The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Social Security Number?

Barefootwriter

Social Security Number?

I just received a contract for some editing work. It requests my SSN. Is there a good reason for them to have it? The amount is under the $600 threshhold for a 1099.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Barefootwriter; 01-10-2006 at 03:55 AM.

under my September Skies in sunny California
    Have you asked them? Is there a potential for this to turn into a more-than-once editing? If so, maybe they just want to have it on record in case of future editing jobs.

a reader's ear and a writer's heart Arkie's Avatar
    If what you are doing is considered self-employment with the potential for higher earnings, I think giving the SSAN is appropriate and probably required.

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar
    Most publications require it because they're required to provide 1099s by the IRS if, cumulatively, the amount exceeds $600 in a year. It's only January, so it's quite possible it might. Most publications tend to ask the first time they pay an author, so they don't have to second guess whether it's been done. I get a new W-9 each year from publications that I haven't written for in some time. They keep it in the file for "just in case." It also keeps my mailing address up to date, which is an added benefit!
    Want FREE reads? Click here!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"An entertaining (and occasionally very dark) mystery." -- Locus

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author