How do you begin believing you're good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
Praise from family/friends is great, but they're never going to approach the material objectively, and even if they think what you've produced isn't very good, they will be hesitant to say so.

Sometimes.

I was in a pit of self-doubt once, and a friend with very good professional judgment complimented me on something I'd done well.

"You're just saying that because you're biased," I retorted.

He looked at me calmly, clearly unwilling to take any crap from me. "Yes, I am biased," he replied. "I'm also right."

It worked.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Nerofizz - Writers often fear they will be seen as frauds, because they feel their readers give them too much credit. If people call you brilliant, or hilarious, you become terrified that sooner or later readers will find out that you're in possession of no more than the average slightly-above-average intellect, and that you're really not that funny after all. Readers (especially avid fans) often confound the problem by noticing references you did not intend to make, connecting dots you never planned to have connected, and overall elevating your work to a higher level than you feel it warrants, given the conscious effort and intentions it took you to produce it. (Of course, for every fan that thinks you're the second coming, there will be three who think you're the literary equivalent of the antichrist.) Even with my (up-to-this-point) limited exposure to publication I've experienced readers giving me more credit than I'm due.

Also, there's the fear that whatever good writing you've produced up to now has been some kind of a fluke, and that you'll wake up tomorrow and from that point on only ever be able to produce what anyone in their right mind would rightfully regard as rubbish. After all, we don't know the answer to "Where do the words come from?" or at least, we don't know a satisfying answer. And so this makes us superstitious.

Sometimes.

I was in a pit of self-doubt once, and a friend with very good professional judgment complimented me on something I'd done well.

"You're just saying that because you're biased," I retorted.

He looked at me calmly, clearly unwilling to take any crap from me. "Yes, I am biased," he replied. "I'm also right."

It worked.

Of course I'm not saying that the opinions of those close to you can't be right. I'm just saying you can't trust them.

For example, my mom and I have very similar reading tastes. She reads a lot of books that I give her. When she told me how much she liked a recent novel of mine, I believed her. I think she's right. I think the novel is good, and her liking it is justified on grounds other than the fact that I came out of her womb.

My mom also told me that she thinks my novel is just as good as John Green's The Fault In Our Stars.

While she is of course entitled to her opinion, I take that statement with a grain of salt. Would she really say that if I weren't her son? Impossible to say.

Last edited:

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
You don't.

Plain and simple.
This.

And what's sad is that we need this fear tickling the back of our brain stems anyways. I mean, it's healthy to have a decent idea of your own self-worth, but the moment The Sucking Fear of Sucking (can somebody find me a phobia name for that one?) isn't there, we become complacent with our writing. We stop improving. We stop even considering truly new ideas and just recapitulate the ones which already exist. We stop being artists and become walking story factories.

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
My train of thought isn't that I'm not good -- frankly, comparing to some published books, I think I don't suck that much. But rather that I always have something to improve upon. Which is slightly better than thinking I'm not good enough but it leads me to trying to be perfect...

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Accept self-doubt as part of the human condition, then know when to trust it and when to tell it to go screw itself.

If you've made a study of what makes the writing you treasure strong, you have criteria to apply to your own writing. When self-doubt allows you to identify something wobbly in your work, it's done its job. Now shove it aside and fix the wobbly stuff.

When you can no longer find wobbly stuff, self-doubt will still whine and whimper. Now's the time to tell it to go screw itself, which will hurt its little feelings so much it'll run away long enough for you to send your work out and let the world decide.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
You don't, but having a sixth sense feeling on how things should look/read would most probably turn you into the right direction.

Without validation from readers, you can't really judge whether you're good or not. Scoring an agent and a contract is the bridge between, so that counts as well for being "good enough".

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a naturally confident person so I frequently think I'm not good enough for a lot of things, including writing.

So I just try to avoid thinking about the question of whether I'm good enough, and just focus on the enjoyment of writing. I think, as long as you enjoy what you're doing, the world's judgment of whether you're good enough is a secondary issue.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a naturally confident person so I frequently think I'm not good enough for a lot of things, including writing.

So I just try to avoid thinking about the question of whether I'm good enough, and just focus on the enjoyment of writing. I think, as long as you enjoy what you're doing, the world's judgment of whether you're good enough is a secondary issue.
Same. Sometimes I'll wallow in a pool of self-pity for a while, but then I remember that that doesn't write or sell books. I am determined to make writing my full-time profession and the only person who is going to do that is me. By actually writing. So then I just get back to my work and keep going.

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I can relate to this feeling. I've been really struggling with the thought that I'm a terrible writer, and considering where I am in the scope of a writing career (writing my first novel) I probably do suck. However, I've learned that the only thing you can do is put in your best effort. You can't expect perfection because you aren't perfect, and luckily no one else is either. You can only get better by continuing on and practicing.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I can relate to this feeling. I've been really struggling with the thought that I'm a terrible writer, and considering where I am in the scope of a writing career (writing my first novel) I probably do suck. However, I've learned that the only thing you can do is put in your best effort. You can't expect perfection because you aren't perfect, and luckily no one else is either. You can only get better by continuing on and practicing.

+2

(I added an extra point. ;) :D)

Completely agree.

NyxAustin

Registered
Reaction score
I think we just need to work toward perfection and realise that we will never meet it.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
My advice would be to read. A lot. Because I found that the thing that worked for me was the same thing that got me over my fear of learning to drive. Looking around and thinking, "Well, hell, I can do better than these idiots."

All joking aside, reading widely will show you that you don't have to be the most perfect, absolutely wonderful writer in the world to get published. I find that reading great writers inspires me to work harder, and reading not-so- great writers gives me hope that my stuff will be published some day.

Amory

May the odds be EVER in my favor.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pucktheperv.livejournal.com
Okay, here's what you're gonna do. Go to the store. Buy a big slab of cheese. Go in your kitchen. Pick up a knife. Carve "NOT GOOD ENOUGH" into the cheese.

Now take the knife and stab the cheese like a Hunger Games contestant on crack until it looks like it should have come in a sealed plastic baggie with "Great for salads OR burritos!" printed on it. If you feel the need to scream "TAKE THAT YOU STUPID WORTHLESS PIECE OF CRAP NOT GOOD ENOUGH BULLHICKEY!!!!!" at the top of your lungs as you stab, feel free. Now proceed to stuff all the cheese in your mouth at once, to show it who's boss. If at anytime during this ritual you begin to hear sirens, please hide in the closet.

There. Feel better now? Good. :D

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Okay, here's what you're gonna do. Go to the store. Buy a big slab of cheese. Go in your kitchen. Pick up a knife. Carve "NOT GOOD ENOUGH" into the cheese.

Now take the knife and stab the cheese like a Hunger Games contestant on crack until it looks like it should have come in a sealed plastic baggie with "Great for salads OR burritos!" printed on it. If you feel the need to scream "TAKE THAT YOU STUPID WORTHLESS PIECE OF CRAP NOT GOOD ENOUGH BULLHICKEY!!!!!" at the top of your lungs as you stab, feel free. Now proceed to stuff all the cheese in your mouth at once, to show it who's boss. If at anytime during this ritual you begin to hear sirens, please hide in the closet.

There. Feel better now? Good. :D

:roll::roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.