How do you stay out of the spam filter?

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Almost a year ago I sent out about 20 queries and never heard back from most, some of which say they always respond. I've done some serious revisions since so I will requery those who didn't respond and should have but I'm thinking my queries may have been heading to spam filters.

The biggest reason I think this is that I entered a blog contest in which you email a submission as well as posting on the blog and I KNOW it went into their spam (I didn't get an automated response and asked. They told me they found it in the spam).

So I am wondering if anyone has some advice, or knowledge they'd be willing to share about this. Are certain email providers better than others (I was using AOL) or is there a setting that may flag you, or other random things.

Anything would be helpful. I don't want to sit here and worry and wonder. Thanks!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
The word "Query" in the subject line is the best way of avoiding it. I use Hotmail (Windows Live) and it's never happened to me.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with gmail, too.

But the sad fact of life is that a lot of agents don't respond at all any more, even if they say they do. Keep querying!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Chances are your queries were read and rejected. Many, many agents do not respond unless they're interested.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere recently that if you also include your title in the subject line, and your title has certain words in it, it might get caught by spam filters. Does anyone have any experience with that?

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I think the title thing has some merit. I queried an agent a long time ago with an old project and heard back with a reject a few days later. A year later I queried with another project. I heard nothing back. She tweeted that she was caught up on queries and that if you did not get a response, re query. I did and got no response again. This was with a gmail account and yes, query was in the subject. I queried again from a different gmail account to no response then again from a hotmail account still with no response. Every time I wanted until she tweeted that she was caught up on queries and we should re query if there was no response and I always said that I was re querying based on her tweets. Somehow, something is making my email not get through. I don't see how or why, but I can tell you it does happen though how often is anyone's guess.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I'd say about 1 in every 100 queries I get sent ends up in the spam filter. No clue why - they are never suspicious looking to ME, but my email flags them for some reason (very possibly because they come from an account or IP that has been hacked / sent spam in the past.) These are generally yahoo and aol addresses. I have never noticed one from gmail (but then again, I am sure I don't catch all of them.)

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jennifer!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is a good idea to have avoid using your querying email for any activities that can get spam-flagged, like sending out a newsletter.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I know a lot of agents don't respond to queries, but a few of the ones I didn't hear from specifically say they always respond. I only have two I plan to requery. It's more the fact that I am now paranoid my queries aren't making it through.

So, I have ditched my Aol account (which btw I opened just for queries and never used for anything but) and opened a gmail. I did have some formatting issues (converting to plain text made it send funny and copy and pasting often added extra spaces. but I got it right eventually) but hopefully it will work well, and ya know, make me feel better:)

WhatTheWhat

PRing my little heart out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jaynedenker.com
Never use automated signatures or include live links to your Web site or blog or whatever. Both of these things can be considered spamworthy by over-vigilant filters. Having the word "query" in the subject line helps. So does sending the e-mail to one agent at a time instead of in batches.

Other than that, you're really at the filters' mercy. There are a lot of really amateur ones out there (sorry, agents!) that are...overzealous, shall we say. They need to be set up better. But no matter how careful you are on your end, you could still end up vaporized.

I have a gmail account solely for querying, and many, MANY of my queries got snagged by agents' spam filters. Heck, I even almost lost out on a partial submission because the agent's filter snagged his OUTgoing mail! What the heck!

I have found that polite "checking in" type e-mails, to make sure the initial query got through, don't usually piss off agents. Some were very grateful that I followed up, and I got several partial and full requests from them. So sometimes radio silence isn't an implied no--but you have to check the agent's track record to see where they fall on the "no reply" scale.

stargazer11

Registered
Reaction score
I worry about the spam filter too. But what I try to do is snail mail with a SASE envelope. Receiving a responce, even if it is a reject, is probably quicker than waiting for a reply in the email.