• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Space Goat Productions

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score
Hello, I've recently considered writing my stories in graphic novel forum. Mostly due to the fact that the kind of story I'm writing has traditionally always been written in comics. Also having looked at a few comic scripts I may find the format easier to work with than prose.

So I decided to research ways writers can hook themselves up with artists. I looked at places like Digital Webbing and ConceptArt.org until I eventually came across this:

http://spacegoatproductions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

I found it almost completely by chance on someones blog, given the stuff they offer I would have thought you'd see these guys mentioned everywhere. They seem very legit to me.

What do you guy's think?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My first question would be "what does it cost", I am betting that a full script to release treatment would be in the tens of thousands, at least.

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score
My first question would be "what does it cost", I am betting that a full script to release treatment would be in the tens of thousands, at least.

Here are some things from their service info page:

We offer pencils, inks, colors, letters and pre-press services at very affordable rates

We work to meet all budgets.

Allowing us to package your comic book provides you our absolute best discount rates

I know this depends on how you define "very affordable rates" in comic-book economics, but it seems enough to perk any aspiring writer's interests.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Tens of thousands is what I would estimate to be the low end/affordable end for providing camera-ready art and packaging for a graphic novel. The absence of specific numbers is also code for "it costs a lot".

But they are a service provider not a publisher--so of course they will charge money.

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score
No, it really doesn't.

Yog's Law: Money flows to the writer.

From what I understand; Yog's law doesn't really apply to comics. All comic or graphic novel companies that publish creator-owned properties, whether they are monthly titles or full-length graphic novels, require all submissions to be accompanied by art.

Unless the writer is an artist himself the only way I know to do this is to post job offers on art forums or make use of services like Space Goat.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not sure that services like Space Goat are at all advisable for writers just entering the industry. The make more sense for established properties where you can be reasonably certain of earning out the costs. I would not even consider them without know the full costs and having a complete marketing plan that minimizes the risk of running a loss. Look at who Space Goat services, almost entirely the big boys, Marvel etc, and no indy writers that I can see. They are fully-professional artists and they charge full freight--pencils, inks and coloring. That's not cheap.

Last edited:

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score
I am not sure that services like Space Goat are at all advisable for writers just entering the industry. The make more sense for established properties where you can be reasonably certain of earning out the costs. I would not even consider them without know the full costs and having a complete marketing plan that minimizes the risk of running a loss. Look at who Space Goat services, almost entirely the big boys, Marvel etc, and no indy writers that I can see. They are fully-professional artists and they charge full freight--pencils, inks and coloring. That's not cheap.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask for a quote.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would anticipate that if your budget for a graphic novel has less than 5 digits you will still be out of luck.

Professional freelance artists are expensive. And that is what these people are.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
You may want to consider contacting a few of the people on their client list privately for their opinion on the experience working with SGP. Rich Johnson of Bleeding Cool worked with their colorists -- though it's possible BOOM!Studios did the hiring -- and seems pretty open. Budget wise, however, you'll probably have to ask them for a quote as I wager a lot of factors come into play; a starting point might be to ask how much pencils by so-and-so artist for an X page comic would be.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
The colorist says he or she is getting a "comfortable" per-page rate, one comparable with working in regular comics. Colorists make less than inkers, and they both make less than pencillers, so Veinglory's estimate of five figures for a graphic novel is correct. You could probably get something the length of a single issue of a comic book for four figures.

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score
You may want to consider contacting a few of the people on their client list privately for their opinion on the experience working with SGP. Rich Johnson of Bleeding Cool worked with their colorists -- though it's possible BOOM!Studios did the hiring -- and seems pretty open. Budget wise, however, you'll probably have to ask them for a quote as I wager a lot of factors come into play; a starting point might be to ask how much pencils by so-and-so artist for an X page comic would be.

I'll probably have to get a quote, as you said. I've been hearing some bad things about Digital Webbing but Concept Art sounds OK.

Veinglory and HapiSofi may be right; maybe they'll only settle for around five figures, in which case they're out of the question for now. I'm writing one of my novels as a comic script right now. When it's done, edited, and I have a good idea of the final page count I'll take the plunge and ask for a quote. If it IS mind-bogglingly expensive I'll probably post an offer on Concept Art and see what I get.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
I have a suggestion. If you live in a city with an art institute or university program, post an ad asking for artists to contact you.

You never know what you will find. Perhaps a collaborative project might happen.

Just remember that you get what you pay for.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand; Yog's law doesn't really apply to comics. All comic or graphic novel companies that publish creator-owned properties, whether they are monthly titles or full-length graphic novels, require all submissions to be accompanied by art.

Unless the writer is an artist himself the only way I know to do this is to post job offers on art forums or make use of services like Space Goat.

And this is not entirely true. Check out the Dark Horse Writer's Guidelines. They DO NOT require artwork as part of the submissions process UNLESS you want to work with someone specific (i.e. you DO have an artist lined up). You can send them just the script/script sample. (Plus the synopsis of the entire story.)
/offtopic

Aggy, looked into writing graphic novels for a while too

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
And this is not entirely true. Check out the Dark Horse Writer's Guidelines. They DO NOT require artwork as part of the submissions process UNLESS you want to work with someone specific (i.e. you DO have an artist lined up). You can send them just the script/script sample. (Plus the synopsis of the entire story.)
/offtopic
That being said, Dark Horse is one of the few "big guys" that accept scripts without accompanying artwork.

P.S. Welcome ShonBury!

Brochfael

Banned
Reaction score
We're happy to offer you a quote any time you're ready. Please email me at [email protected]. We'll get you taken care of.

Thanks so much for taking the time to register on this forum and responding to my thread.

I'll make sure to do that when I get the chance.

/offtopic

Aggy, looked into writing graphic novels for a while too

Interesting, I was under the impression that Image was the only big publisher accepting submissions of any kind. Even smaller publishers seem to insist on providing some form of art.

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
Interesting, I was under the impression that Image was the only big publisher accepting submissions of any kind. Even smaller publishers seem to insist on providing some form of art.

From http://www.imagecomics.com/submissions/

WE DO NOT ACCEPT writing (that is plots, scripts, whatever) samples! If you're an established pro, we might be able to find somebody willing to work with you but it would be nearly impossible for us to read through every script that might find its way our direction. DO NOT SEND your script or your plot unaccompanied by art -- it will be discarded, unread.