The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Pelican Book Group

practical experience, FTW K. Victoria Chase's Avatar

Pelican Book Group

http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/

Christian publisher of ebooks and print. Three imprints: White Rose (romance), Harbourlight (mystery/suspense/crime/police procedural), and Watershed (YA).

Online submission form to White Rose on 6/24
    Full Request 7/18

Totally forgot I had submitted to them so this is a pleasant surprise--plus it's my third time. :-)
    K. Victoria Chase
    Author of Interracial Romance
    Amazon Amazon UK B&N Sony

practical experience, FTW K. Victoria Chase's Avatar
    Update:

After forwarding my MS, an editor replied saying she was in receipt of it and will reply in 90 days or less.
    K. Victoria Chase
    Author of Interracial Romance
    Amazon Amazon UK B&N Sony

Has anyone heard more on them? Do they pay advances? Are they legit?

I submitted to the YA imprint Watershed. They look pretty good.
    Last edited by Undercover; 02-12-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

FIX ME Goodreads Giveaway

Want to read FIX ME right now?

I hate to keep bugging people, but if they know anything about this publisher, that would be great.

The reason I am so interested is because I got a full request. I did some searching and found out they do pay an advance. It says in Sally Stuart's guide book that Harbourlight pays a "nominal advance." The "nominal" part scares me. How small can it really go? Maybe a token advance?

There's an agent from Hartline that I think represented a book by them. There it reads that they also do foreign rights too.

They're not on the P&E. Victoria, if you can come by and tell me more, I would appreciate that.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter Articles and writing tips for YA, inspirational quotes for writers and cats

writing, working, weeping, winning ohthatmomagain's Avatar
    I've subbed 2 books to them before. Both got a request for a full, but I decided to go with another publisher before I got any farther with Watershed. They only do paperbacks for books over 65K (which I didn't know with my second book and it was just 62 when I submitted it).

I see nothing wrong with them right off. I've thought about subbing to them again. Let me know how it goes with them
    available now CROSSING THE DEEP--

Out Now SAINT SLOAN
    ...every saint as a past...

Twitter: @martieKay

Thank you so much Oh. I didn't see that anyway in the guidelines. I really wish they would say that, that changes things. Thanks again.

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    P&E just got to them today and will post the listing later tonight. We don't have any complaints on file concerning them. In fact, they look all right so far.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Thank you so much, Dave. Much appreciate.

Does anyone have any information on response times on fulls with Watershed?

Thanks

Out Now SAINT SLOAN

This is the first I've heard of them. I think I might slip something to their watershed line. Nominal advance? That one irks me too. My crystal ball says about $100 or maybe a bit more. Heck, who knows. Tokens can run from 0 to $50, I'm reckoning.

ETA: I take that back. I think I'm a little too edgy for them.

tri
    Last edited by triceretops; 05-28-2013 at 08:19 AM.

15 days for me. They were quick.

And no, I don't think they give a good advance. More on the token side. Nor will they print your book unless it's a higher word count.

Well, heck, Lisa. Maybe they'll sit up and take notice of your sub. Let me know how that one pans out. I just don't have anything in my titles that reinforces or subtly promotes the Christian ethic. I know they want some type of a C foundation, and that would be a theme that would have to be carried out in the rest of the story. I'd miss on those points.

I think the only God or Jesus reference I have in my books are those of the used in vain variety. Gak.

tri

Oops, Tri. I should clarify. They requested a full (not sure between query and full) but I got a response the big R 15 days after they requested the whole thing. Sorry bout that.

Thanks though, Tri. As I told you before, I have other things in the works, so hopefully something good will come of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    Oops, Tri. I should clarify. They requested a full (not sure between query and full) but I got a response the big R 15 days after they requested the whole thing. Sorry bout that.

Thanks though, Tri. As I told you before, I have other things in the works, so hopefully something good will come of it.
    I'm on day 20 from the full request. *fingers crossed*

Out Now SAINT SLOAN

Gotta, Undercover. Gee, that was very quick.

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatmomagain View Post
    I'm on day 20 from the full request. *fingers crossed*
    Good luck, Kelly. Hope it works out.

And yeah, it was quick. Honestly I'm surprised they even requested it in the first place. They do say they consider edgier works. Mine was on the edgy side. More so than not. But they never mentioned exactly why they declined it. They just said that they didn't think the work was right for Watershed.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Anybody else sub to Pelican Book Group lately? If so, how long did it take to hear from them once you subbed on their website, and if you sent a full, how long did it take for a yay, nay, or R&R request from them?

That door could be a time portal... Deb Kinnard's Avatar
    Pelican Book Group (hope this is the right thread) is now accepting romance subs. Copied from the e-mail:

They are not interested in publishing a book that has been previously self published. They stress this point on their website more than once, as they evidently have to deal with this issue a lot. So please do not submit a previously published book to them.

Their website is aimed at readers, not writers, which is always a good sign. Although I did find their website a little hard to navigate.

Many authors have published multiple books with them, which is also a good sign. Their covers vary wildly in quality, some are excellent and others are very amateurish.

They respond through email exclusively, so make sure your spam filter does not block them. Also their response times have been generally reported as being rather quick, and almost always under 60 days.

All submissions must be made through their online submission form. They ask that you specify which imprint you are submitting to, so it is worth your time to research all the imprints before hand to ensure that you are querying the right editor. Their submission form is very thorough. You should make sure to spell check and edit all your written responses before submitting the form.

May you C-fic romancers' work find favor!
    Three-part time travel romance. Part One, SEASONS IN THE MIST
    Part Two, SEASONS OF RECKONING, now available
    Part Three, SEASONS OF HOPE, coming soon, all from Desert Breeze

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis