JulNoWriMo - The beast is back!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, all, here's a July thread. Most of you probably know the deal by now - make a monthly goal and kick its butt!

In July, I really want to get back into writing. I start back at Uni near the end of this month, but I want to get a lot done before then.

Secondary goal is to just enjoy my new guitar. :)

What's your goals?

(And no, I don't know why I referred to a beast in the thread title...)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
(And no, I don't know why I referred to a beast in the thread title...)

Just for the hell of it? :tongue

July will be outlining and reading and scheduling for me. I have orientation next Sunday and Monday (gah!) and I'll be able to register for classes then. Still not 100% on what I want to take... So many to pick from >.>

I've really wanted to do more writing lately though. We'll see if I actually do anything.

(My "L" key doesn't seem to want to work today... Grr...)

~Amber~

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
My goal for July:

Finish unfinished NaNo:tongue

And possibly edit First book in my sig, depending how long it takes me to finish the NaNo story:)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I might be changing my enrolment as well.

Last week, I got a phone call from the Uni. It was someone wanting to know why I had maxed out on first-year topics (long story). But she then suggested that I could take a couple of second-year topics this year, instead of maxing out on first-year stuff.

So I'm going to call her back today, and make an appointment to go over my options.

The main reason I'm considering it is that some 2nd/3rd year topics are only available ever 2 years, not every year.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
My goals for July are to get through revisions for the short stories that have been sitting impatiently for me to get to them :)

I also want to clean up my Camp NaNo draft and merge some places where I think there's repetition, so I can let the draft sit without having that eat away at my brain :tongue

TribalCat

Tyger's Mama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tribalcatslair.blogspot.com
I'm kind of envious of all of you starting college. If only I'd known back then, what I know now, I would have done things differently (and graduated much faster *LOL*)

I'm spending this month editing and rewriting what I wrote in June, then I'll be plotting like crazy for August's novel (the 2nd half of my June novel), in which my FMC gets to grow up. I'll miss writing her as a young child. It's been so fun.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I plan on finishing my Camp Nano novel, and a 10K short story. :D

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
'grats on the new guitar, Cliff.

All I've done for a while is make print copies of my e-books. Roommate is on week 2 of a 2-week vacation and around the house all the time, so I have no peace at my desk until he goes back to work next Sunday night.

Done a bit of reading instead.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to come out of lurking long enough to state a goal. :)

I plan on reworking my November NaNo into a real WIP, not a collection of smutty scenes since I didn't have much else to write (I had big thorny plot holes that I think I have now fixed). So for July I want to finish planning it and write 20k.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Trust me, you don't want to know. I have an insanely long list of things I want to accomplish and a smaller, more manageable list of things I really need to finish.

• Finish my Camp NaNo novel, Reflected (Mirrorland #2). Current status: 50k/57-60k words.
  • Finish first draft of Ghostslayer. Current status: 35k/75-80k words.
  • Edit first half of Ghostslayer (35k words).
  • Edit first half of The Sleeping Kingdom (40k words).
  • Write outline for Camp NaNo August novel, a YA ghost story.
Now these are things I'd like to finish but that aren't that urgent:

• Write a chapter book (have a plot, need to write).
  • Write a picture book (have a plot, need to write).
  • Write an outline for MG novel The Upside Down Pyramid.
  • Write first draft MG novel. Current status: 0k/35k words.
  • Rewrite Soul Thief (YA PNR). I have a 65k words first draft but it's in need of a rewrite.
Since I have so much I want to do most of it will probably happen over two months. I hope to accomplish the first list in July, maybe the second one in August/September (since I'm also participating in Camp NaNo in August).

Phew, that's quite a list!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So I just made my appointment to talk about a study plan with someone at the Uni. Going there tomorrow for it.

So I think what I want to do today is to wrap my head around some of the options in preparation. Secondary goal is to submit my first novel to a few places.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I have my August cabin already. :tongue it's like there's a July NaNo too (other than here, of course :D)

I have a feeling that I'm going to spend the first week of this month relaxing and/or fretting about orientation this weekend. :tongue I can't tell if I love or hate putting together a possible schedule... Looks like a paper version of Tetris, according to one of my friends.

Oh well... :tongue I'll try to do something. I'm just not sure I will.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My small list of possible publishers is getting shorter...

2 I couldn't find submission guidelines for, 2 only accept hard copies (too expensive to send) and that leaves about 2 or 3 others that I can submit to.

Those 2? 1 is a Friday-only submit, and the other's a Monday-only submit. And of course, because I kept putting it off, it's now Tuesday. *sigh*

TribalCat

Tyger's Mama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I keep telling myself that I should be starting my editing for my June WIP, but I'm really enjoying the spending the time catching up (sort of) on my cozy mystery reading. I went without for 6 weeks, and I'm on the 4th book in 4 days now. My story is still whirling away in my head, trying to tighten up some of the worldbuilding I did. I'm just going to have to set a schedule for the editing, so I can make sure I get it done on time.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
*sigh* I really wonder if I should do Camp NanoWrimo or NanoWrimo. Camp NanoWrimo starts when I'm back at school while NanoWrimo happens right before my Final Exam period(December). I really think I should only do one because of school but I can't decide which one. In any case, no matter which I do, I'll be finishing up my second novella. What do you all think I should do?

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
Just when you thought Nano was over... :D

For the month of July, I would like to finish the novel I was working during Camp Nano. Well, even before Camp Nano. Anyway, yeah, I'd really just like to finish it this month! I have a feeling it's going to end up at 100-120k, so I still have plenty to write.

TLFrench

Registered
Reaction score
My goal for July is to write 1,000 words every day on the project I started in May but put aside to work on June Camp NaNoWriMo.
I also have this new idea that I would like to have outlined by the end of the month too.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* I really wonder if I should do Camp NanoWrimo or NanoWrimo. Camp NanoWrimo starts when I'm back at school while NanoWrimo happens right before my Final Exam period(December). I really think I should only do one because of school but I can't decide which one. In any case, no matter which I do, I'll be finishing up my second novella. What do you all think I should do?

My answer is to do both. It is never a "good" time to write, which means right now is always the best time to write. Very rarely in life will you have scheduled blocks of less "life" to deal with, especially as corresponds to writing events you want to participate in. I understand it is hard. Last November I had a lot of really great reasons not to do NaNo, and I even quit for a week, but I rallied at the end and finished NaNo for the first time.

Not to sound old and preachy, but you will never regret doing too much in life, only too little.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
Don't you know? It's never over. :ROFL:

Ain't that the truth? :tongue

I think I need to concretize my goals a little bit more, since my post above was very vague, but I need to think of what I want to aim for. 1000 each day? 1500? 2000? We shall see... All I know is that I wanna finish the novel.

TribalCat

Tyger's Mama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't know which NaNo would be better for you, but I hope you can do at least one of them. If you already have it planned out, it might be better to do it in August, before you end up with a lot of studying to do. Good luck, either way :)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Ain't that the truth? :tongue

I think I need to concretize my goals a little bit more, since my post above was very vague, but I need to think of what I want to aim for. 1000 each day? 1500? 2000? We shall see... All I know is that I wanna finish the novel.

That would be good. Even if you only do a 1K a day, that's still good.

I don't know which NaNo would be better for you, but I hope you can do at least one of them. If you already have it planned out, it might be better to do it in August, before you end up with a lot of studying to do. Good luck, either way :)

Yeah. That's what I was thinking. I know I'll want to dedicate myself to my studies. (I'll have some tough studies coming in November.) It might good just to try to write something in those months, not necessarily reach 50K. I think I might just try to get something written, which really isn't different from any other month. :ROFL:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I spent about half an hour with the person at Uni, working out a study plan.

For some reason, they didn't have computers there that I could use... So now I have to make sure my *new* choices don't clash at all, and if they don't, I need to withdraw from my current selection.

Then ring the woman back so she can do some stuff to my account. *Then* I can enrol in the new subjects...

It would've been a lot easier if they'd just had a computer I could've jumped on...