Hack magic system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiarnan_Ceinders

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just became a bit discouraged and wanted to throw this out on the forums.

I'm hard at work on worldbuilding for my first novel, and had decided on a magic system that I thought would be unique and interesting.

And then I read Patricia Wrede's World Building Questionnaire...

"What is the price magicians must pay in order to be magicians — years of study, permanent celibacy, using up bits of their life or memory with each spell, etc.? Does anyone ever try to get around the price of magic?"

Damn you, ms. Wrede! I was thinking of using a memory-based magic system, where magic users would use up pieces of their memory to perform magic. I had a whole thing about how wizards go to at times pretty extreme lengths to create new memories, and it would've been central to one of the characters, as he'd give up a piece of his memory that's very dear to him.

So I ask here -- should I stick to what I've got and do the best I can with it, or should I get out early? I only have loose pieces of the story formed in my head yet, so nothing is set in stone. And maybe I'd be better off brainstorming for a day or two so I don't go for the first idea that pops into my head (which this did). What do you guys think?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Patricia Wrede? Who she? OK I just googled her and she is published, but so? That is her view of the magic world and it may not, and probably isn't every ones. Some magicians are natural magicians - what they have is beyond study and so natural laws probably do not apply to them. I'd do your thing, brainstorm, bounce ideas about and see what happens - you may be lucky and have some magic to help you. Good fortune!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I hate to tell you this, but I believe that was/is also part of the magic system in DRAGONLANCE. (Although I haven't heard of the "extreme lengths to create new memories" thing.)

Point is, there's very little new under the sun, so don't worry about it. It's fine, honest. Just write your book. People aren't going to be unhappy because they've read a similar magic system elsewhere. It's how you handle it that matters.

astrodragon

New Dragon; thinking about coffee
Registered
Reaction score
If you want your mages to have to pay a reasonable price for magic, just look at what you have to do to become an engineer or doctor in real life.
Not an exact simile, but I look on it as giving an approximation of the time/effort/commitment necessary.

After all, as an engineer there is little a fantasy mage can do I cant (with the right bits of kit!), and quite a few things I can do he probably can't...:)

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it has been done before -- hell, I think one of the Infocom text adventure games used that magic system. But many things with magic systems have been done before. It depends on the execution. If you've got a good story with interesting characters, readers aren't going to complain that they've seen variants of the magic system elsewhere.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that questionnaire of which you speak and I like it. She brings up good points to consider. And as everyone has said, nothing is truly original anymore at it's core. So you have to twist and tweak it a bit to make it work for you. So don't give up just because something similar has been done before.

I hate to tell you this, but I believe that was/is also part of the magic system in DRAGONLANCE. (Although I haven't heard of the "extreme lengths to create new memories" thing.)

Point is, there's very little new under the sun, so don't worry about it. It's fine, honest. Just write your book. People aren't going to be unhappy because they've read a similar magic system elsewhere. It's how you handle it that matters.

Actually, as far as Dragonlance goes, mages don't loose memories, they just forget the spell. So they have to constantly study the spells to recommit them to memory. They don't forget life events or anything like that.

Pinkclaw

Registered
Reaction score
Focus in the execution. Everyone have their own idea of how a magical system should be created and work, but the most important thing is it to be realistic to the world you created. And not others people expectations. Write your story and if is good, people won't care about this.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Actually, as far as Dragonlance goes, mages don't loose memories, they just forget the spell. So they have to constantly study the spells to recommit them to memory. They don't forget life events or anything like that.

Thanks! I knew it was something like that. :) I haven't read those in years (poor Sturm!).

Tiarnan_Ceinders

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, guys!

At least the questionnaire did what it was supposed to. It got me asking questions. It gave me real pause when I realized that the magic-using character doesn't have a good fit in this story. The way magic is used doesn't feel coherent with what I picture happening in this book.

I might be trying to write two separate stories at once here, and could benefit from splitting them apart and see if I can come up with a new magic-system for this one, and save the magic-user and his system for another project.

And Stacia - Did you ever finish the Dragonlance books? I remember when I bought my first book in that series when I was around fifteen. Magical. Raistlin would probably be my favourite character. And Tasslehoff. =)

Also checked your website. Will have to see if any swedish bookstores carry your books, because you've got me interested. =)

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
And before all of it was in Neverending Story 2. So don't worry. Most every idea has been done in some fashion or another--I'll even admit that about my own WIP. Just put your own flavor on it and I'm sure it'll be great!

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
And before all of it was in Neverending Story 2. So don't worry. Most every idea has been done in some fashion or another--I'll even admit that about my own WIP. Just put your own flavor on it and I'm sure it'll be great!

Ah, yes, I forgot about Neverending Story. But that was only because he was using the amulet wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.