A site like AW's SYW, but for music?

Schilcote

Registered
Reaction score
Just like I'm an amateur writer needing guidance and critique, I'm also an amateur musician, needing the same. Is there a site similar to this one where I can put up my musical works for critique?

Schilcote

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Soundcloud was just a hosting service- how do I get critiques on it? Or do you mean just the comments? In that case, it isn't really working for me since no-one actually listens to my music...

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much the comments.

In all honesty, I can't think of a way to "improve" someone's music with a critique.
There are a lot of places where, let say:
You post a song on Soundcloud
Then allow the song to be listened by a music forum (I'm not sure where, exactly)
And allow them to tell you the details.

It's just up to finding a forum that would do that. And, I really don't know.

I'm deep within writing and music. And they both are the type of hobbies/jobs that you really can't have a outsider "take a look at" to help you. Especially for music when it's completely subjective, while writing is only partially subjective.

Truthfully, I've never heard someone say "I got help with this song" or something. Music is purely about defining a method and transpiring what you have in your head to that method. I can't see how someone's opinion would make your music better, when it is your music.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
There are some genre specific sites that have these forums. Soundcloud will be the host and you may get some comments there, but find a genre specific site and use that place to ask. The only general one I can think of is KvR-VST and that one will be mostly looking at software and hardware issues. Harmony Central might have a forum for this, but I haven't used that site for almost a decade now.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
There are some genre specific sites that have these forums. Soundcloud will be the host and you may get some comments there, but find a genre specific site and use that place to ask. The only general one I can think of is KvR-VST and that one will be mostly looking at software and hardware issues. Harmony Central might have a forum for this, but I haven't used that site for almost a decade now.

Last I remember, Harmony Central's critiquing part was mainly for individual instruments.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much the comments.

In all honesty, I can't think of a way to "improve" someone's music with a critique.

I can think of a way but in order to benefit from it the person would pretty much have to know at least something on making music, be it harmony, structure, etc.