• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

New Leaf Literary & Media

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Ms. Brady a few days back and got a very nice personalized rejection, and queried Ms, Volpe today (wasn't sure if their policy was don't query more than one agent at once, or don't query more than one at all). Here's hoping.

My impression is that a "no" from one agent is a "no" from all agents; therefore, you aren't supposed to query another agent with the same query letter. However, if you heavily revise your query letter (and preferably your MS too), you can resend it (even to the same agent.)

EDIT: Yup. From their submissions page:

Do not query more than one agent at New Leaf Literary & Media, Inc.

Last edited:

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Has there really been 0 activity/submissions to New Leaf? They're such a reputable agency!!

I subbed to Peter Knapp before the holidays and he's got my full. He said he'll get back to me within 8-10 weeks, so should be anytime now. Not in any rush though either. Just trying not to jinx this. *knocks on every piece of wood available*

perezerin

Registered
Reaction score
Jaida Temperly is actively acquiring MG/YA/A in some genres.

I actually just received a full manuscript request from her last night and she seemed very eager. There was only a 4-5 day turn around from the query being sent and receiving the full request. Fingers crossed this is the one finally!

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
So I queried Peter Knapp around Dec 04 and he asked for a full nearly right away, so which I sent it off. He asked for about 8-12 weeks to read it over. So I erred on caution and waited until Mar 8 (13 weeks) before sending him a nudge email. Now, the agency shares an email, you just address the agent in the subject and you get an automated response saying they received your email... so I got the automated response but nothing else since then. Should I nudge again? Give it more time?

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
So I queried Peter Knapp around Dec 04 and he asked for a full nearly right away, so which I sent it off. He asked for about 8-12 weeks to read it over. So I erred on caution and waited until Mar 8 (13 weeks) before sending him a nudge email. Now, the agency shares an email, you just address the agent in the subject and you get an automated response saying they received your email... so I got the automated response but nothing else since then. Should I nudge again? Give it more time?

I don't have a specific answer, but I want to suggest perhaps asking the New Leaf Literary Tumblr account to determine what they would prefer. I believe it's run by Suzie and she's fairly responsive to messages there.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com

Did the request come from the general email? If it came from his personal email, try nudging to that address.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Did the request come from the general email? If it came from his personal email, try nudging to that address.

No, our whole email chain has been done through the general email. And I don't think they have a separate email, but...

I don't have a specific answer, but I want to suggest perhaps asking the New Leaf Literary Tumblr account to determine what they would prefer. I believe it's run by Suzie and she's fairly responsive to messages there.

After googling for that, I found his tumblr where anonymous questions were being asked for status updates. He said he seems to be a bit behind right now so I asked if I should renudge or wait...

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Got this rejection today:

"Thank you for querying Suzie. While your premise sounds fantastic, Suzie is unable to take on more YA at the moment. Her list is overflowing with it. So she must regretfully pass."

So if you're querying YA, you might want to try one of the other New Leaf agents.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I'd finally received my rejection from Pete; he was very sweet and tried to let me down gently, saying it was a good read, everything was there, but it felt too Dystopian for him and that it was gonna be a hard sell. This kinda got to me cause I haven't really considered it Dystopian, I have it pegged as Scifi but having that sort feedback is great because I can go back and tweak it so that it reads more scifi and that someone else will hopefully take it on.

noveler7

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Jaida with an adult historical mystery on 6/8, received a request for a full on 7/1.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I just thought I'd update things here about whether or not you can send to more than one agent at New Leaf. I saw the following on Peter Knapp's Tumblr, backdated two weeks ago:

[FONT=&quot]New Leaf’s new policy is that if one agent passes, you can try other agents at the agency

[/FONT]

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Notice: Agent Peter Knapp announced today (August 9, 2016) that he has left New Leaf to return to Park Literary & Media (formerly known as The Park Literary Group). I saw it first on Query Tracker and confirmed it at both his website and Park Literary.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Per Publisher's Marketplace on Aug 8th, Janet Reid aka The Query Shark, is now at New Leaf. She was at Fine Print.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any recent experiences with Jordan Hamessley at New Leaf?

I submitted to Jordan in January and she requested more materials 5 weeks later.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I have Jordan on my list too. Posting this so I can follow the thread.

mbeasi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melindabeasi.com
Those of you who have queried at New Leaf Literary, did you get the auto-response to your query that is mentioned on their submission page? I haven't received one, but I wasn't sure if I should be concerned or not.

mbeasi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melindabeasi.com
Thanks, mafiaking1936 and Debbie V. I re-sent my query and got an auto-response this time, so something must have gone awry with my initial email. Hopefully I didn't just send a duplicate query.