iPhone battery dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I bought the iPhone 4s last October and I am oh-so attached to it now. It's my one-stop shop as far as calendar/camera/email and oh yeah, making phone calls.

It has worked so well that I'm amazed that it started having battery problems a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it's something I'm doing, or is the battery just getting old (at such a young age?) ?

Today, it lasted about 12 hours before shutting off completely. It happened while I was at work and didn't notice it right away. I'd been annoyed at dinner that the battery was down to 20% and then maybe 4 hours later it just crashed. When I got home about 2 hours later I plugged it into my Mac and it took a while, but then came back on. Now, maybe 45 minutes later, it's charged up to 30%.

I haven't changed my charging pattern (plug in at the wall every night when I go to bed, unplug in the morning).

I have added a few apps, but not a lot. I wonder if maybe a recent addition is causing the problem? Let me think, what was the last app I downloaded? Maybe the QRReader.

On iTunes, it says my phone is updated (v 5.1.1). Also says I can reset to defaults if I'm having problems, but I don't want to do that unless I have to. I have the 13.60 gb model and I have 7gb space open.

I made an appointment with Genius bar but not until Saturday. I can get to a Verizon (my wireless provider) store sooner than that, but not sure if they can help me.

Do I need a new battery? I think it's still under warranty, less than a year old. But that seems awfully soon to be replacing a battery.

Is it something I'm doing, that's causing the battery to suddenly be depleting so quickly? I try to click the 'off' button on top when I'm done with it.

Is there a way to change the settings so the apps don't automatically become active (lined up along the bottom of screen when pressing 'home' twice) - I seldom go through and turn off the ones I'm not currently using. Should I do that all the time?

I am very, very fond of my iPhone and am disappointed in it's failure. I hope I can get it back to normal.

Any ideas? Thanks so much. I hate to admit it, but I feel somewhat lost without my phone. :e2cry:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I'm not a techie, but when my husband bought his iPhone last year, he noticed the battery drained very quickly as well. Turned out, he was closing the apps, but not shutting them down entirely, so they kept running in the background. That's what caused the battery to run down so fast. Maybe this is your problem?

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I have the iPhone 4--not the 4S but when I noticed the same thing, I Googled the problem and discovered that some web sites that I had looked at were running in the background. When I made sure I closed them entirely, the problem stopped. Thanks to Jersey Chick for the App info. I didn't know they could be running in the background as well, but it makes sense.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Are they actually running in the background? I thought iOS just kind of saved the state of the app so it could switch back seamlessly - didn't actually multitask...

Just googled over to Lifehacker. Hmm - http://lifehacker.com/5806346/exten...fe-by-quitting-apps-in-the-multitasking-queue - OK, maybe time for a scientific test...

Before I read that I'd have said the things to do are to turn off Bluetooth and restrict the frequency with which the phone checks stuff like mail etc.

Oh - and as Medi says, location services.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I work in a building where I get limited or no signal and because of it my battery drains really fast since it keeps searching for a signal. By noon I'm often down to 40%. When I'm not at work my phone would still be at 100% (unless I'm doing a lot of web stuff).

How are your notifications? I turned nearly all mine off. Those are a big drain.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What were you doing with it? 12 hours is quite respectable for a smartphone if you were actually using it.

Also note that it'll charge slower when plugged into your computer than if you plug it into the wall.

Are they actually running in the background? I thought iOS just kind of saved the state of the app so it could switch back seamlessly - didn't actually multitask...

Just googled over to Lifehacker. Hmm - http://lifehacker.com/5806346/exten...fe-by-quitting-apps-in-the-multitasking-queue - OK, maybe time for a scientific test...

Before I read that I'd have said the things to do are to turn off Bluetooth and restrict the frequency with which the phone checks stuff like mail etc.

Oh - and as Medi says, location services.

That is correct. For well-behaved apps, you shouldn't need to do anything to "quit" them because they're not actually running. The multitasking tray is more of a "recently used apps" tray. There are a very limited number of tasks apps can continue to do in the background, such play music or track location.

There are a few apps that aren't so well behaved and are known to be battery suckers. Skype is one of these. Check if you any location stuff turned on that you don't need.

Unless you have one of these few culprits that don't play nice, you shouldn't need to worry about manually "quitting" any apps.

I work in a building where I get limited or no signal and because of it my battery drains really fast since it keeps searching for a signal. By noon I'm often down to 40%. When I'm not at work my phone would still be at 100% (unless I'm doing a lot of web stuff).

Yep. If you are in a location with bad signal, that'll drain the battery real fast even if you're not doing anything at all unless you turn off the cell radio. It'll have to try a lot harder to search for and keep the signal, so if you're in an area with little to no signal, turn on airplane mode.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
What were you doing with it? 12 hours is quite respectable for a smartphone if you were actually using it.

It was mostly just in my pocket as I walked around at work, inside bldg. signal is good there except for inside cafeteria. I do check texts and emails (on the sly) at various times but not much activity on it.

I think something's wrong with phone cuz its only last couple weeks that battery's been draining, and I haven't changed my MO. I,m at Verizon store now typing on their iPad -cool! Will see if they can help.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, they weren't much help. You guys here were much better. The Verizon store is 2 miles away, while the Apple store is about 20, so I was hoping ...

I've turned off most notifications, left on phone, message, reminder. Turned off most location services, left on maps and siri only.

I'll see what Apple says on Saturday. When's the iPhone 5 supposed to come out? I thought I saw some chat on it somewhere but no official announcement.

Deleted member 42

Have you done a complete shut-down-and-reboot? That is, hold the button at the top down until you see the "slide to shutdown" message, and then slid the button to power it down, waited two minutes, and then rebooted it? (This is not a reset, which would reset all your local data on the iPhone).

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Have you done a complete shut-down-and-reboot? That is, hold the button at the top down until you see the "slide to shutdown" message, and then slid the button to power it down, waited two minutes, and then rebooted it? (This is not a reset, which would reset all your local data on the iPhone).

I haven't, and it's just because I'm holding off on doing anything else until I see the Apple guys on Saturday. I don't want to answer a lot of questions from them on "what did you try?" because I either won't remember or won't be able to explain what I did.

Yesterday and today I'm off work and can keep my phone plugged in more at home.

Tuesday the battery seemed better, but on Wednesday it drained quickly again, under the same conditions. :Shrug:

At least the phone is still under warranty, so anything that needs to be done should be covered, I think.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Best of luck. I imagine it's something like an app in the background. Some of them are a serious drain.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, when you want the phone to charge faster, it seems like getting a wall adapter makes it charge much quicker than simply plugging it into the computer.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Best of luck. I imagine it's something like an app in the background. Some of them are a serious drain.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, when you want the phone to charge faster, it seems like getting a wall adapter makes it charge much quicker than simply plugging it into the computer.

Most motherboards don't deliver enough charge via USB to charge as fast as the wall adapter. I happen to have an ASUS mb with a feature called ASUS AI Charger, which detects your smartphone and funnels enough current to it to charge it quickly. It is kind of nifty.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I charge my phone at the wall every night when I go to bed. It's my alarm clock.

And my 3 am "oh did i make a note about that?" or 4:30 am "what is it i'm supposed to be doing today?" check before i go back to sleep. :e2bouncey

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website

I was told by the Apple rep you should do that at least once a week. (I have to do it more often because as I said earlier, the building I'm in plays havoc with it and it won't recognize that I LEFT the building until I reboot.)

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
So I went to the genius bar appt. The guy said right off he thought he knew what the problem was and would run diagnostics.

A minute later he said yep, that was the problem, and a similar thing had happened to his 4s phone too after about 7 months.

Problem (paraphrasing here, I wrote it down but won't guarantee this is accurate): A software issue - crashing - code not loading - for these things: mobile safari, data accessD, BT server, and mobile cal.

He said he'd have to do a reset on the phone and that I'd need to back up stuff before then. Fortunately, I'd brought my laptop so he backed up photos, apps, music etc then did the reset.

He'd said I'd lose 4 areas of the phone during this: phone favorites, recent calls, voicemails, and texts. Those couldn't be backed up and would be removed. I said ok.

He said that should solve the draining battery issue. Yay!

Not so yay: Got home and found the Notes had also been wiped out completely, as well as some recurring calendar events. Hmm. Calendar I can recreate but the Notes, well, I don't like that those were erased. A lot of stuff in there for reference and quotes I like and a page with important dates ... Rats.

So I'll watch the battery over the next few days to see if it's lasting longer. I have another appt at Apple Store next Friday for something else so can take the phone back in then if needed.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug: Well, a few hours later and battery still draining. Plus now the phone seems very warm, something I'd never noticed before. Might have to make another trip to the genius bar, but it'll be several days before I can get back down there.

I never realized how dependent I am on my phone until it started having problems. I'm an addict ... :flag:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow. That sucks. And mine only overheats if I'm charging and still doing heavy data usage. Hope they can get it corrected.
...so if you're in an area with little to no signal, turn on airplane mode.
Yeah, I've thought about that, but then I'd be completely disconnected from the outside world. I can still get texts even though nothing else gets through.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Late to the party but hubby and I got a Mophie phone case that is an external battery that you can use to charge the iphone when the battery gets low. THey also have key chains and stuff if you don't want a case.

Also this may have been covered but aps keep running after you stop using them. double click the button and the open aps will appear at the bottom of the screen. hold your finger on them until a red minus sign appears on them and click the minus sign appears click on it and it will close the ap.

Status
Not open for further replies.