SBPRA, and Other New Names for Robert Fletcher and Strategic

JE9Lizle

Registered
Reaction score
Just got an email from a Tom Wallace to send a sample of my manuscript *sigh* (like I was going to do that) Google searched his name with Absolute Write in the box & boom, here I am. So not interested but had to check in case one of my writer buddies asks me about him.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Would you be willing to forward that email to me (Writer Beware)? "Tom Wallace" is an alias of SBPRA's owner, Robert Fletcher, and as part of the settlement SBPRA just signed, they're supposed to stop using aliases, or to disclose that the name is an alias. Please email me at beware [at] sfwa.org. All information shared with Writer Beware is held in confidence.

- Victoria

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria, I've just heard from a writer who received an email from SBPRA signed by 'TomW'. I've asked her to send it on to you.

doweykoa

Registered
Reaction score
Tom just emailed me with what looks like the same drivel others have reported in the past. I'll save the email if there is any interest Victoria.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
On another social media group a new writer posted a letter he had just found in his junk folder (how very appropriate:) It was from "Tom" (no last name, not even the "W") the "Acquisitions team leader", and it spewed the same ol drivel about Commercial/Trade publishing. It's started with ...

Dear Author, >Publishing has changed for 'unknown' authors trying to build a reputation in the publishing industry. Today, we find no ‘traditional publisher’ who will even agree to look at your work.<
...and it just goes down hill from there. I of course told him to put it back into the junk folder and then delete. I'm sure that's the same one every yet to be published writer or every indie writer is getting.

Reaction score
Website
adarkresurrection.blogspot.com
Whatver happened to creepy Robert Fletcher?

Just wondering, he fleeced me out of $300 around fourteen years ago thanks to my own stupidity. Is he in the clink? Or dead? If ambulatory and free, is he still trying to con people?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Oh, my giddy aunt. He really does hate honest work.

I looked up things, the tree house is real, but there is nothing to indicate he has any connection to it.

Is that his real face? I always thought he would look like Steve Bannon after a month long bender.

Last edited:

Feriku

Registered
Reaction score
I got an email today from Tom Wallace from SBPRA asking for a sample of my work "based on a query from you we received a while back." It also claims this is a follow-up to a previous invitation. I'm certain I never interacted with them before.