Self-promotion, not for wimps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Author, Ray Dolin, allegedly shot himself as a way to promote his book. I can't help but to think it worked, since before I read this article, I'd never heard of him. I'm not sure what to really say about this guy.

The Associated Press has a shocking new report that Dolin actually shot himself: “Authorities believe Dolin, who is recovering at a Miles City hospital, shot himself as a desperate act of self-promotion but offered no further details. The case remains under investigation, and charges against Dolin are possible.”

Note: Still not sure where to post threads like this, so if Roundtable isn't the right place, feel free to move :)

Last edited:

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I fixed the link! Just noticed I formatted it wrong.

I find it humorous his book is titled, "Kindness of America."

MelodySRV

Registered
Reaction score
Authors and artists are somewhat desperate these days. However, this seems like an act of shameless self promotion gone wrong.

Me thinks most shameless self promotion should be shameful. Ah well.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
It says there can be charges brought against him.. but how does one charge that exactly? Suicide gone awry? Shameless self promotion at the risk of life? I don't know that anything exists like that in the law?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
imo, you should always wait to shoot yourself to promote your book until you have an agent and a publishing deal. Shooting yourself on spec is a bad idea.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It says there can be charges brought against him.. but how does one charge that exactly? Suicide gone awry? Shameless self promotion at the risk of life? I don't know that anything exists like that in the law?

I'd assume he'd get into trouble for first stating he was shot. The police must've been called and did an investigation.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Making a false report to police is a crime.

Shooting yourself on purpose but not dying of it? I'm really not sure about that one.

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't a woman in Florida recently sentenced to 20 years in prison for shooting a wall in her house? She did it in order to scare off her husbandwho she said was threatening her, but didn't actually shoot anybody.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine the charges would along the lines of those against people who jump off buildings with [gliders? - not sure of the term] or other such nuisance stunts. It costs time and money for the authorities, not to mention taking them away from 'real' responsibilities.

Pippi

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't a woman in Florida recently sentenced to 20 years in prison for shooting a wall in her house? She did it in order to scare off her husbandwho she said was threatening her, but didn't actually shoot anybody.

The wall was just an innocent bystander.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

In my state, he could be charged with reckless discharge of a firearm causing bodily injury. That's a class c felony here. If you shoot yourself in a true accident, that's one thing, but doing so deliberately for promotion, or any other reason, has legal complications.

He could also either be charged for intentionally causing an incident that his insurance must pay for, or be denied insurance, if he has any, and have to pay all charges relating to the police investigation and the medical treatment.

This was not a smart idea, even if he does sell books because of it.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
imo, you should always wait to shoot yourself to promote your book until you have an agent and a publishing deal. Shooting yourself on spec is a bad idea.

Inappropriately laughing my ass off at this. :D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Getting an honorable mention in the Darwin awards is not the same as getting a literary award, no matter what some think.

And, as seen, there are often legal problems when people do dumb shit. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by shooting yourself in the foot.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What the...

I wonder how he got from ' I want people to buy my book' to 'Hey, I'll shoot myself!'

Lol!

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I believe he accidentally shot himself while setting up camp and then *after the fact* decided to make it sound like someone else had shot him to gain some news coverage about the impending book. Then, when they actually arrested some poor guy, he was forced to come clean and admit that he'd shot himself.

The worst part is, given the name of his book... claiming a complete stranger shot you for no reason would be BAD for the project.

I just hate that he's claiming WV as his home state. It would be nice if it came out that some other state has to claim this turd-blossom instead.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
The word "allegedly" appears in the statement, perhaps meaning that this is a guess by local authorities.

Remember, this is a part of America with tight social structures. An outsider that comes to town and gets shot by a local might have good reason not to expect justice.

The official allegation has too many holes in it to be taken at face value.

Status
Not open for further replies.