• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Custom Book Publications / Custom Literary Agency

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Advertising by spam. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

http://custombookpublications.com/

Publication of your book should be one of life's greatest moments ...
We support and guide you through the publishing process... and beyond.
We do it with professionalism and precision, on budget and on time.

"On budget"? I'll bet my next royalty check against yours that these guys are running a vanity press.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like an old-fashioned vanity press. May be a descendant or a spinoff of Hong Kong's printing industry.

I'm mildly impressed by their copy and their site design, which are both very clean.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

They used to be a straight-forward high quality printer. UCLA used them for glossy booklets sort of like the Pitkin books about British heritage sites.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Sounds like a good printer who signed up with a scummy marketing company who promised to grow their business. I'm sure the marketer's pitch included spam and SEO tricks as valid promotions. A shame, too, because I'm always looking for high-quality printers.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Has dropped the "Literary Agency" aspect, at least. Children's imprint is Kindi Corner.

Kievah

Finally on the write path!
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, a friend mentioned he knew a writer who had received an offer for publication. I was curious about the publisher. Turns out it was Custom Book Publications. My friend mentioned the publisher was based in Hong Kong, possibly charged a few. So I dug a little.

There's not much information. But I found this little gem:

http://www.custombookpublications.com/ebook_faq.htm

Slimy vanity publisher that mostly turns out e-books for fees, offers referrals for cover design, editing services, offering up to 25% royalty for the writer / victim. Custom Book Design passes itself off as legitimate publishing.

I'm inexperienced in publishing (although I've been reading a LOT: Miss Snark, Learning to Write with UJ, exploring a lot of blogs and links) but am I right thinking this screams scam?