AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Leaf Literary & Media

New Leaf Literary & Media

I checked to see if this was on the list, and I couldn't find it. But has anyone dealt with this agency?

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...KathleenOrtiz/

Kathleen Ortiz is also listed in the "Ask the Agent" forum, but it looks like she branched off into her own agency. It looks like she's already got great sales.

Anyone deal with her?

New Leaf is replacing Nancy Coffee Literary. Kathleen, Joanna Stampfel-Volpe, Suzie Townsend, etc. are moving to the new agency, with Jonanna as president / owner; Nancy's retiring.

Lurker, now activated. :-) Smiley0501's Avatar
    So are all the clients from NCLit moving with them?
    You can call me *~Smiley~*

Here's the PW announcement:

Former v-p of Nancy Coffey Literary, Joanna Stampfel-Volpe, has branched out on her own. The literary agent has formed New Leaf Literary & Media and, she said in a release, is bringing "a substantial" portion of the business from Nancy Coffey with her.
    http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...-literary.html

Lurker, now activated. :-) Smiley0501's Avatar
    Thanks, Cyia!
    You can call me *~Smiley~*

I am procrastinating LynneKelly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0501 View Post
    So are all the clients from NCLit moving with them?
    It's up to each client whether they'll stay with them or not, but I'm sure most clients are staying with their current agents. (Unless they were Nancy's, of course-- then they'll either go with one of the other New Leaf agents or start looking for someone else).

http://www.lynnekellybooks.com
    CHAINED, Farrar, Straus, & Giroux, May 2012

figuring it all out
    What Cyia and Lynne said.

And Undercover, with regard to Kathleen: she's my agent, and she is thoroughly awesome. She has a smaller list of clients because she handles foreign rights for the agency, but she is also very effective as an agent in general. This is what she's looking for in terms of submissions.

Thank you for that info and that link Lachrymal. That really helps. I just sent her a query on Wednesday. She sounds amazing. I read her wish list for YA and hope, hope, hope she wants to see more of mine, but I don't know. Mine is dark and edgy and it's a thriller, but she mentioned twice about it not being paranormal, which mine is, so maybe not.

Anyway, I do appreciate you sharing that.

Just queried Suzie at the new email address for New Leaf. In her guidelines, it says they have an auto-responder, but I received no such auto-repose. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe it's not up and running yet?

I didn't recieve an auto-response either. Maybe it isn't on yet. But my email went through okay, so I'm sure yours is fine too.

Thanks! I hope so.. Did you receive a reply (is that how you know it went through)?

Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    I didn't recieve an auto-response either. Maybe it isn't on yet. But my email went through okay, so I'm sure yours is fine too.

No, but I didn't receive that Daemon-Mailer thing, you know that auto reject email? I didn't get that either so I figured it went through.

There's some internet-service trouble at New Leaf right now thanks to a screw-up from the provider, so I wouldn't be too worried about not getting an auto-response. Follow Joanna, Kathleen, and Suzie on Twitter and you'll be able to see when things get fixed so you can resend.

Yeah, I saw that on twitter. I figured it was their service, not their server. But it might be playing a factor in auto-responder not working.

One thing I've learned from querying is that your email doesn't have to be rejected via an error message for it to have gotten lost.. so now I'm extra jumpy about it

Murder isn't so bad...
    I think I read somewhere on Twitter that they only added the auto-responder today? *shrug*

For anyone who's interested, they have their submission guidelines on the agency blog now.

bershka
    Suzie said on Twitter that she has caught up with all queries this week:

If you queried @sztownsend81 this week, she's responded to all queries and did a round up: http://confessionsofawanderingheart.blogspot.com/2012/06/query-roundup.html

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    So this agency is mainly looking for YA and MG books?
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL, WildBlue Press

www.cameronbanebooks.com

I can confirm that my query went through despite the lack of auto-responder as I received a full request from Suzie on Friday.
    That said, the auto-responder should work moving forward...

Congrats, katpaws, and good luck! Either way, it's great...Suzie read my full in the fall and even though she passed on it, she gave me some terrific feedback.

figuring it all out
    Gravity--I believe each of them also reps certain kinds of adult books, particularly romance, but they each have specific interests and preferences, of course. Suzie's submission guidelines are here, and Kathleen's are here.

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Well, now I feel like an idiot. A hour ago I e-queried Suzie with an adult suspense/thriller.
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL, WildBlue Press

www.cameronbanebooks.com

Thanks! Good to know she gives feedback. She sounded very excited about my concept in her request email so fingers crossed....

Quote Originally Posted by JSSchley View Post
    Congrats, katpaws, and good luck! Either way, it's great...Suzie read my full in the fall and even though she passed on it, she gave me some terrific feedback.

practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by katpaws View Post
    Thanks! Good to know she gives feedback. She sounded very excited about my concept in her request email so fingers crossed....
    Just so you don't set yourself up, Suzie doesn't always give feedback. I've had fulls with her twice, and the rejections have always been very general.

Does anyone know - has Volpe said she'll reopen to queries in the fall?
    BLOOD WATER PAINT, spring 2018, Dutton Young Readers

Sockpuppet
    Do they have a real website? I attempted to go to the link they have listed on Publisher's Marketplace here but it seems to go somewhere kinda funky... with like an email login.

I'd like to send them a Query, but I generally like to do a little browsing on an actual agency website before I send something off into the void.

practical experience, FTW JoyMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Two Princesses View Post
    Do they have a real website? I attempted to go to the link they have listed on Publisher's Marketplace here but it seems to go somewhere kinda funky... with like an email login.

I'd like to send them a Query, but I generally like to do a little browsing on an actual agency website before I send something off into the void.
    Since they're all super established agents who were all with Nancy Coffey before and other places before that, you should just google the agent/s you're interested in and you will get a TON of articles, interviews, blog posts, etc. They all have really solid web presences. The website is under construction, but believe there's a blog. Can't seem to find it when I google, but I have seen it ...
    BLOOD WATER PAINT, spring 2018, Dutton Young Readers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast