The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: JABberwocky Literary Agency (Joshua Bilmes)

JABberwocky Literary Agency (Joshua Bilmes)

http://www.awfulagent.com/

Nice web address. O.o

Are these guys legit?

More than legit. Joshua Bilmes is a major SF/F agent. They passed on a partial of mine, but wrote a personal note with specific criticism - not usual for any agency - and responded in timely fashion.

figuring it all out The Scribbler's Avatar
    This is a very respected agency. They did pass on my project, but I wont hold that against them. Mr. Bilmes is totally legit.

Gone
    in 2005, JAB represented 20 SFWA members, including Elizabeth Moon, Charlaine Harris, Simon R. Green, and Marjorie Kellogg. I think you can safely assume "legit." *g*
    Last edited by Aconite; 01-09-2006 at 11:38 PM.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    And Steve Mancino, another agent at JABberwocky, is FABULOUS.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Completely legit and highly regarded.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonjax
    And Steve Mancino, another agent at JABberwocky, is FABULOUS.
    If he was fabulous he would have taken my novel!!

But otherwise what James said. Highly regarded and very desirable as your agents.

Quote Originally Posted by waylander
    If he was fabulous he would have taken my novel!!
    Heh, I hear you.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

Excellent. His place on my "top ten list" is assured, then. I insist on being rejected by at least ten fabulous agents before settling.

Chalice the Hatchet Knight Karen Duvall's Avatar
    Steve is leaving Jabberwocky as of tomorrow, May 22. I was following up on a requested partial I'd sent about 4 months ago, and he just emailed me today to let me know it would either be inherited by his replacement (didn't give a name) or read by Joshua (who had given him my query in the first place, so I don't hold out much hope). I asked Steve if he was leaving for another agency and he said no, he's leaving publishing altogether. Sad news.
    Karen Duvall
    Blog
    Website
    Twitter
    Facebook

KNIGHT'S CURSE -- A Publisher's Weekly Top 10 Pick for Fall 2011 (Harlequin Luna)
    DARKEST KNIGHT -- Sequel to KNIGHT'S CURSE released March 2012 (Harlequin Luna)
    SUN STORM -- Novella in Harlequin's TIL THE WORLD ENDS Anthology

Got the hang of it, here Absolute Sage jchines's Avatar
    Joshua/JABberwocky is my agent, and they've done very well for me. They're especially good at foreign sales. They're currently closed to queries, presumably due to Steve leaving. (Steve was originally my agent, but Joshua will be keeping me on )
    "A good library is both church and armory..."
    -from LIBRIOMANCER

At the publishing party, whacking the piņata
    Just got a request for a partial from Eddie Schneider at JABberwocky--associate agent, his title says. Weird thing--he asked to see 50 pages and "a good outline of the rest." Urp. I, uh, have a good synopsis, but I know an outline is a bit of a different beast...and I don't have one. Halp?
    ~Bryn

Quote Originally Posted by Redzilla View Post
    Just got a request for a partial from Eddie Schneider at JABberwocky--associate agent, his title says. Weird thing--he asked to see 50 pages and "a good outline of the rest." Urp. I, uh, have a good synopsis, but I know an outline is a bit of a different beast...and I don't have one. Halp?
    If you've got a synopsis, you're all set. Usually, the only reason an agent wants to see a synopsis is to ensure that the author has written a complete story. Send the 50 pages and the synopsis. And good luck!

Question Eddie Schneider

Quote Originally Posted by Redzilla View Post

Any update?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin nyc_girl's Avatar
    I'm strongly considering querying this agency, but it doesn't say on the website whether I should query one or the other agent specifically (I know usually you're supposed to), and I'm having trouble deciding which one to query. Any thoughts?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_girl View Post
    I'm strongly considering querying this agency, but it doesn't say on the website whether I should query one or the other agent specifically (I know usually you're supposed to), and I'm having trouble deciding which one to query. Any thoughts?
    I would just go ahead and send it to either. They probably ask each others advice anyway if they're interested.

NYC girl: There's info on their website now about what each agent wants. You ought to check that out. Good luck.
    My blog: Pink Ink

Got the hang of it, here Absolute Sage jchines's Avatar
    Do check the site. But Eddie and Joshua do talk to one another, so if one feels the book is wonderful but a better match for the other agent, I suspect you'll be just fine. (I originally queried Joshua, but ended up working with Steve, who was Eddie's predecessor.)
    "A good library is both church and armory..."
    -from LIBRIOMANCER

Spassvogel
    Dang, I wondered what happened to Steve. I was also asked for some pages + outline by him, and then never heard back, despite my SASE.

Wonder if I should re-submit.

Entertainment Ronin
    No reason not to, right? What're they going to do--turn you down?

practical experience, FTW
    Has anyone queried them recently and can share their turnaround time? Thanks.

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJPie View Post
    Has anyone queried them recently and can share their turnaround time? Thanks.
    They're fairly quick. I queried Joshua on 10/1 and received reject 10/10. Then I queried Eddie 1/5 (different book), received request for partial 1/17 via snail mail, then reject 2/6.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

I got an 8-day rejection from Eddie on a snail query. Pretty quick.
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

Yes, I'm totally into that.. privatepook's Avatar
    Eddie Schneider has had my partial for over two months. That seems like a long time for him, especially considering he responded to my last partial in less than a month.

Anyone know if it's okay to send a status query via email even if the partial was sent via snail mail?

Quote Originally Posted by privatepook View Post
    Eddie Schneider has had my partial for over two months. That seems like a long time for him, especially considering he responded to my last partial in less than a month.

Anyone know if it's okay to send a status query via email even if the partial was sent via snail mail?
    Are you sure that it was received? If you have delivery confirmation, I would say yes, you could send a status check on a partial at 8 weeks via email (even if all communication has been via snail mail). Good luck!

"The point is not to take the world's opinion as a guiding star,
    but to go one's way in life and to work unfalteringly
    neither depressed by failure nor seduced by applause."
    -Gustav Mahler

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast