How many characters?

Squirrel on a Ledge

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how many full-developed characters you use in each novel.

Weird question, I know, but in my WIP I've fallen into having just two characters for 95% of the story. It's starting to feel kind of claustrophobic. Is it bad to add characters in just flashbacks?

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from the school of thought that I don't believe the number of characters matters so long as the story is well-written...

In my current novel, there is one main protagonist, and the story is told from her POV, but there are a LOT of secondary characters. Too many for me to list, honestly LOL

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
I have three "main characters" but I have six "major characters" that are in most of the story as well. I also have many minor characters --- I classify "minor" as "This character's last name is never mentioned."

Sometimes I feel like I have too many major/main characters, but to hell with it as long as I write well. :)

-t.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Depends. How many do you need to tell the story? Stephen King and GRR Martin get away with a whole bunch of side characters, main characters, and narrators. Yet, Kevin Canty and Lauren Strasnick only have a few characters -- two mains and a handful of side characters.

Random examples, I know. As for flashbacks, well, go for it if they're well done. I'm a fan of the flashback provided they don't seem like random additions.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Enough characters that you have a full story, but not so many that it's confusing. Each character should be distinct and play a part in the plot. I have eight or so real characters, and then a handful of bit players.

CJ Knightrey

She Who Constantly Changes Avatars
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have too many :p I have 14 characters in total, 3 of those are main characters, 5 major characters and 6 minor characters.

Kalea

volcanoes melt you down
Registered
Reaction score
In my current WIP, by the end of the book, will have 3 main characters, another four major characters (including the antagonist), and a handful of minors.

totopink

Registered
Reaction score
My average is usually 4 major characters plus the protagonist. The more intense the plot line, the less characters I will use.

WalpurgisQuill

Registered
Reaction score
I would think that the answer to this question would largely depend on the story. For some stories, I have five, some two, it all just depends.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Nice question! Quick rundown of characters in my WIPs, and you'll see the number changes quite often!

The Sleeping Kingdom has one main character (story told from her POV), and three other major characters. Sometimes I feel like they don't have enough screentime, but I had to get everything in under 80k. They'll get their spotlight later. This book has a large number of minor characters though. I won't bothering counting them, but at the top of my head I'd say seven or eight. Then there's also the antagonist.

Fractured, my debut novel, has one main character, an antagonist, three other major characters and about five minor characters.

Reflected, the sequel to Fractured has a lot more characters, but this tends to be normal for sequels. It has three main characters, two antagonist characters, two major characters and about five minor characters. The big change here is switching POV to three main characters.

Ghostslayer has limited characters. There's a main character and one major character, then another character who gets a bigger role toward the end. I understand your point about this feeling claustrophobic, but that's kind of the vibe I want to give with my novel anyway, so I think it's appropriate. There are a number of minor characters as well though.

Soul Thief, my last WIP has one main character, one antagonist, one major characters and a small cast of minor ones.

It varies a lot depending on what the WIP needs. Some stories are mostly plot driven or rely heavily on the main character, others need a fully-developed supportive cast. I say there's no such thing as too many characters, or not enough characters. It depends on what your work needs.

rainbowsandunicorns

It's real for us
Registered
Reaction score
I have:
3 MC- one of them is only seen in flashbacks
2 Major
3 Minor
beyond that it is random bit characters

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
In my first series, I had four main characters (five if you include the antagonist), a few major characters, and then quite a few minor characters, some of whom got no names.

Sol Quince

Don't mind me.
Registered
Reaction score
Usually to much characters makes it hard to learn about them..idk just my opinion..

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Unless your name is George R.R. Martin, of course :p

I think it also depends on if the book is a stand alone or a series. In a series, I feel like the number of characters should expand with every book, or at least be sufficient to provide enough entertainment. I can't imagine a series based on only four characters or something, except then in MG and children's books. And in a series, you get to know more about the characters and the story progresses.

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
I liked War and Peace.
I never lost track of who was who or had to make notes or look anyone up or anything. And I was constantly impressed with how every chapter was actually part of the plot and moved things along.

Well, except for the epilogue. -_-

But really, all that matters is that the story *works*.

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
I have one MC (pretty much the only viewpoint character), two developed friends, and her boyfriend and one of her friends boyfriends. She has a big sister-esque mentor, a scowling dark mysterious powerful man (there can't really be a YA UF without one), her dad, and two real antagonists.

I think I can handle them all - as a limit, I try to only have three developed characters tops in a scene. I also try to only introduce one developed character per chapter, or scene; hopefully, this will allow me to show stronger bonds/not overwhelm the reader.

DrunkenLilacs

Growing tipsier as we speak
Registered
Reaction score
All my characters, even the secondary ones, have to contribute somehow to the theme/plot/character development of the story or MC. Otherwise, in my opinion, too many characters can get confusing or unnecessary. Even if they're really important, it distracts me from the MC or the main plot. An example of this happening is in Michael Grant's GONE series. He introduces so many full characters every book that it just becomes a chore to read every single page.

I know I'm speaking in movie terms, but I think it's the best way to categorize these characters. Currently, in my WIP, I have two lead roles, five supporting roles, and a few extras, only one of which, I named. Too many extras with details can create a distraction.

But I agree with everyone. It depends on your story and if it works :D