• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Edit/critique] Dr. Debra Doyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickman

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am posting to recommend the services of Dr Debra Doyle. I am in the UK, (Scotland), and although there are several excellent critique and editing services in England, they are quite expensive, (‘Cornerstones’ for example; wonderful, but lowest tier of access works out at £180 -200, which is beyond my means at present). Dr Doyle offers a concept critique and line-edit for $100, (£65). I hoped to gain insights that I could extrapolate to my whole manuscript. I was a little worried that my very ‘British’ style would not be well received by an American editor, but I should not have been; Dr Doyle’s expertise is beyond such considerations. The line-edit and critique I received, within one week of submission, was excellent; insightful, thorough, thoughtful and very honest. I can heartily endorse her services, and I hope that others will benefit from her advice. I feel that she is offering a service that fills a gap in the editorial service industry. Thank you, Debra, for your very useful feedback! (I should add that my comments here are entirely impartial. I had no former knowledge of Dr Doyle at all, before following the link to her site that I found on these boards.)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're delighted to learn Dr. Doyle has been so very helpful to the improvement of your writing, Nickman. Thank you for sharing the recommendation.

Maryn, pleased to hear it

Nickman

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Medievalist!

Thanks for all replies. I am glad that my sincere comments are not interpreted as some kind of advertising ... utterly genuine here, guys! Thanks to Medievalist for adding the link I omitted ... new to this, and it didn't occur to me ... Duh! Really, do check out Dr Debra, she's great. (A little worried my well intentioned endorsement might see her swamped, though.)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
(A little worried my well intentioned endorsement might see her swamped, though.)

I wouldn't worry too much about that. 1) She probably wouldn't complain about being a little swamped, and 2) her partner is AW's own Uncle Jim, who, among other things, is a moderator of this very subforum. IOW, she's pretty well known in these parts already. :)

Nickman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Terie

Gosh, I feel all silly and patronising now! (Blush) Everyone knew already. Never mind, that's cool. I'll content myself with posting about 'my find' on UK sites, LOL.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
No, don't feel that way, Nickman. "Everyone" doesn't necessarily know; AW is a huge board. And, it's beneficial knowing someone has had a good experience with an editor or a publisher, etc.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I feel all silly and patronising now! (Blush) Everyone knew already. Never mind, that's cool. I'll content myself with posting about 'my find' on UK sites, LOL.

I didn't know. It's not just you. It's you and me both. Plus some other guys. :Sun:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

No, don't feel that way, Nickman. "Everyone" doesn't necessarily know; AW is a huge board. And, it's beneficial knowing someone has had a good experience with an editor or a publisher, etc.

Absloutely! I didn't mean to make you feel bad or embarrassed, Nickman. :Hug2: There's nothing wrong whatsoever about starting this thread.

Nickman

Registered
Reaction score
Cheers (slainte) Ari! Best Regards to all. This is a great site!!:)

Nickman

Registered
Reaction score
Terie, I know you didn't mean it that way. Waving at you from Langholm! How's the weather in Manchester? We've got sun!! (Number 1 thing you don't get to say very often in Langholm!)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Terie, I know you didn't mean it that way. Waving at you from Langholm! How's the weather in Manchester? We've got sun!! (Number 1 thing you don't get to say very often in Langholm!)

We had a sunny day today, but (gasp! shock! unbelievable!) rain looks like it's on its way tonight. :D

Nickman

Registered
Reaction score
Rain??? Rain? What's that? (Us Brits, eh? Here we go, weather ... but if people lived here, they'd understand our preoccupation.) Oh, to live in Florida! Yeah, ... when my books sells (and hell freezes over!) LOL

Deleted member 42

No, you absolutely did the right thing.

Really, truly.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only worked with Dr Doyle at Viable Paradise, but...yeah, she's utterly awesome. Once you get past being intimidated by how frighteningly smart she is, you realise she's really easy to talk to, and holy cow, what she doesn't know about writing ain't worth knowing.

Now if only I could finish a story, so I could get it edited.....

Nickman

Registered
Reaction score
@Unimportant, (which you are not ...), do we ever 'finish' a story? Sending my scribbles to Dr Doyle, and her response, gave me confidence to pick it up and work, work, work! (You don't have to be 'finished', she's happy to look at work in progress and head you on the right path). What I particularly liked about her appraisal was the way she cut straight to the very essence of my story, which concerns a very Scottish theme, and she's not even a Scot. Very learned all round, I'd say!

Last edited:

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
If I ever have a manuscript that needs a polish and a spare wad of cash I shall definitely consider her to be my first port of call...

Now, if she could perform some magic that would allow me to finish the manuscript I am currently working on I'd be even happier :)

Seriously, from the quality of her and James' joint novel I reviewed a while back I reckon any novel is in safe hands here...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your personal experiences, Nickman. One of the things that has always impressed me about Ms. Doyle's work is its clarity and polished style, which makes it unsurprising to me that she would also be a fine editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.