Writing JUST an alternate world for a fantasy setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeine

Registered
Reaction score
So here’s a problem that has been plaguing me for the last few months that I’m hoping for some advice on what to do with:

So I want to write a fantasy story. I want to create a world, based on the late 18th and 19th century – like the Napoleonic Era or the British Victorian Era. Now, I don’t want to write these exact periods, as I’m not too keen on having to write straight-up historical fiction or an alternate history.

I want to create my own little version of these eras to set my story in. I want to define the geography the way I want it, I want to create the various countries and nations the way I want them, I want to define their cultures and their politics and their relations with each other, and I want to set them against one another in a brutal, high-stakes game of realpolitik, with kingdoms and empires vying for supremacy by way of mass armies and black powder. And then, I want to tell a story about the people caught in the middle of all of it and are trying to make their lives in the middle of the storm that is throwing them about.
So, here’s the problem I’m running into.

I want to make just this world. I don’t want any of the ’other’ fantasy elements in this setting, other than it taking place in a different world. I don’t want any magic or mages, or elves or magical beings – I want to write about people caught in a realistic, but complex world where the rulers and leaders basically play chess with their lives on a continent-sized game boards.

When I discussed this with a friend, he raised an issue with my setting being very dry. Aside from a few story-specific ideas, such as an all-girl rifle unit for instance (another problem I may need to discuss at a later time), the entire thing feels little more than a thinly-veiled parallel of 18-19th century conflicts and politics. Now, I’m certainly not going to just transplant Napoleon, the Duke of Wellington, and the same countries and leaders and change the names, but he raised a valid issue – overall, my setting seems to have nothing special or nothing truly fantastical about it. I could just be writing historical fiction for all the reader knows, but I’m not and it isn’t one, and the setting feels weak because of it.

This also goes back to a rule of sorts my friend and me have read about and agree very strongly on by Lawrence Watt-Evans, that if a story can be written without a fantasy element, then it should be written without one. The setting should matter for the story and especially with fantasy, should involve something ‘fantastic’ that changes that world from ours that could be explored in the story. My idea for a setting especially fails at this.

But then I go and read about Guy Gavriel Kay’s works, such as The Lion of Al-Rassan and how the setting doesn’t have magic and that his stories are drawn very closely on real history – and it all works out extremely well. Or George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire, which aside from the implied presence of magic and really strange seasons, mirrors that of the English War of the Roses.

So, where does this leave my idea for my 18-19th century setting? My writing is certainly not as good as Kay or Martin’s, but considering those two examples and the possibility for involving certain themes and doing very careful research and world-building, an optimistic part of me wants to think it could actually work. It would require an ungodly amount of additional work – perhaps more than anything I’m currently anticipating for the near future – but I’m running through some scenarios for stories in the setting and I could see some of them working, but I haven’t convinced myself enough yet.

So, what does everybody think of this? Should I be concerned with my setting? Are these concerns warranted? Is my setting as dry as I’m afraid it is?

Any ideas on where I could or should be going with this? This idea is the one that keeps coming back to me no matter how many parts I'm unconvinced on, and while part of me wants to bury it and move on, another part of me wants to patch it up and get it going.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it. Fantasy doesn't have to have all kinds of magic and interesting fantasy stuff. Some fantasy readers might not want to read it, but if it's the story you want to write, write it. Personally, I would be a little disappointed by a fantasy novel with only an alternate history. I like some magic and wonder in my fantasy. But readers are a diverse bunch. Someone out there will probably want to read it.

Pinkclaw

Registered
Reaction score
Just sit down and make the world building. Before you start all you will have is assumptions, I wouldn't worry much about genre either. Do your world and plot the story, see if feel like something is missing. This kind of world building take a lot of work but keep in mind to focus only in the information necessary for the story, this will be divided in the info that go in the book and the info you need to know to make the story work.

So now, world building. How much of 18-19th century you want to have? You could use this elements but your story could be on the future and so on. And the fun part is that when you start this process more things will come to mind and your result will be quite different from the one you started in mind.

But is imposible to know if is dry or if you have a problem yet. You need a story and test it.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Remember that an alternate world is work for the reader to take in. A world like a character needs to be understood by the reader. Just as each major character has to have elements that will interest the reader, so must the world.

That doesn't mean there have to be fantasy elements, just interesting elements. If the history,geography, customs, etc have nothing to them then this would be the world-building equivalent of calling a rabbit a smerp.

So consider the world you are making and see if it has elements that would intrigue the reader, if so emphasize those. If not, consider whether it's really necessary for the story.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
This is an issue I've often struggled with. I've had several story ideas involving alternate worlds with no real fantasy elements. I'm sure there's a thread about it around here somewhere.

I'm a little bit confused by Richard's comment about reader interest. If alternate history or even mainstream contemp fiction can create interest, I'm not sure why having a secondary world setting would be an issue. After all, it's the plot and characters that generate the mahority of interest in a story. Perhaps a non-magical secondary world simply doesn't have the sensawunda he prefers to have in his fantasy?

As far as whether you can do this or not, there's a book in the Baen Free Library by the name of Harald which does essentially what you propose, but with the Roman Empire vs. basically the Germanic/British tribes as opposed to the 18th-19th centuries.

Pinkclaw

Registered
Reaction score
keep in mind to focus only in the information necessary for the story, this will be divided in the info that go in the book and the info you need to know to make the story work.

Remember that an alternate world is work for the reader to take in. A world like a character needs to be understood by the reader. Just as each major character has to have elements that will interest the reader, so must the world.
I believe me and Richard are talking about the same thing. And he also is talking about info dump, this make a book very boring. No matter how much time you spend creating your world or how many details you place on it, you can't give all to the reader. And should only give them what is necessary for the story.

For a better idea, you can read here: http://theprosers.blogspot.com.br/2012/06/expanding-world-of-your-novel.html

It's the same text I placed below but she explain more in there.

The Harry Potter series:

In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the very first scene in the book sets up the magical world we've all come to know and love. A cat sits on the corner reading--no, looking at--a street sign. People in capes wander the streets and owls are flying everywhere. Slowly the world expands--Hagrid comes and tells Harry about a school. They go to Diagon Alley. Harry figures out how to board the Hogwart's Express and spends the rest of the year at school.

In book 2, we learn about house elves and meet the families of some of Harry's classmates, especially the Weasleys. We see the Burrow for the first time, and learn how life is different in a magical family. We get our first glimpse of the dark world of Knockturn Alley. In book 3, we learn about Azkaban and especially about Harry's parents and their friends. The world expands to include werewolves and dementors. By book 4, we know so much about the magical world that it doesn't seem like there is much left to know, but Rowling is just getting started. Harry gets to go to the Quidditch World Cup, where we learn that there is an entire world left to explore. We get to know schools in other parts of the world, and we learn a lot more about the Ministry of Magic, both good and bad.

In book 5, we actually get to see the Ministry of Magic and also spend time at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. In book 6, we delve more deeply into the rich history of Harry's world, and in book 7, we don't even make it to Hogwarts until nearly the end of the book.

When I want to reread a Harry Potter book, I'm not very tempted by book 1. It's not as rich a world as the others. But can you imagine if she'd tried to stuff all of the characters, their histories and the whole magical world into book 1? It would have been too much.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
It's not that the advice is necessarily bad, but I don't think it really bears on the question being asked.

The issue was whether just a secondary world setting was enough to create an enjoyable fantasy novel.

I think it is. It's been done before, it can be done again.

As far as Richard's smeerp comment, the way I read it is that if the only real change is geography, then why not just set it on Earth.

Caffeine-

If you're going to create a secondary world for this story, it needs to actually be a secondary world. You can still do that even if it closely parallels Napoleanic Europe. For example, as GRRM and GGK closely parallel real world places and even events. If you don't have magical elements, there's only so much you can diverge from the general interactions of human beings. As long as your plot and characters are engaging, the setting doesn't have to be spectacular, but there should be at least enough difference to make it seem like it's own world, and not a geographically mutilated Earth.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like an alternate geography rather than an alternate history.

It won't be dry if you set an exciting story in it.

Otoh, if I'm reading along and run into an "all girl rifle unit", your book won't be dry if it's raining when I throw it out of the window.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I'm a little bit confused by Richard's comment about reader interest. If alternate history or even mainstream contemp fiction can create interest, I'm not sure why having a secondary world setting would be an issue. After all, it's the plot and characters that generate the mahority of interest in a story. Perhaps a non-magical secondary world simply doesn't have the sensawunda he prefers to have in his fantasy?

Sorry, if I wasn't clear. There has to be something about the difference or the different world that is interesting in and of itself. Alternate history has an inherent question to it:
What would things be like if event X had a different outcome?

This question has a context to it: the actual history of the people involved. Many alt history fans are history buffs. They love thinking about these questions. So posing such a question to them and presenting an outcome is something they are predisposed to be interested in.

If a writer is making an alternate world that doesn't have that inherent interest the writer must supply something else about the world that is interesting.

This is certainly possible, but it is a part of the job of doing this kind of writing and should not be neglected.

fdesrochers

Registered
Reaction score
The setting is only as dry as you let it become. How's that for a non-answer? Really though, fantasy settings do not necessarily equate to Elves, Dragons, magic and wild sword-bearing quest mongers. Basing the tech level on something akin to 18th century Europe would not be too hard a thing to do. Generic terminology for most things, throw in a few setting-specific terms that are close enough to something the reader will equate to would go a long way.

The Chris Evans series 'Iron Elves' does a remarkable job juxtaposing an Elf in charge of a unit of musket bearing soldiers fighting against a super-evil-sorcerous-figure. That said, it is the characters and the way he introduced political and thematic elements into the story that keeps me reading. A lot of dry wit thrown in for good measure helps too, but the regiment acts like a line rifle regiment from about the time period you are looking to emulate.

Personally, the fantasy setting I'm working on is based largely on elements from Japanese, Chinese and Korean cultural influences from over a 1000 year time period; throw in some medieval European and Indian sub-continental flavour for the different cultures (which include your staple Elves et al) and you can see how (sometimes idiotic) complex it can become.

World building can quickly start overtaking the actual writing, so be wary about that particular rabbit hole. That said, try to answer second and third order effects of what you try to create and plot out:

E.g. All-woman Rifle Regiment:

1st order effects (plot/character effects): How likely? Why necessary? Plot requirement or gimmick? How does the MC interact/think of this?
2nd order effects (direct influences to plot and interaction): How does this unit interact with other male/mixed units? What effect does this have on overall morale in garrison? In combat? The answer to this one is stark and well documented, so make sure you don't deviate or you simply lose touch with reality and likely your readers (short answer - very, very badly).
3rd order effects (macro-level issues that influence 1st and 2nd order): What cultural effect led to this unit forming? Is society matriarchal? Some fringe cultural society? Is the king just looking for a scantilly clad honour guard that doubles as his personal harem (please let it not be this)? Et cetera

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Sorry, if I wasn't clear. There has to be something about the difference or the different world that is interesting in and of itself. Alternate history has an inherent question to it:
What would things be like if event X had a different outcome?

This question has a context to it: the actual history of the people involved. Many alt history fans are history buffs. They love thinking about these questions. So posing such a question to them and presenting an outcome is something they are predisposed to be interested in.

If a writer is making an alternate world that doesn't have that inherent interest the writer must supply something else about the world that is interesting.

This is certainly possible, but it is a part of the job of doing this kind of writing and should not be neglected.

Ah, that makes sense.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
In have read several books--names fail me at the moment--that do what you are describing. I've actually toyed with a similar idea a few times, but haven't used it yet. Fantasy doesn't need to be the typical magic system/monsters to be fantasy. The genre is certainly big enough to account for worlds without magic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.