Appropriate time after offer

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
What is the appropriate amount of time that an author should give to other agents to respond after an agent has made an offer? I know it is appropriate to give this professional courtesy, but the correct amount of time to give that I have seen varies widely.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I think the range depends on how interested you are in this agent and how interested you are in the other agents who have not yet made an offer. When mine offered, I gave the others a week. Then I realized after talking to the dude who is now my agent, nothing any of the others said would have made a difference. After 3 days I notified them all that I was taking the offer.

If, on the other hand, you're really interested in someone else, you might want to extend your waiting period a bit - and make sure they know they're high on your list.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I think 4 business days to a week is totally appropriate. If it is a holiday weekend or something, account for that.

UniversalExport

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't want to open up a new thread for this. Can anyone tell me if it's ok to go on querying after there's an offer from one agency? And if so, what do you tell them, do you say in the query that there's an offer on the table already? :Shrug: Thanks!

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
UniversalExport, querying after an offer is very much frowned upon. Giving agents who already have a query a heads-up is a-okay though.

To the OP: One of the agents holding my partial when I got an offer was heavily pregnant at the time, and I knew that was sucking up a lot of her time. With that in mind, I asked the offering agent for two weeks to decide/nudge other agents, which is generally seen as the maximum amount to ask for. He was totally cool with that, but I ended up regretting it very, very quickly. Even with an offer on the table--maybe especially--the wait for the final yay or nay from other agents is grueling.

Don't go over a week. Your nerves will thank you for it. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - don't send more queries if you have an offer. You should have queried your top choices from the start.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I think the range depends on how interested you are in this agent and how interested you are in the other agents who have not yet made an offer. When mine offered, I gave the others a week. Then I realized after talking to the dude who is now my agent, nothing any of the others said would have made a difference. After 3 days I notified them all that I was taking the offer.

I just died a little inside. PLEASE, guys, do NOT do this. If you notify us you have an offer it gets bumped up to the top of the list, and it's highly likely in those three days we've spent time reading. For you to turn around AFTER you told us we had a week and then be like, nevermind!... ahhh, just please, think it through and if you must withdraw, do so, but try to avoid the above. i dont mean that to ream you, btw, hopefully no one wasted any time and all is good in the world, I just didn't want others reading that and following suit.

Also, to the OP a week is very much standard, and it helps big time if there is a weekend there (which obvs there is, if you do a full 7 days.). 90% of folks say a week.

jcroc

Registered
Reaction score
And it can't hurt to talk to everyone interested. Someone might seem like the perfect fit, but you just never know unless you give them all a shot at talking to you.