Help me to not nudge

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
Ideally by coming round here and tying my hands behind my back, if it's not too much trouble.

My full MS has been with an agent for three weeks. I KNOW that this is not long, I KNOW that agents are busy people, I KNOW that nothing good will come of nudging, so why do I want to nudge? Why?

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY MY ANUS IS BLEEDING DON'T DO IT

(Was that persuasive enough? Should I have added more exclamation points...?)

It's normal to be impatient. :D That's why. But, you should follow your smarter instincts...give it time...and find things to take your mind off it. A next book, perhaps. A short story. Scattergories. Mad Libs. Vandalizing a public restroom. I especially encourage the latter--most graffiti I've seen in public restrooms, since high school, has been completely boring and unintelligent. As soon as I am unemployed, I'll be questing to change this myself. (The high school bathroom was of some quality, though not brilliant. One poem I used to read has stuck with me: "Here I sit, broken hearted/I tried to shit, but only farted". In beautiful callligraphy, too.)

Joyous

Registered
Reaction score
Ideally by coming round here and tying my hands behind my back, if it's not too much trouble.

My full MS has been with an agent for three weeks. I KNOW that this is not long, I KNOW that agents are busy people, I KNOW that nothing good will come of nudging, so why do I want to nudge? Why?

Because you are perfectly normal! I can empathize. I have a full ms now being read by 4 agents and being queried about. (Yes, they all know it's a multiple submission. Mine always are.) Everyone feels the same way you do.

Alas, I've learned not to nudge. They may be busy with current deals and contracts and haven't even opened/read an ms. yet. They may be halfway full and debating. The only time they want to hear from you first is if it's a multiple submission and you get an offer from another agent reading it at the same time. Then it's a courtesy to email them (or whatever their preferred notification route is.)

Please know that you are not alone. I wish you all the best. Wish me luck too! I know how it feels to be on tippy toes waiting to hear back.
Best wishes,:Hug2:
Joyous

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Joyous!

Thank you for the sage words. I shall go and seek out 1. a stationery shop that stocks a good range of spray paint and permanent markers, and 2. a public convenience.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
First, congratulations!

Next, go write something else and do your very best to forget about it for a while. :)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
sophie, DON'T DO IT.

Today, and for the next infinity days, spend the time you would usually spend working on your manuscript on your next project -- whether you

1. actually start an outline
  2. develop an idea you've toyed with for a while
  3. doodle for hours in search of an idea
  4. read for pleasure to imagine what you might like to write
  5. see a movie for the same purpose
  6. read book reviews in your genre
  7. wander through a bookstore and browse covers
Start obsessing slavishly and compulsively on something else! It's healthy for you.

rac

Registered
Reaction score
Sophie, You've gotten the best advice you could possibly get. Keep it like you would a treasure.
GOOD LUCK!

Jessica_312

Registered
Reaction score
I'm the same way. No agents have requested my manuscript yet (hoping that changes soon!) but I'm just SO impatient with waiting for responses on queries. I've been keeping myself busy by going on a reading binge. I literally just read three novels in three days. Now I'm back on a writing binge.

Just doing my best to keep my mind off of it LOL

SophieM2401

Registered
Reaction score
You're all fab - thanks! <sits on hands> Hope The Email comes soon for all who are waiting for it...