• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jolly Fish Press

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Will be distributed by IPG come 2014.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Any more recent news on this publisher?

MorganS

Am I there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them on June 8th… I have no idea what kind of wait time is involved here… These guys seem great!

MorganS

Am I there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted on the 8th, and I've since received two other publishing offers. I did email them to inform them of the first offer a couple weeks ago, but no response. It appears they don't care, LOL. Moving on! :)

ChristiRSuzanne

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted

I submitted my first three chapters to Jolly Fish on January 13th after my twitter pitch was favorited. I hadn't heard of them before so I did some research and thought they seemed reputable. Fingers crossed.

SomethingAnimal

Registered
Reaction score
Just sent a second nudge. She's had my 150-page partial since 5/12/14. Nudged her in September but didn't hear back...

Still crossing fingers because I think this would be a lovely home for my grad school thesis. Since then, I've moved to more commercial work, so it's like... really important that something that's solid literary fiction finds a home.

ETA: Seems that a response got lost in the mail. Very close call on that novel. BUT good news is they're very interested in reading a YA I have. Here's hoping on that one.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I just subbed a reworked and re-title suspense novel to them. I'm, going to go back in my late archives and see what the hell I subbed to them. It might have my YA book, but I'm not sure. Doing that, it will tell me book what has a weak second act. If it was the suspense novel, I don't think they'll recognize it.

tri

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
For those who have quieried, who did you address the query letter to? I'm going to subt a book I just got the rights back to and i want to make sure it goes to the right person.

Gracias!

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
For those who have quieried, who did you address the query letter to? I'm going to subt a book I just got the rights back to and i want to make sure it goes to the right person.

Gracias!

I sent one to Acquisitions Editor and got a full request nearly three weeks later. Most small presses I've dealt with are fine with a generic salutation.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Yeah, they were fast to reply to a question I asked on FB so I'm hoping I get a full. I like their covers and the possibility of being distributed in bookstores. Would make trying to do some local author events a little easier!

Good luck with your full Tri!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
And good luck to you, Rose. They'll be swift. And I sure like the fact that they are distributed by IPG! However, this will have to be born out of fact, since they once said that they were "partnering" with IPG, whatever that means. Ya, know, either they really have a deal with them or they don't.

tri

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Received a starred #pitmad pitch from an editor here. Any experiences with JFP besides querying? There are no red flags, and they've been in business a few years, so that's a plus. But how are their books doing? What are their authors' experiences? Good, bad, meh?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
It can't be a good sign, though who knows; today everybody and his uncle asks for crowdfunding. I wouldn't say no to it myself, if any crowd wants to fund me.

I did look at their list of foreign subagents and it's impressive. Those folks are the real deal, which speaks well of this new press. On the other hand, their website give no clue who owns the company, which is less wonderful.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking for the editor's name on the site, and there doesn't seem to be any information about who works there.

I know some small presses that have done kickstarters that aren't horrible presses, but also don't have much in the way of sales.

Last edited:

thewritingpiazza

Author, lawyer, multi-tasker
Registered
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has had any dealing with Jolly Fish Press. They requested a query from me and I wanted to ask around before I submitted. Does anyone have any info on them?

smbishop

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know if Jolly Fish Press accepts full submissions on an exclusive basis only? I got a #PitMad request from them for partials. My ms is currently out with several agents and a small press. I'm just wondering if they would insist on an exclusive if ever my submission is elevated to full.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If they do ask for an exclusive full, just send the full with a note that the book is already out with others and that if there are any offers, you will let them know. (The exclusive is probably regarding the publisher, not agents, anyway)

As an aside, a #pitmad request is usually just to query the favoriting agent or editor, not a partial request, but JFP always wants 3 chapters with the query. This would not be considered a partial.

smbishop

Registered
Reaction score
If they do ask for an exclusive full, just send the full with a note that the book is already out with others and that if there are any offers, you will let them know. (The exclusive is probably regarding the publisher, not agents, anyway)

As an aside, a #pitmad request is usually just to query the favoriting agent or editor, not a partial request, but JFP always wants 3 chapters with the query. This would not be considered a partial.

Thanks for the advice, Sage.

And you're right. The #PitMad "fav" was not a request for partial but the standard submission requirement of query, synopsis and 3 chapters.