The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Space Goat Productions

  1. #1
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69

    Space Goat Productions

    Hello, I've recently considered writing my stories in graphic novel forum. Mostly due to the fact that the kind of story I'm writing has traditionally always been written in comics. Also having looked at a few comic scripts I may find the format easier to work with than prose.

    So I decided to research ways writers can hook themselves up with artists. I looked at places like Digital Webbing and ConceptArt.org until I eventually came across this:

    http://spacegoatproductions.com/inde...&id=1&Itemid=2

    I found it almost completely by chance on someones blog, given the stuff they offer I would have thought you'd see these guys mentioned everywhere. They seem very legit to me.

    What do you guy's think?

  2. #2
    Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly. SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    youtu.be/QRruBVFXjnY
    Posts
    20,558
    Brochfael, you may be able to get more of a response here in "BR&BC". -- Williebee
    This morning the sun came up.
    Just like yesterday, and tomorrow.
    Face the day, not the darkness.

  3. #3
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,767
    My first question would be "what does it cost", I am betting that a full script to release treatment would be in the tens of thousands, at least.
    Emily Veinglory

  4. #4
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    My first question would be "what does it cost", I am betting that a full script to release treatment would be in the tens of thousands, at least.
    Here are some things from their service info page:

    We offer pencils, inks, colors, letters and pre-press services at very affordable rates
    We work to meet all budgets.
    Allowing us to package your comic book provides you our absolute best discount rates
    I know this depends on how you define "very affordable rates" in comic-book economics, but it seems enough to perk any aspiring writer's interests.

  5. #5
    Writer is as Writer does Terie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Brochfael View Post
    I know this depends on how you define "very affordable rates" in comic-book economics, but it seems enough to perk any aspiring writer's interests.
    No, it really doesn't.

    Yog's Law: Money flows to the writer.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

    The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

    Author website | Author blog

  6. #6
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,767
    Tens of thousands is what I would estimate to be the low end/affordable end for providing camera-ready art and packaging for a graphic novel. The absence of specific numbers is also code for "it costs a lot".

    But they are a service provider not a publisher--so of course they will charge money.
    Emily Veinglory

  7. #7
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    No, it really doesn't.

    Yog's Law: Money flows to the writer.
    From what I understand; Yog's law doesn't really apply to comics. All comic or graphic novel companies that publish creator-owned properties, whether they are monthly titles or full-length graphic novels, require all submissions to be accompanied by art.

    Unless the writer is an artist himself the only way I know to do this is to post job offers on art forums or make use of services like Space Goat.

  8. #8
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,767
    I am not sure that services like Space Goat are at all advisable for writers just entering the industry. The make more sense for established properties where you can be reasonably certain of earning out the costs. I would not even consider them without know the full costs and having a complete marketing plan that minimizes the risk of running a loss. Look at who Space Goat services, almost entirely the big boys, Marvel etc, and no indy writers that I can see. They are fully-professional artists and they charge full freight--pencils, inks and coloring. That's not cheap.
    Last edited by veinglory; 06-25-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Emily Veinglory

  9. #9
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69
    Alright so I took another look at the blog post I mentioned in my OP and found another two similar companies. This one in particular caught my interest:

    http://glasshousegraphics.com/newsite/

    What's interesting is they give you the option to get a quote for your project. you fill out a form which asks you, among other things, what you budbget is. You can take a look here:

    http://glasshousegraphics.com/newsite/?page_id=354

  10. #10
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    I am not sure that services like Space Goat are at all advisable for writers just entering the industry. The make more sense for established properties where you can be reasonably certain of earning out the costs. I would not even consider them without know the full costs and having a complete marketing plan that minimizes the risk of running a loss. Look at who Space Goat services, almost entirely the big boys, Marvel etc, and no indy writers that I can see. They are fully-professional artists and they charge full freight--pencils, inks and coloring. That's not cheap.
    I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask for a quote.

  11. #11
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,767
    I would anticipate that if your budget for a graphic novel has less than 5 digits you will still be out of luck.

    Professional freelance artists are expensive. And that is what these people are.
    Emily Veinglory

  12. #12
    Pedaling Pescado Bicyclefish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    472
    You may want to consider contacting a few of the people on their client list privately for their opinion on the experience working with SGP. Rich Johnson of Bleeding Cool worked with their colorists -- though it's possible BOOM!Studios did the hiring -- and seems pretty open. Budget wise, however, you'll probably have to ask them for a quote as I wager a lot of factors come into play; a starting point might be to ask how much pencils by so-and-so artist for an X page comic would be.
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):


    Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/


  13. #13
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69
    Found this thread over at digital webbing:

    http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums...d.php?t=152810

  14. #14
    Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,090
    The colorist says he or she is getting a "comfortable" per-page rate, one comparable with working in regular comics. Colorists make less than inkers, and they both make less than pencillers, so Veinglory's estimate of five figures for a graphic novel is correct. You could probably get something the length of a single issue of a comic book for four figures.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

  15. #15
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicyclefish View Post
    You may want to consider contacting a few of the people on their client list privately for their opinion on the experience working with SGP. Rich Johnson of Bleeding Cool worked with their colorists -- though it's possible BOOM!Studios did the hiring -- and seems pretty open. Budget wise, however, you'll probably have to ask them for a quote as I wager a lot of factors come into play; a starting point might be to ask how much pencils by so-and-so artist for an X page comic would be.
    I'll probably have to get a quote, as you said. I've been hearing some bad things about Digital Webbing but Concept Art sounds OK.

    Veinglory and HapiSofi may be right; maybe they'll only settle for around five figures, in which case they're out of the question for now. I'm writing one of my novels as a comic script right now. When it's done, edited, and I have a good idea of the final page count I'll take the plunge and ask for a quote. If it IS mind-bogglingly expensive I'll probably post an offer on Concept Art and see what I get.

  16. #16
    Smoking Monkey Smart Arse Foinah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Where it rains. Eternally.
    Posts
    1,880
    I have a suggestion. If you live in a city with an art institute or university program, post an ad asking for artists to contact you.

    You never know what you will find. Perhaps a collaborative project might happen.

    Just remember that you get what you pay for.
    Release date 10/24/2014
    ebook and print

    Yes...I have an author site! It's keen!
    Short stories available for amazon kindle : Support my coffee habit
    Smoking Monkeys have all the fun. Yes, yes we do. Smoking Simian Scribbles (pssst, it's a blog)

    Stop in, have a cup of tea and a smile, and say Hello in the Pagan Forum

  17. #17
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1
    We're happy to offer you a quote any time you're ready. Please email me at shoncbury@spacegoatproductions.com. We'll get you taken care of.

  18. #18
    Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Just north of the Deep South
    Posts
    10,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Brochfael View Post
    From what I understand; Yog's law doesn't really apply to comics. All comic or graphic novel companies that publish creator-owned properties, whether they are monthly titles or full-length graphic novels, require all submissions to be accompanied by art.

    Unless the writer is an artist himself the only way I know to do this is to post job offers on art forums or make use of services like Space Goat.
    And this is not entirely true. Check out the Dark Horse Writer's Guidelines. They DO NOT require artwork as part of the submissions process UNLESS you want to work with someone specific (i.e. you DO have an artist lined up). You can send them just the script/script sample. (Plus the synopsis of the entire story.)
    /offtopic

    Aggy, looked into writing graphic novels for a while too
    _________
    A.G.C.

    OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "Don't pick it up if you have important things to do today."
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."
    OF SHADE AND SOUL: Available now!


    A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

  19. #19
    Pedaling Pescado Bicyclefish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
    And this is not entirely true. Check out the Dark Horse Writer's Guidelines. They DO NOT require artwork as part of the submissions process UNLESS you want to work with someone specific (i.e. you DO have an artist lined up). You can send them just the script/script sample. (Plus the synopsis of the entire story.)
    /offtopic
    That being said, Dark Horse is one of the few "big guys" that accept scripts without accompanying artwork.

    P.S. Welcome ShonBury!
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):


    Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/


  20. #20
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by ShonBury View Post
    We're happy to offer you a quote any time you're ready. Please email me at shoncbury@spacegoatproductions.com. We'll get you taken care of.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to register on this forum and responding to my thread.

    I'll make sure to do that when I get the chance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
    And this is not entirely true. Check out the Dark Horse Writer's Guidelines. They DO NOT require artwork as part of the submissions process UNLESS you want to work with someone specific (i.e. you DO have an artist lined up). You can send them just the script/script sample. (Plus the synopsis of the entire story.)
    /offtopic

    Aggy, looked into writing graphic novels for a while too
    Interesting, I was under the impression that Image was the only big publisher accepting submissions of any kind. Even smaller publishers seem to insist on providing some form of art.

  21. #21
    I draw comics, lots of comics. Sharii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Brochfael View Post
    Interesting, I was under the impression that Image was the only big publisher accepting submissions of any kind. Even smaller publishers seem to insist on providing some form of art.
    From http://www.imagecomics.com/submissions/

    WE DO NOT ACCEPT writing (that is plots, scripts, whatever) samples! If you're an established pro, we might be able to find somebody willing to work with you but it would be nearly impossible for us to read through every script that might find its way our direction. DO NOT SEND your script or your plot unaccompanied by art -- it will be discarded, unread.

  22. #22
    Banned for Trolling
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharii View Post
    That's what I meant, I thought open submission policies for comic companies only applied to proposals acompanied by art.

  23. #23
    I draw comics, lots of comics. Sharii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    99
    I apologize, I did not read properly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search