• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tanglewood Publishing

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.tanglewoodbooks.com/index.html

I was looking for info on them, but it doesn't seem they have a thread here.

P&E says "Tanglewood Press: A publishing company with books that are mostly for kids."

Anyone have info beyond that? I can see from their website they have a fair number of decent titles, good cover art, and they seem like proper, upstanding citizens of the publishing world. Opinions?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of them, but apparently they published Ashfall, which has gotten outstanding reviews. I'm looking at their books and I have to read this Surviving the Angel of Death. They look very legit.

I guess it's a good thing when you're finding yourself longing to read the books on a publisher's website, instead of being alerted by a million red flags!

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I've read a few of their books, and loved them. Surviving The Angel of Death is a very intense, heartbreaking book. I was glad I could read and review it. It's definitely worth reading.

I submitted to them for a picture book. I didn't hear anything back yet, but it's only been about two weeks. I'm impatient though. :) Not sure if they send rejections or not, but I hope they do. I like closure, even when they're not interested it's good to know, so I don't have to worry about my mail arriving or not.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
They are very slow to respond -- I think it takes 7-10 months, but they do answer.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
There are only three recorded responses on QueryTracker.

1 request at 22 days
2 rejections, 1 at 34 days, 1 at 120 days.

Pretty quick if you ask me!

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I read Ashfall and it was excellent, well edited with great cover art. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel.

My notes from an article I read on them indicate they were established in 2004 and started publishing YA in 2011 with 1 book, following in 2012 with 3 books. They're always looking for something different from the hot trends.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
In the 2010-11 SCBWI small press market survey, it indicates their method of payment as "royalties," which leads me to believe they don't pay an advance--unless things have changed. There's no mention of distribution.

Here's an interview with the founder:
http://cynthialeitichsmith.blogspot.com/2011/11/publisher-interview-peggy-tierney-of.html

Thanks for the link, Erin. Yep, they look advanceless and carry no distribution, from what I can see. Nice books, though. And the owner has an editing background.

tri

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Just an FYI for future readers of the thread...I emailed today asking what their word count guidelines are, since I'm on the lookout for small houses that might consider my ~21k word YA contemporary novella. Peggy Tierney got back to me within an hour or so and said that since it is YA, she would consider it a short novel, and that it would be fine to submit as such :)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if they do not pay advances. I don't know what distribution they have, but I got Ashfall out of my library, so they do market to libraries. They've moved to e-subs since I last queried them, and now they are responding in 3-4 months, which is faster than their old snail subs.

One very prominent book they publish is the reprint of THE KISSING HAND, which is a classic/perennial picture book that I'm sure has sold a lot of copies. It's widely used for the start of school for pre-k and kindergarten. I've not read the book, but my second grade daughter often has me kiss her palm at bedtime because of this book.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't find it, so I'll ask: does anyone know how many sample chapters they're looking for?

ETA: Hey, found it in the 2012 Writer's Market online. 3-5 sample chapters, it says.

Last edited:

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't find it, so I'll ask: does anyone know how many sample chapters they're looking for?

ETA: Hey, found it in the 2012 Writer's Market online. 3-5 sample chapters, it says.

Thanks for posting that! I queried them today and sent three chapters, but I wasn't sure if that was what they wanted. I also pasted the chapters below my query letter rather than attaching them. I hope they don't mind.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them in April and got my rejection in July, so about three months say. It was a form rejection, but at least they responded, which was good.

aokva

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query/PB ms to them via email to Kairi Hamlin and heard back within the week. It was a rejection, but I couldn't believe how fast I heard back.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them in July and have heard nothing. No response means no, I guess. :/

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed in July too and haven't heard. It's only been three months. Book publishers can be slower than Christmas, so don't give up hope yet. Maybe we're both under serious consideration!

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got a response today-Form reject. Oh well. At least it's a response!