Status
Not open for further replies.

TribalCat

Tyger's Mama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tribalcatslair.blogspot.com
I have a few questions, and I realize they might be silly, but I have a touch of OCD and want to do things "right", if "right" exists.

Do you use real place names in your stories, or would it be better to create new places/names? For example, if I place my story in an existing mid- or small-sized town where readers who live there are very familiar with their town, would it be better to use existing street names, or make up new names? I would imagine it rarely happens that someone reads a book while referring to a map at the same time, but it's possible, especially if they're from that town. They might object if they notice that I've squeezed in a fictional street between two streets that actually exist, or if I've added a building or a landmark on an existing street where there is none. Should I just avoid all that and create a whole new town that just happens to resemble the actual town, and if so, could I include famous landmarks that actually do exist?

My other question is about my fantasy WIP. It doesn't take place in a quasi-medieval setting, but it does take place on "earth" or a planet very like it that is sparsely populated and mostly wilderness. The specific planet is not addressed in my story. My characters are animalistic humanoids who refer to each other as "people", and they do live in small towns. How much normal terminology should I use for plants and animals, or is it okay if I blend them with created terminology? For example, my characters eat foods like spinach and fish, but I've created one fruit that doesn't actually exist. They also use herbs for cooking, medicinal and magical reasons, and some of them are herbs that exist, but a couple are herbs I've created that have specific attributes important to the story. I have a tree with special wood, but there are also oaks and pine trees. I'm also creating some specific weapons that fit with the races of my characters, but some of the minor characters might also use common weapons like bows and arrows.

I guess I'm asking, in my very long-winded way, is if it's okay to blend existing items/places with created items/places, etc.?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm asking, in my very long-winded way, is if it's okay to blend existing items/places with created items/places, etc.?

It's perfectly okay. Lots of writers do this.

In my Fantasy novel, I have real places like London and I also have places that I've loosely based on real places but given fake names. So Brighton appears in my book as Oxmouth because that means I can arrange the geography to my liking. Inventing a new capital city for the UK would be harder.

It's also okay to insert fictional places into real ones. Sometimes it's preferable, as then you don't have to worry about there being a real John Smith living at 2 Dunhill Street who's about to sue you for defamation ;).

TribalCat

Tyger's Mama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you for responding so quickly :)

Sue Grafton writes about Santa Teresa, which I believe is Santa Barbara, CA, and I have read two books in which I recognized the town simply by the description, although they were given different names in the novels and found out later that I was right.

What about using a famous privately-owned establishment like the Tattered Cover bookstore in Denver? Could I use that in my novel, or should I rename it? Would there be legal issues? I would think, at the very least, a mention should appear in the acknowledgements.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding the place names.I depends on how important the location is to the story. Peter James www.peterjames.com/#2 sets all his stories in Brighton .The location is part of the story . People will actual visit the difrent locations that he mentions in his books, it's part of the interest in his stories . But , he spends as much time on research as writing the story. Personal ,if it can be any place, I just make it up.

Making up names for food etc.
It can add to feeling of being in an alien world ,but it you have some one tucking into a bowel of tribs for breakfast you will need to explain what trips are or leave the reader in the dark .I don't go-into the details of the more mundane aspects of life and try to sticking to descriptions that don't need too much explaining.

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
Sounds perfectly fine to me, mixing the real and fictional, that is. I was under the impression that's the whole point of writing fiction. =P

No, seriously, the average writer does that all the time, especially in sci-fi and fantasy.

Debeucci

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wesleychu.com
I'm writing a modern day sci-fi series based in real places. I try to make every place and event as real as possible and only create if I need to.

I feel that it brings a level of truth to the story.

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
I have two wip, one that is on real earth but takes place in an imaginary town between two real cities in New Mexico. The other wip is a fantasy story where it's not earth, it's not earth food and it's not humans though the characters have quadrupedal bilateral symmetry. I took that one to a workshop and the teacher loved the story, said she wanted to read more, but everyone kept asking for a GLOSSARY. Not that it's bad, but some of the food/plant/animal terms only served to make it not-earth, and were not integral to the story line. My beta reader never asked for a glossary and seemed quite able to accept the otherness of certain things. I think it boils down to who you're writing for, and how much the story needs its own vocab. I did write a glossary, but the only names I changed was for the units of time and days. I hope this helps.

TribalCat

Tyger's Mama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for responding, everyone :)

I guess for the locations, as long as I don't get TOO specific, it should be okay. On the other hand, I'll want to do a little more description on the created items without ending up in an infodump.

Status
Not open for further replies.