Acknowledging an acknowledgment?

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
Got a "Thanks for submitting your MS, will get back to you ASAP" email today. It was a proper email not an auto-reply.

Is it polite or pushy to respond with "Thanks, look forward to hearing from you"?

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
No. Resist the urge! They get a million emails to deal with. Do NOT give them a million and one with something completely irrelevant. I know it feels polite, but it's not, I swear.

Elizabeth Holloway

Pass the sugar
Registered
Reaction score
Since it often means more to hear something from more than one person, I agree with WildScribe. Resist that urge!

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I responded to an agent once, but that's because they gave me some really good feedback on my query letter. I couldn't help myself.

But for what you said, I wouldn't respond. They already know you appreciate it.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
I responded to an agent once, but that's because they gave me some really good feedback on my query letter. I couldn't help myself.

But for what you said, I wouldn't respond. They already know you appreciate it.

That I'd say is fine - recommended, even - because they've spent time they didn't have to.

Otherwise, no.

Sophie, that's probably still an auto-reply, just one which is sent once somebody has checked your submission has arrived intact. If I was given to speculation, it could be a system where all incoming queries are checked, a confirmation sent to the ones kept, and rejections sent to the people who've sent the wrong genre/slush pile hell candidates.