Cover letter for magazine manuscript???

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I have read tons of material on cover letters for book manuscripts . . . But what about magazine manuscripts? Do we need to spend as much time agonizing over these cover letters? I have a completed manuscript which is perfectly targeted to a specific publication. This publication states in their guidelines that they prefer a completed manuscript to a query. How much "sell" should I put into the cover letter? They will have the manuscript in their hands. I don't need to sell them on reading it. It seems to me the manuscript should sell itself. Should I mention other things I've published? My educational background? I could use some guidance here. Thanks.

NDoyle

Writer, Editor, Photographer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
Your cover letter should give what your story is about, why it's perfect for their publication, your credentials for writing it, and any publication credits that you have.

Sending a manuscript does not guarantee that an editor will read it. This is just as true for short pieces as it is for book-length ones.

Good luck!

(Edited to add: this assume you're talking about nonfiction.)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find covers way easier than queries, FWIW. You can write yours up and get feedback at Query Letter Hell SYW. (Remove the personal information, of course.) The good people there are adept at tweaking such things into excellent shape.

Maryn, who doesn't stress over covers, just queries

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They will have the manuscript in their hands. I don't need to sell them on reading it. It seems to me the manuscript should sell itself.

Actually, you do need to sell them on reading it. Just because they have it in hand doesn't mean they will read it.
Offer enough in the cover letter to make them want to read further. I would suggest no more than one page.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I follow the same guidelines for my book manuscript letters. First paragraph - why I've selected them. Second - why they should select the piece (proposal). Third - why they should select me (brief bio). Forth - thanks and enclosures.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, and a final question.

These are all fantastic comments, and I want to thank you all very much. I have one last question. This target publication I'm talking about only mentions the idea of sending clips in relation to sending in a query. Their first choice is a completed manuscript and they say nothing about clips in this regard. They do say if you're sending in a query (their second choice) they do want clips. I'm guessing they need a clip or two when they only have a query because they want to look at your writing. When they already have a manuscript, I'm guessing they don't need clips so much because they already have a sample of your writing . . . the manuscript. Is my thinking correct here? Thanks.