Am I Too Short (This Post is NOT about Dwarves, Lilliputians, or Skirt Lengths)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Feverishly editing my post-apocalyptic urban fantasy ever since I got that partial request (because, you know, if they want to see the rest of it, the whole thing better rock the house!) and I've got about 16 chapters left to go and I'm starting to get nervous about word count.

I'm currently pegging right at 60,000 words, and I fear, because fantasy tends to run longer, that this might be too short. I think urban fantasy is shorter than traditional or epic, so I don't know where mine might fit in the paradigm, but still...

What do you do, if you're too short? I don't want to go extra descriptive or get excessively purple. Do I need to add a D story (It's got an A, B, and C story already)? Or what?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you feel like you've told the story as effectively as possible, you can stick at 60,000 words. In fact, it might actually be a bonus. One of the things that chases a lot of readers away from fantasy is the epic size of the books. People might like a read they can knock out in a few hours.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The word I've heard from my SF/F published friends is that editors are looking for books shorter than the "expected" 100K, especially in Fantasy.

If they like the story, they'll take it. If they like it and want it longer, they'll work with you on it. I have one friend who submitted a 200K SF book and the editor worked with her to cut it down to a more reasonable (I think it was 90K) book.

Just concentrate on making it the best damn book you can, however long it is.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Fantasy and urban fantasy are two very different animals. Fantasy invents new words; UF (usually) alters familiar ones. So UF can run shorter.

If you've got a partial request, I presume you've already queried and mentioned the word count, right? If they're requesting knowing the word count, then what's the problem? Or did you not mention it?

My concern would be that 60k is going to make for a very lean, taut novel, and UF--especially post-apocalyptic--needs sufficient world-building to be plausible and satisfying.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
The traditional length for an old-style paperback is 70-90k; for a fantasy doorstop, 100k+.

However, ebook publishers are experimenting with forms between these lengths and novella length.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I was going to finish at 60K, so I went through for areas where it could be expanded. I didn't add more subplots... I just added depth to the ones that were there. That brought me up to 70K (which is still low, but within commonly given acceptable lengths).

Adding more plot works if you're low on plot, but if you know you have enough plot for a novel, it's more likely some areas are rushed.

If this is for a full request though, you don't have time for any of that.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Tell the story and tell it well and don't worry about the length of it.

RachelxRussell

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue, dclary, except I haven't even started to query my present WIP yet.

I'm wanting my novel to clock in near 75k (and it's contemporary fantasy), but I'm well below said goal. I have plans to go through and try to improve characterization, do just a little more world building, and possibly give one of the bad guys a little more face time.

I, personally, don't feel 60k is too short. But if you're looking to boost your word count like I am, maybe you could take a look at the characterization in your novel, as well as explore any existing subplots a bit more in-depth. Might help.

Good luck with the revisions as well as your request!

The Illusionist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinabrendel.blogspot.com
I'm wondering dclary if you are submitting to agents or publisher? Because agents are more flexible, they work with you to fill out the story etc. While publishers on the other hand want a little more 'finished' products. The will obviously still edit with you but they might be turned off if there is too much still to do, aka add 20k words.

I feel it also depends what type of UF you are writing, is it for adults or YA?

If you want a guideline here an article complied by agents on the apoximate wordcounts for most genres + sub genres. For adult urban fantasy they say between 90k to 100k. Again though, that is the length they aim to submit to publishers, meaning they might take you on as a client with your 60k and just work together with you to fill it out more.

So, the point of my long ramble: if you are submitting to agents I thinks you should be okay, they will work on it with you if they want it to be longer. If submitting directly to publishing houses might be better to increase the wordcount at least a little.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'm wondering dclary if you are submitting to agents or publisher? Because agents are more flexible, they work with you to fill out the story etc. While publishers on the other hand want a little more 'finished' products. The will obviously still edit with you but they might be turned off if there is too much still to do, aka add 20k words.

I feel it also depends what type of UF you are writing, is it for adults or YA?

If you want a guideline here an article complied by agents on the apoximate wordcounts for most genres + sub genres. For adult urban fantasy they say between 90k to 100k. Again though, that is the length they aim to submit to publishers, meaning they might take you on as a client with your 60k and just work together with you to fill it out more.

So, the point of my long ramble: if you are submitting to agents I thinks you should be okay, they will work on it with you if they want it to be longer. If submitting directly to publishing houses might be better to increase the wordcount at least a little.

I have a query out to an agent. They liked the query and asked to see the first 30. I'm now editing the rest of the work like crazy to make sure it's the best it can be if (WHEN!) they ask for the rest. I'm just concerned about whether or not I should be looking at adding word count as I go.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
In all honesty, I think it is too short if the book is aimed at the adult market.
A UK editorial director told me a couple of years ago that the ideal length of a debut contemporary fantasy novel for the UK market is 90-100k. With secondary world you can go longer.

The Illusionist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinabrendel.blogspot.com
I have a query out to an agent. They liked the query and asked to see the first 30. I'm now editing the rest of the work like crazy to make sure it's the best it can be if (WHEN!) they ask for the rest. I'm just concerned about whether or not I should be looking at adding word count as I go.

This really is tricky. Maybe try an in between path - as you revise do try to add but don't make it forced. If you feel that would not be enough you can consider adding a subplot.

Yet if the agent gets back to you before you are done maybe being honest would be the right thing? You could say you have realized at 60k you are a little short for the market and if she would mind giving you some time to add to your story. Either she will give you the time, meaning she agrees 60k is too short, or she will say don't do that , just send me what you have and we will see from there, which means she is open on working on it with you.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In all honesty, I think it is too short if the book is aimed at the adult market.
A UK editorial director told me a couple of years ago that the ideal length of a debut contemporary fantasy novel for the UK market is 90-100k. With secondary world you can go longer.

I think, especially given the prot's just an older teen to begin with, that if I had to rescope this as YA, I could. There is not too much "adult themed" material within.

Something I could consider then.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
This really is tricky. Maybe try an in between path - as you revise do try to add but don't make it forced. If you feel that would not be enough you can consider adding a subplot.

Yet if the agent gets back to you before you are done maybe being honest would be the right thing? You could say you have realized at 60k you are a little short for the market and if she would mind giving you some time to add to your story. Either she will give you the time, meaning she agrees 60k is too short, or she will say don't do that , just send me what you have and we will see from there, which means she is open on working on it with you.

I might do that. I'll wait to see if they want the full -- if they do, I'll let them know what the word count is and go from there. Otherwise, it's edit, edit, edit, and look for plot points I can expand on until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.