How encouraging is a "revise and resubmit" request?

CJacobo

Writer of Words, Words, Words
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calebjacobo.com
So... I've got an agent, and she submitted my ms to six editors. All big publishing houses, so all good submissions. We were granted quick reads and got responses within six weeks from all six editors. Unfortunately, we did not get any offers. We were rejected by one and got five requests for revisions and resubmissions.

As you can imagine, I've been in revision hell ever since. Now my agent is resubmitting to all five editors plus submitting to a few new editors.

My question is this: Am I silly to have hope that one of these R&R requests might turn into a sale? I'm assuming editors don't agree to take a second look unless they are truly interested, right? Why would they waste their time if there wasn't true interest, right?

My paranoid/self-doubting side has wondered if my agent is just very persuasive and got them to say yes, they'd take another look if I revised, and if I'm going to end up at the bottom of a slush pile for months.

Has anyone else been in my position? Did you end up with a sale? Please do share.

Thanks in advance!

If you are getting rejections from publishing houses asking for revisions, you might have some glaring structural issues that just need to be worked out. I'm not sure if your agent is trying to get you in front of a publisher or an editor, but I would suggest trying to get an editor right now. A good editor will give you high level crits that will improve your work's chance of being published. Plus, if you have a good relationship with your editor, and they like your work, they can be your shoe-in for a publishing house.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you are getting rejections from publishing houses asking for revisions, you might have some glaring structural issues that just need to be worked out. I'm not sure if your agent is trying to get you in front of a publisher or an editor, but I would suggest trying to get an editor right now.

If a writer received a revise and resubmit request, which is what we're discussing here, then part of that request will include specific information about what it revise. Why would the author then involve another editor in the process?

It might also be counterproductive. One of the things an editor is looking for when giving an R&R is whether or not the writer can respond appropriately to editorial suggestions. If the writer works with a second editor to make those changes, how will that writer deal with the first editor's suggestions if the book is contracted? Would they have to pay the second editor to help them revise the rest of the book?

A good editor will give you high level crits that will improve your work's chance of being published. Plus, if you have a good relationship with your editor, and they like your work, they can be your shoe-in for a publishing house.

I just don't see how an editor you've paid to help you improve your book could "be your shoe-in for a publishing house", I'm afraid. Could you clarify?

CJacobo

Writer of Words, Words, Words
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calebjacobo.com
If a writer received a revise and resubmit request, which is what we're discussing here, then part of that request will include specific information about what it revise. Why would the author then involve another editor in the process?

It might also be counterproductive. One of the things an editor is looking for when giving an R&R is whether or not the writer can respond appropriately to editorial suggestions. If the writer works with a second editor to make those changes, how will that writer deal with the first editor's suggestions if the book is contracted? Would they have to pay the second editor to help them revise the rest of the book?

I just don't see how an editor you've paid to help you improve your book could "be your shoe-in for a publishing house", I'm afraid. Could you clarify?

It sounded to me like the R&R requests didn't come with specific revisions. My point is that if you are getting R&Rs and not getting the info you need to properly revise the work, you should try to hook up with a good editor. If the R&Rs are coming with notes on what to fix, that's different.

As far as editors helping place writers with getting published, I'm not sure where the confusion is coming in, but many editors include placement with an agent/publisher where appropriate in their services.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It sounded to me like the R&R requests didn't come with specific revisions. My point is that if you are getting R&Rs and not getting the info you need to properly revise the work, you should try to hook up with a good editor. If the R&Rs are coming with notes on what to fix, that's different.

R&Rs usually do come with an indication of what needs to be done before resubmission; otherwise it's a bit mean, isn't it? "I think this shows great potential but there are problems with it which could be resolved by a bit of revision. I'd like you to fix those problems and resubmit, but I'm not going to tell you what they are."

As far as editors helping place writers with getting published, I'm not sure where the confusion is coming in, but many editors include placement with an agent/publisher where appropriate in their services.

Ah. I see what you mean now--thanks for that clarification.

Editors edit the book they're given.

Editorial agencies, like TLCUK, Cornerstones, and The Writers' Workshop, provide editorial guidance and have some connections with agents and publishers.

There's a difference.

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My R&Rs did come with specific requests. Fortunately, four out of five editors requested similar changes. One requested some unusual and rather radical changes to be made. I did not use an editor, and I don't think my agent would be supportive of that idea at all. She is very hands-on, and I think we've got enough cooks in the kitchen already!

I'm still waiting on all five resubmissions, although I did hear that one editor got back to my agent saying she loved the book. This same editor requested an author bio. I assume that's for the editorial board pitch? Still waiting, with fingers crossed!

WalpurgisQuill

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everyone. Editors are extremely busy individuals who wouldn't ask you to re-submit if they weren't genuinely interested. I think you have a really, really good shot at making a sale, as long as you do exactly what the editor tells you to do.

Congrats!

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Still waiting... Haven't heard a thing from anyone. Telling myself publishing is slow in summer and hoping I'll hear something soon. Like tomorrow! Trying not to go insane. SIGH!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Publishing is slow, even when it isn't summer. I try to forget about waiting and focus on the next project. I'm querying a few things. Periodically I look back to see what's still out. Forgetting saves the sanity, or does it imply the sanity is already lost?

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I have to agree with Old Hack that it would be a terrible idea to pay some editor to "help" in this situation it would just confuse everything. The only thing that matters in this situation is the writer trying to follow the specific request and resubmit guidelines given by the editors at the publishing houses. But oh my God did you edit your book more than one different way to fit with all those different editors resubmit requests or did you just re-haul it once and send that to all of them?

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
I had one of these 'revise and resubmits' (although it was a very subtle read between the lines kind of one, I only realised it wasn't a straight out rejection after a couple of reads and had shown it to another person!) I sent my kid's novel straight to the publisher, and her feedback was very on-point and helpful. So I fixed it up a bit and a week ago she emailed me, saying she wanted an electronic copy of my manuscript so she could show it to the 'various divisions.' I know it might be a while until I hear anything (she warned me of this in her email) but I'm biting my fingernails here! I'm trying to read negative threads on here about how hard it is to get published so I don't get my hopes up haha.

Just Me, how is it all going?

La nuit etoilee

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone out there still waiting to hear back on a revise and resubmit? I'm reviving this thread, because it helped give me hope in my sad, obsessive state of late night googling. My dream agent requested an R&R, I agreed with all her points, took a month on revisions, and sent it off to her in May. My inbox is making me crazy. I feel simultaneously wildly hopeful and sick with worry that this will become just another R, in which case, I'm ready to self pub at this point. The waiting is torture!!!:scared:

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
La nuit etoilee: to give you a bit of hope (I see I posted here in April 2013) my R&R was accepted and published in the middle of last year. And it is still going strong in bookstores! So it can happen.

But I know what you mean about the waiting - it drove me nuts too!

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Just to give you a bit more hope, La nuit etoilee, I had an offer to revise and resubmit. I worked hard, was almost finished with rvsns., and learned that Agent X from Agency Y, who'd offered that R&R, was leaving agenting.

I bit the bullet and started querying again. One of the agents I queried was from Agency Y. She liked my query, asked for a synopsis, and ultimately took a pass.

BUT, she knew an agent at another agency whom she thought might be interested. She actually contacted him on my behalf. The rest, as they say . . . point being, even if one door closes, another might open. In this business, you never flippin' know.

:Hug2:

Last edited:

La nuit etoilee

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats thelittleprince! That is fantastic news! I appreciate the hope that it CAN happen! And thank you kkbe for the encouragement that if one door closes, another may open. I think my problem is I'm over querying at this point, because over the course of 6 years, I've queried four novels. Still biting my nails, waiting to hear what Dream Agent thought of my revisions. The other agents with my full MS have been sitting on it for 4 months, which is hard. I hope I get my answer soon. :)

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I do know what you mean about over-querying, I was querying two novels at once, pretty aggressively. Which meant, lots of rejections. I got some bites but, you know.

But like I said, you never know. I hope you get your answer soon, too.