• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Query service] Querylyzer

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I'm curious which agent you signed with, using this method.

I'd also want to know what kind of records you provide to your clients, to ensure that the services they pay for are the services you actually deliver. (Note: this is confirmation I would want from any service provider, and is not a comment on your honesty.)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
From a usability, cost/benefit standpoint:

I glanced at the site. It seems to me that you certainly can customize queries by sending out different batches of them. E.g. some might say "I'm contacting you because you say on your website that you're interested in Young Adult Thrillers" (probably applies to at least 50 agents) while others wouldn't. You could also customize all the one-offs you please. The site would also let you choose exactly which agents you want to send which queries to, after you've done careful research and whittling-down. I haven't created an account there, so I don't know whether you can see all your batches of customized queries at a glance or whether you'd have to do some cumbersome reload for each one and you'd only be able to view the one at a time.

Sooooo, I'm afraid what that adds up to is not much different from my tried-and-true Outlook system where I had all my Queries customized as much as I pleased in a "Queries" folder and Calendar alarms set to go off on the four-week, six-week, whatever deadlines that agents called a No Response Means No. You could also use Excel to track which agents you've excluded and which ones you're still considering -- or use QueryTracker's premium service, which I did.

In principle I don't think it's a bad thing: a single site to organize your querying. But for me, there's not enough improvement over what I got from my existing tools, which cost me nothing to use.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Just to point out, query letters aren't supposed to have the agent's contact info at the top. It's not a deal breaker, but it's annoying. Query Shark has ranted about it multiple times.

...not make buddy-buddy with literary agents who could care less about you.

If you don't think literary agents care about their clients, you are highly misinformed.

On trunked novels, I don't put a manuscript away without good reason. If it's trunked, it's usually because I've found a fatal flaw that it's not worth tearing the whole manuscript apart to fix. In other words, it's not something I want to query, because I know I can produce better.

My end goal is a career in writing, not a single publication. Which means not only am I going to work my butt off to produce the highest quality book I can, it also means I'm not going to run around burning bridges when I don't need to. I'm also looking for an agent that I really work well with, not just the first bona fide agent who says yes. I plan to stick with this business for the long term.

You keep quoting the 3-5% request rate. Was that the average of all your beta testers or did each of you write a query for each of your novels that managed to get about the same request rate?

If you're going to use the fact that you've got an agent as proof that your system works, I'd like to know the agent's name. I know it seems nosy, but we know nothing about the agent you signed with, since he/she was off your list of P&E recommendations. Would you mind sharing who it is?

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I don't have time for a line-by-line, but a couple of thoughts:

1) You say you got a 3~5% request rate. There are a couple of problems with this. One is that we often hear that to find an agent, an author should shoot for a 10% request rate at minimum. That was about what I had before I signed (maybe 15%). I feel like if this is to be attempted, there needs to be a control group: You submit to 100 publishers the old fashioned way, and 100 publishers through this service with the same query letter, and then see what the request rate is.

If the request rate is only 3%, that probably isn't enough to get an agent. Also, is that request rate higher or lower than it would have been going through this the hard way? That's really important to know, especially considering the other things I'm going to mention below.

Also, you imply that every query will gain this rate, when really it will depend on the letter. A crappy letter might get 0 responses, whereas a stellar one might get dozens...which could lead to huge problems, again to be detailed below.

2) How do you avoid sending to more than one agent at the same agency? I mentioned this before, but I didn't see that you answered this one. Lets say you are one of the ones with a great query that gets you a 35% (or more, it's happened) request rate. If you have sent that willy-nilly to agents, there is a very good chance more than one agent at an agency might be interested. Let's say you're talking about someone like Writers House with a lot of agents. You could end up with three requests from the same agency easily. That is NOT a good thing. And I can't imagine "well, I sent it via a service that just spammed everyone" being a good excuse to get out of this one.

For those who aren't aware, the reason you don't send to agents at the same agency is because if both of them want to offer representation, it causes conflict. It's a general courtesy, and if you have two agents both offering, it is entirely possible to have them both say no. I've seen this mentioned by numerous agents.

3) Submission guidelines matter! This goes back to request rate. I've seen plenty of agents say that it irks them when submission guidelines aren't followed. Now, if you have something super awesome and stellar, maybe they'll request anyway, but let's say they're on the fence. You've sent something that they think sounds okay, but when they check instead of a synopsis and two chapters, you've sent five pages. Now they're annoyed. You've just proven yourself to be an author who can't follow the rules. Maybe they decide to be forgiving and request anyway--or maybe they just give you a rejection because you couldn't get it right.

This isn't just people being annoyed for no reason. Being an author means having to follow lots of rules. You'll be expected to make edits and revisions and get things back by certain times. If you aren't someone who follows rules easily, that marks you as someone who might be difficult to work with.

4) Relationships matter! This is all about relationships. Yes, maybe it doesn't matter on the rejection side, but what about those people who don't reject? You're suggesting people give up all relationships with agents in order to gain one, even the ones with their potential agents?

5) You can still do this on your own! The only difference is that it takes longer--and again, that might not be a bad thing. And God forbid you have to actually keep a spreadsheet and monitory what people want and who you sent to and what the responses were.

You're saying this as if it's all or nothing. Do a lot of people give up too soon? Yeah. But a lot of people also give up because they've exhausted their options, or because the feedback hasn't been great, or they realize the book isn't there yet.

The fact of the matter is there is nothing to stop an author from researching hundreds of agents (I sent to about 250 both times, based on those who represented my genre, and I did all of this on my own each time). The only difference is that my way might take four months or six months or a year, but yours might take a week. And in my year, I've written another book so when I do give up, I have something else to fall back on.

Wait. There's another difference. Doing it my way means that you are being more professional and following submission guidelines and making sure that you aren't doing anything extra that might piss off an agent and turn a maybe into a no. Think about it. You're saying 3~5%, but let's say that I use your service. Maybe one of the agents I'm sending to is one who would have said yes, but because it didn't follow her submission guidelines, she says no. I've just lost my chance with my future agent! Over something STUPID. Writers: Don't do stupid things that hurt your chances. Let the only thing they can turn you down on be the query or the manuscript.

6) I forgot one. Personalization: Do not just randomly say that you like an agent because they represent whatever random title you throw in there. This is such a big deal. I've seen this mentioned by several agents before, too, Janet Reid being one of the most vocal. Only make comparisons if they're legit. If you make comparisons and it's clear that you haven't read the books and they're nothing like yours, you've just made yourself look like an idiot who is trying to game the system.

If you can't make comparisons (I very rarely did), then leave them out. You don't always have to have them, and false personalization is worse than none. Only personalize when you can honestly, really mean it.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
From a usability, cost/benefit standpoint:

I glanced at the site. It seems to me that you certainly can customize queries by sending out different batches of them. E.g. some might say "I'm contacting you because you say on your website that you're interested in Young Adult Thrillers" (probably applies to at least 50 agents) while others wouldn't. You could also customize all the one-offs you please. The site would also let you choose exactly which agents you want to send which queries to, after you've done careful research and whittling-down. I haven't created an account there, so I don't know whether you can see all your batches of customized queries at a glance or whether you'd have to do some cumbersome reload for each one and you'd only be able to view the one at a time.

Sooooo, I'm afraid what that adds up to is not much different from my tried-and-true Outlook system where I had all my Queries customized as much as I pleased in a "Queries" folder and Calendar alarms set to go off on the four-week, six-week, whatever deadlines that agents called a No Response Means No. You could also use Excel to track which agents you've excluded and which ones you're still considering -- or use QueryTracker's premium service, which I did.

In principle I don't think it's a bad thing: a single site to organize your querying. But for me, there's not enough improvement over what I got from my existing tools, which cost me nothing to use.

If you just want a site to help you organize, use Query Tracker, IMO.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Exactly.Query Tracker gives you all this information for FREE and without potentially pissing off whatever agents you are interested in right from the get go.

If you're not going to make the effort for due diligence in finding representation for your work, then you're in the wrong business. As someone who reads hundreds of queries each week, I can guarantee you what will happen to queries from a service like the one described in this thread. Your query will hit the recycle bin without even being opened. The queries that I actually LOOK at are the ones where the author has a kick-ass query letter, references some research they've done into the company, and who, through the tone of their query, demonstrate both knowledge of and interest in my company. That's it--and I'm not any different from the agents in New York.

Besides--this site relies upon the research done by OTHER sites and CHARGES users to spam agents with query emails by using the old 'throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks" method. Why pay fifteen cents a pop to get the same information that you get on P&E for free? Or Query Tracker? Or Absolute Write when you get right down to it.

I wouldn't trust my writing career to this service any more than I'd trust my books to a vanity press. Seems to me that the moment of "Oh crap, why did I do this?" would be just as bad in the end. For the first, you send out hundreds of cookie cutter queries with no response; for the other, you have over-priced trade paperbacks listed on the web with no sales.

What really makes me sad is that regardless of what we're saying here, there are so many inexperienced writers out there who are going to think this is a GREAT service and then lose not only a chunk of change but opportunities to find representation for real. And that just burns my oats.

Just my two...no, FIVE...cents.
Just sayin'.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Gone by Feb '13, looks like.