Status
Not open for further replies.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I've always thought book trailers were a silly idea. But if you want to do one, this would be the way to do it:

Nick Santora is a novelist and tv writer. He created a show I really like, Breakout Kings.

To promote his novel Fifteen Digits, he filmed a scene from the book as a seven-minute short: Fifteen Digits.

Of course, most of us don't have access to professional tv production personnel, equipment, and actors. But if you do -- use it!

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Every single book trailer I've seen so far has absolutely sucked and I'm glad to see someone trying to improve on the art. It's certainly an interesting idea to film a chapter, and it's great that he has the budget to do so.

That aside, though, I think book trailers can be done more effectively without raising the cost. It's all about being creative with what you have. Nick Santora did what he could with what he had, and other authors can do the same even if they have less.

The_Riskbreaker

knows bears make everything worse
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to do a book trailer for mine, either if it was self-pubbed, or if the publisher would allow me to. I love this guys idea. Heck, it reminds me of an amateur project for high school histoy where we filmed a fake battle scene and interview with a soldier. Looking back I realize it was so cheesy. But I liked it.

I watched a trailer for Ted Dekker's "Mortal" a few months back when the book was on pre-order. It was a fly-through of a ruined city, with floating text that describes the plot. It was a little better than just a static bg with text, but still not catchy enough. I guess people like Nick think outside the book.

Anyone else have any killer ideas?

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
oh don't get me started with Book Trailers. How horrible are they?

I want to do one for my launch, BUT only if I come up with an idea that isn't like, well, all those horrible trailers out there :)

If I can't think of anything then I won't do one.

I do like this idea, though. A nice mix of media

Matthew (Turndog Millionaire)

mkeyth

Registered
Reaction score
About three months ago I tried to film one key scene from my book as a trailer. Living in Poland and having limited access to English native speakers completely destroyed my hopes as soon as casting began. But as someone said, if you have opportunity to make such trailer, do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.