Have many stories to tell, but just graduated with a math/compsci degree??

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
Got a degree in Biology, my full-time day-job has absolutely nil to do with that degree, and am squeezing in time to write (Paranormal/Fantasy Romance) ... Life takes one in odd directions. I'd say just go with the flow and see where it leads :).

My (probably will never be published 1st full-length novel) did benefit from all those bio classes tho....

tcnpika

Registered
Reaction score
rwm4768: that's wonderful, I hope you achieve either a masters or PhD! And I totally agree, it's about finding balance. Lately, I need to get myself to be more focused when I write...I'm finding I want to go on the web too much, checking the weather, checking the latest news, or other sites. I should just come here more often instead :)

ThatKnight64: thank you! And yes, again, balance is important. As I mentioned above, when I feel the need to drift away from my writing, I should come here, since I can learn a lot here and give critiques too...a win-win situation :)

Liralen: wow...I'm surprised at all the different professions in your writing sub-group. More and more, I'm gathering the main topic of my thread is not so unusual.

MsLaylaCakes: Biology is awesome. I thought of majoring in biochemistry before choosing what I graduated with. Actually, if given the time and money, I would like to have majors in biochemistry, chemistry, computer engineering, math, and computer science. I love them all.
And I understand your concern, about getting your novel published...but I just know, that the story I'm working on currently, it has a life of its own now, and I feel a great need to keep the story alive, and let others experience it, no matter what. I feel it's that important and I've devoted so much time and effort to the story. If it doesn't get published, I'll post it online. Maybe this is the wrong thought process to take as a writer, but that's just me. I'm hoping to encourage you too. Sometimes stories just have to be told.

RobertEvert

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertevert.com
Hi to all, newbie here :)

During the past four years, only during the summer breaks, I researched and finally completed a rough draft of a novel. Actually, I just completed six years of college (one year was mistakenly spent at a tech school) - graduated with a major (BS) and two minors.

But now, I have this novel I'm intensely devoted to, and I want it to be publish-ready. It needs to be shortened (I tend to write too much), and properly edited...but, can I be the only one out there having this problem? I think I do want to get a job in my field (programming, robotics, engineering, etc.), or...do I just want to be a writer now? And I do realize I'll have to get a job soon (can't live off savings forever). I'm interested in writing romantic sci-fi/fantasy.

I'm just puzzled by my behavior and I'm wondering if anyone else has been there, figured it out, decided to do both or not or whatever...

Thank you kindly :)

WELCOME!!!

Aside from the cash, day jobs round out our experiences and gives us something to write about.

Even in my fantasy ms, I use some of the conflict and emotions I see in my job. One or two of my coworkers are templates for my characters.

Still, quitting my day job is a bit of a fantasy in and of itself!

tcnpika

Registered
Reaction score
RobertEvert: great point, developing characters from witnessing co-workers! Actually, observing family members, especially at large family reunions, can be quite helpful too!...LOL...
Thank you for welcoming me here :)