reaction score
I'll let you know when I find it.

I agree with this statement completely. My first attempts at novels took months and months until they trailed off. Then I joined Nanowrimo for June, and poof a month later I have a completed first draft. Editing is more difficult.

Hoping I get into a pace eventually.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
I haven't found it yet, but I think I'm getting closer.

I'm just beginning my fourth novel and I've morphed from a panster to a full-fledged outliner. My last novel I outlined *some* and found it really worked for me. This time I'm attempting to outline the entire novel beforehand. Perhaps not chapter-by-chapter, but certainly in relative chronological order. Then again, my plots are getting more intricate and detailed, so that might be a reason why I find outlining helpful.

As far as voice, pacing, progression...I think I've got my rhythm in those areas.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... "three weeks." Wow. That's quick. For me, I let the rythmn find itself - which is ironic as I can't even spell the confounded word. If a project is really intense I may need months before embarking on a similar one. If it isn't, then I'm good to go the next day. Usually, I take a pause of some sort. It really isn't necessary to push yourself continually without interruption. That can be counterproductive.

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
... "three weeks." Wow. That's quick. For me, I let the rythmn find itself - which is ironic as I can't even spell the confounded word. If a project is really intense I may need months before embarking on a similar one. If it isn't, then I'm good to go the next day. Usually, I take a pause of some sort. It really isn't necessary to push yourself continually without interruption. That can be counterproductive.

Yep, three weeks....and it read like a book that was written in three weeks. lol

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I had much of it before, I just had to learn to kill stuff that needed killing....the rest I picked up, more than anything, from hanging out in QLH.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I write a novel in either 48 hours or 72 hours. Then I edit it for a bit...then submit it. My attention spans about 6 minutes...it's best for me to write the first draft in one sitting.

I wouldn't suggest my way. Our job, as individual writers, is to find the way that works best. This way works for me.

The novel in my avi was written in 48 hours. It's been edited since, of course, but the bones and flesh were written in those 48 hours. The skin was the hard part.

John Petersen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I don't know really. I think up the concept from beginning to end, build the characters, write the outline of the story. Then go back and rewrite it.

I try to do each scene in fours parts but it doesn't always work out that way.

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
Since I edit as I go, a story of roughly 50,000 words takes me two months. But then, when I re-read for edit all I had to do was rewrite a few sentences and I worked with several other WIPs at the time.

I do make things slower, but it's worth it taking in consideration I don't need to do full rewrites and multiple drafts.

Amory

May the odds be EVER in my favor.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pucktheperv.livejournal.com
Is it bad that this post makes me sing?

I've got rhythm, I've got music, I've got my man, who could ask for anything more?

Well, I could ask for a finished book, a top agent, and a six figure publishing deal, but other than that... :p

Seriously, though, I find my rhythm whenever I actually force myself to sit and write. Otherwise I do what I am doing right now and spend all day on forums about writing instead of putt BI(writing)C and working.

John Petersen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I write a novel in either 48 hours or 72 hours. Then I edit it for a bit...then submit it. My attention spans about 6 minutes...it's best for me to write the first draft in one sitting.

I wouldn't suggest my way. Our job, as individual writers, is to find the way that works best. This way works for me.

The novel in my avi was written in 48 hours. It's been edited since, of course, but the bones and flesh were written in those 48 hours. The skin was the hard part.

Wow! How many pages?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Well...I don't entirely trust that I have it. I think I mostly have it, but I've read too many time by too many authors I respect (and whose new books I wait anxiously for) that the next novel comes along and nothing that worked before works now. Eeek. So I have it, but I know from this attention to others' woes that it might run away and join the circus or a lesbian commune in Oregon and leave me hunting for a new one.

It took me maybe 4 years of writing to get the discipline of it and longer to find my own comfortable daily word count. (which is, for the record, not a half a novel!) I still experiment with level of specificity in the outline. I think I just figured out last time the most efficient revision/editing path for me. And that's fine, that I might not know everything. If it were too rote, I'd think I were missing an opportunity to learn a new/better for me way.

Status
Not open for further replies.