kress_explorers_door_in_the_alley

The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SBPRA, and Other New Names for Robert Fletcher and Strategic

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JE9Lizle's Avatar
    Just got an email from a Tom Wallace to send a sample of my manuscript *sigh* (like I was going to do that) Google searched his name with Absolute Write in the box & boom, here I am. So not interested but had to check in case one of my writer buddies asks me about him.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Would you be willing to forward that email to me (Writer Beware)? "Tom Wallace" is an alias of SBPRA's owner, Robert Fletcher, and as part of the settlement SBPRA just signed, they're supposed to stop using aliases, or to disclose that the name is an alias. Please email me at beware [at] sfwa.org. All information shared with Writer Beware is held in confidence.

- Victoria

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Victoria, I've just heard from a writer who received an email from SBPRA signed by 'TomW'. I've asked her to send it on to you.
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Thanks! She did get in touch.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Tom just emailed me with what looks like the same drivel others have reported in the past. I'll save the email if there is any interest Victoria.

On another social media group a new writer posted a letter he had just found in his junk folder (how very appropriate It was from "Tom" (no last name, not even the "W") the "Acquisitions team leader", and it spewed the same ol drivel about Commercial/Trade publishing. It's started with ...

Dear Author, >Publishing has changed for 'unknown' authors trying to build a reputation in the publishing industry. Today, we find no ‘traditional publisher’ who will even agree to look at your work.<
    ...and it just goes down hill from there. I of course told him to put it back into the junk folder and then delete. I'm sure that's the same one every yet to be published writer or every indie writer is getting.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctripp View Post
    Today, we find no ‘traditional publisher’ who will even agree to look at your work.
    Didn't look very hard, did ya, "Tom."

banned as an incurable tosspot

Whatver happened to creepy Robert Fletcher?

Just wondering, he fleeced me out of $300 around fourteen years ago thanks to my own stupidity. Is he in the clink? Or dead? If ambulatory and free, is he still trying to con people?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    He ran into legal problems a bit ago. Since then he's apparently been keeping a low profile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12