Fessing up is supposed to be good for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't told anyone in real life. It doesn't seem worth it.

Only people that know are you guys (and those poetry contest people...but I used a pseudonym for that).

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
This.

When I talk about my writing, I approach it in the way other people talk about their jobs. Usually *extremely* short and general. When the topic changes to tangible accomplishments, I talk about my journalism, then hopefully we've moved onto more interesting topics... because my guess is talking about my job to them is as boring as them talking about their job to me.

This tends to backfire on me, because of my dayjob. I tell people I'm a veterinarian and the cat stories become as thick as fleas. Not that I have anything against cats (they're good with saurkraut), but when I want to sort of skink on by and get back to writing, I have to cough up free advice on how best to lubricate trichobezoars. When Ido spend time writing, especially at work, people think I'm playing computer games and liquefying my brains. Boggle is a great computer game!

Darkwing

I actually try not to talk about publishing with people unless they specifically ask me a question or I can trust them not to be dumb about things. I have, indeed, gotten into arguments with people about how to query agents, etc. It's one of the most frustrating experiences, having people who are trying to "help you" basically spew a bunch of crap at you. Yesterday, for instance, I got asked by someone about whether large publishing houses send you rejections but then steal your work and publish it anyway. Thankfully, he didn't argue with me when I (nicely) told him that was complete bunk.

The one place where I make an exception is Facebook. I figure anyone who'll try to argue with me about this stuff on my own darned status message is too rude to be my friend on there in the first place. So I post whatever I want about my writing there and trust people won't be douchebags.

Ultimately, I'm proud to be a writer. I'm even proud to let people know I'm a writer. But from there, I don't really go into much detail. They'd be bored, anyway, with most of what I find interesting.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.