The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: NovelRank

NovelRank

Unless I'm missing something, this site lets you track sales of any book on Amazon for a year.

Damned handy.
    "Crazy visions you got. Come with me to barber, we bleed you, you see right, everything good. I buy for you first leech."
    - The Wrong Sword

And Read The Blog!

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Handy, yes - but not guaranteed to be accurate.

It's a good resource but don't use it over your own KDP info screen.

practical experience, FTW K. Victoria Chase's Avatar
    I found novel rank to be accurate IF you have, say, under 20 sales per a specific period. Selling more than two copies a day, then it doesn't catch everything.
    K. Victoria Chase
    Author of Interracial Romance
    Amazon Amazon UK B&N Sony

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I have noticed it giving false positives for slow selling books.
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Just another face in a red jumpsuit shelleyo's Avatar
    I've found it woefully inaccurate for fast-selling titles, too. It'll show the accurate rank at a moment in time, but the sales numbers have never been close on any of my books, regardless of how well they do or do not sell.
    "Now, come on, as you guys get older you'll realize people don't mean to be obnoxious, it's just that they're all screwed up inside." -- Joel, MST3K, Gamera

Banned
    The numbers are close to accurate for my slower-selling titles. But, yeah, it really underestimates on anything selling well.

Still, it's convenient to have Amazon links to all my books with most of the different Amazon sites (.uk, .jp, etc.) all in one place. I check it daily. (And then don't really DO anything with the information, but... I check!)

ETA: I also use it to check on other authors - not necessarily in a competitive way, but if someone's offering lots of advice/proclamations on publishing or book promotion, I'll type their name into Novel Rank and get a rough estimate of where their sales are. Higher than mine? I should consider the advice. Lower than mine? I'll still consider it, but only on its own merit, not as something from 'an authority'.
    Last edited by Captcha; 08-28-2014 at 03:39 AM.

It regularly undercounts my two-dozen or so monthly sales, but it's fairly good at tracking really low sales.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shelleyo View Post
    I've found it woefully inaccurate for fast-selling titles, too. It'll show the accurate rank at a moment in time, but the sales numbers have never been close on any of my books, regardless of how well they do or do not sell.
    I've had the same experience as Shelleyo. I'm clueless about the rankings though, so they might be right at any given moment. But as for the actual sales numbers? My experience is that as soon as my titles get those little asterisks forget about accuracy of any kind! For my slow selling title it also undercounts, so far.
    HTH