Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Detroit

Robert Detroit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertdetroit.com
Scenario: A writer is looking to self-publish his/her work and checks out many publishers that do self-publishing. After some research, the publishing company sends the writer a ISBN. The writer is considering a different publisher. No contracts, no manuscript uploads, only the title of the book was assigned to the ISBN. Can the new publisher use that number or can there be a different number assigned to the title?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
ISBNs aren't transferable. They each refer to a specific edition of a book. So no, you can't transfer this ISBN, you'll need a new one for the new publisher.

I am concerned, though, that you have this ISBN but suggest that the book wasn't published and no contracts were signed. This isn't at all usual.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen an ISBN assigned until it's published. May want to get with the publisher who assigned it and see what's up.

Jeff

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
ISBNs are often assigned prior to publication. If they weren't, books wouldn't be able to be listed anywhere until they hit the shelves, which would make it impossible to order them in order for them to reach those shelves.

They are also sometimes assigned to books before contracts are signed, if publishers are very keen. I've had this happen to me a few times, once by a very reputable publisher. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

Having said that I am concerned about why this particular publisher assigned an ISBN to the OP's book: it does sound a bit worrying.

Ixtila

↓ Shiny new avatar! ↓
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ellastradling.com
If you self publish with createspace, you are assigned (or provide your own) ISBN before you can even get your proof copy. They will not even review the files without it, and it can't be officially ''published'' until you have the files reviewed and proofed. So yes, it is assigned before publication, which may be why the OP says the book was never published.

Woops. Just realised this is an old thread. So sorry! :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.