AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Thread: [Publisher] Month9Books

Thanks for that link curious.
    Oh my Lord.
    "Gersh" is a decent Agency, I don't understand why they (the Agent) would make such a deal with this publisher?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Lawsuit in the works

This became public knowledge and is working its way around Facebook and Twitter, so I'm sharing it here. There is a lawsuit against Month9Books:

Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki, authors of Branded and Hunted in the Sinners book series published by Georgia McBride and Month9Books, have filed a lawsuit against Ms. McBride and Month9Books. The lawsuit was filed on October 27, 2016 in Raleigh, North Carolina, in the Wake County Superior Court. As alleged in the complaint, the authorsí publishing agreement has terminated due to Month9ís breach of the agreement, including Month9ís failure to deliver timely royalty statements and to pay royalties due to the authors. Among other matters, the complaint requests the court to declare that all rights in the Sinners series previously granted to Month9Books have reverted back to the authors. Ms. Ketner and Ms. Kalicicki are deeply disappointed that litigation has become necessary, but it has become apparent that they had no other recourse but to protect their legal rights. The authors look forward to the resolution of this matter so that they can continue to publish the Sinners series, including the forthcoming books in the series.

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon AuburnAssassin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerslife View Post
    This became public knowledge and is working its way around Facebook and Twitter, so I'm sharing it here. There is a lawsuit against Month9Books:

Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki, authors of Branded and Hunted in the Sinners book series published by Georgia McBride and Month9Books, have filed a lawsuit against Ms. McBride and Month9Books. The lawsuit was filed on October 27, 2016 in Raleigh, North Carolina, in the Wake County Superior Court. As alleged in the complaint, the authors’ publishing agreement has terminated due to Month9’s breach of the agreement, including Month9’s failure to deliver timely royalty statements and to pay royalties due to the authors. Among other matters, the complaint requests the court to declare that all rights in the Sinners series previously granted to Month9Books have reverted back to the authors. Ms. Ketner and Ms. Kalicicki are deeply disappointed that litigation has become necessary, but it has become apparent that they had no other recourse but to protect their legal rights. The authors look forward to the resolution of this matter so that they can continue to publish the Sinners series, including the forthcoming books in the series.
    Oh dear, not good. Abi and Missy were bestsellers for M9B. Not taking care of the golden goose doesn't bode well for any of us with outstanding amounts due. ***heavy sigh*** again.
    Claire / Lila

Claire's Blog | Lila's Blog

I saw a few of their YA titles at the HousingWorks Bookstore in NYC the other day, and felt really sad for the authors.
    YA debut BURRO HILLS coming from Diversion Books on March 20, 2018!

YA LGBT Contemporary/Thriller - On submission + revising
    YA Contemporary Mystery/Horror - Writing, 57k+
    Short Fiction Online: Rabbit Suit

Website
    + Twitter

practical experience, FTW
    So very sad. Take the warnings seriously, people. It says a lot when a company is being sued by some of their bestselling authors.

So what's currently going on there, do we know? They still pay some authors, I assume...who's doing the editing?
    YA debut BURRO HILLS coming from Diversion Books on March 20, 2018!

YA LGBT Contemporary/Thriller - On submission + revising
    YA Contemporary Mystery/Horror - Writing, 57k+
    Short Fiction Online: Rabbit Suit

Website
    + Twitter

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon AuburnAssassin's Avatar
    New post from Victoria Strauss / Writer Beware: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2016/1...-torquere.html
    Claire / Lila

Claire's Blog | Lila's Blog

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Victoria Strauss had an interesting exchange with Month9 on Twitter, too. It's worth reading if you are interested in this publisher.

Victoria Strauss is collecting information for Writer Beware on whether Month9 authors are being paid. If you are an author and you want to share your experience, you can do so here: beware@sfwa.org.

Writer without permission. Updrifting's Avatar
    Where it's really, really cold out half the year.

Foreign Fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Java View Post
    I got my rights back from Month9 several months ago. BEST thing that ever happened to me. I re-published with a new title and cover, and in the first week, I made more than I made 10 months with Month9. Technically, one day of self-publishing made more for me than Month9 since I have yet to get anything fro-- ahem. That is another story.

What I'm saying is... you don't NEED a publisher to be successful. I think a lot of authors think they need a publisher name attached to their book to count as published. But royalties are MUCH bigger on your own (70% ebook). And I make tons with Kindle Unlimited. (2/3 of my earnings are from those free reads; I get paid per page read). Since I published on April 1st, I've made close to $5,000. And each month I will get a check because Amazon is good for their money.

AND I have ALL say in my title and my cover, or if I want to make a sale day. It is all MINE. No having my release date pushed back multiple times. I set the date. I set my own pace. And if I'm ambitious and want to publish 10 books in a year (not that I will), I CAN because it is on my time frame and I call the shots. There is no one else that is lined up in front of me. My publishing interests take center stage. And each book published adds to your income. Some of the self-publishers on the kindle form earn 5 figures a month.

There are expenses to self-publishing. Cover. Editing. Etc. But the freedom is so worth the expense. And I've made back my expense in a short amount of time. Not that EVERYONE does that, but it happened for me. Self-publishing is a good thing. It has a learning curve, but worth it. Oh, and I am able to publish overseas. Because I was with Month9, they held my rights and my ebooks weren't available overseas. I've done very well in other countries, especially Austrailia and Japan. It was a market I couldn't tap before because my rights weren't my own.

I've also got an audio book in production, with a narrator I got to choose on my own. Very fun process to choose my artist, choose my narrator. Best thing I've done.
    Schedule
    Updrifting

Live a little, for crying out loud: http://errinstevens.com/?s=In+defense+of+trash

Hi Miss Java! I have e-book rights I'll be asking for from my publisher when my contract is up in November, brought out POD and a sequel all on my own-ski after deciding I really am better off pushing my publishing barge myself (not having a last name that ends in -eyonce or -ennedy and all) - am LOVING it and oh how I wish I could have talked to my former, afraid self... anyway, how did you get/exercise rights to publish in Japan? It's okay if you don't want to educate the slow and the weak (guilty! but only in spurts and fits!), but I wanna have a conversation with you, missy!
    Schedule
    Updrifting

Live a little, for crying out loud: http://errinstevens.com/?s=In+defense+of+trash

Quote Originally Posted by Updrifting View Post
    Hi Miss Java! I have e-book rights I'll be asking for from my publisher when my contract is up in November, brought out POD and a sequel all on my own-ski after deciding I really am better off pushing my publishing barge myself (not having a last name that ends in -eyonce or -ennedy and all) - am LOVING it and oh how I wish I could have talked to my former, afraid self... anyway, how did you get/exercise rights to publish in Japan? It's okay if you don't want to educate the slow and the weak (guilty! but only in spurts and fits!), but I wanna have a conversation with you, missy!
    Schedule
    I imagine miss Java is very busy so I thought I'd take a wee nosy. I can't be sure, but I suspect Miss Java is reaching the Japanese market through the usual method, using Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing to publish her works across the world including Amazon.co.jp. Japan is listed as a standard KDP market.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    Avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon (or teadragon, depending who you ask).

I have an agent!

Writing:
    M/M British Urban Fantasy
    With Agent (eeee): Giant Robots Project

I just did it through Amazon. Easy as just clicking the "yes" to publishing it outside of the USA.

Schedule
    --Miss Java

What are you asking? Would be happy to answer questions if you need me to.

Schedule
    --Miss Java

figuring it all out
    It's sad that this publisher had such promise and now people would be crazy to submit to them.

Quote Originally Posted by JustWonderin View Post
    It's sad that this publisher had such promise and now people would be crazy to submit to them.
    Sorry I disappeared after my inquiry - got caught up in other online life-edness and all. I feel compelled to flesh out my participation in this thread a bit more, however, even though I generally feel like any hint of authors casting aspersions, no matter how justified, ends in more crap being dumped on the author although not here. But. I read through this thread for a reason, I feel a kinship with my writer colleagues out there, and so here's what went down.

I submitted my first book to M-9-BS back when it was still a promising endeavor (2014ish), engaged in a very solicitous exchange - solicitous on her part - with GB; and because of her excitement, got excited. She req'd an RR... and later sent me the most ridiculously error-ridden and lengthy rejection letter I've ever received and that's saying something. On Dec. 26. Seriously, it was personal, it was three pages long, it was repetitive, and it had DOZENS of typos. Thank God I was with my mother. I wish I'd saved it 'cause I would share, but Mom - after laughing her a-- off and speculating the writer was drunk - convinced me it was too weird to take seriously. And that keeping it around would only make me feel bad, which wouldn't help my work regardless of whether or not the critique was valid.

I went on to engage with two other publishers, one small and not really, I later found, a publisher; and one mid-size, respectable one. I voluntarily - and amicably, of course! - disengaged with both... and with the wisdom of hindsight am extremely grateful I never signed with M-9-BS. It's been said thousands of times and across thousands of threads here on Absolute Write, but independent publishers have a very tough job to do in this market and many of them simply cannot and don't do it. Do NOT let your hopes for success convince you to throw away your work on these people. Do NOT assume anyone who publishes books - or looks like a publisher but really isn't - has your interests at heart. As devastated as I recall feeling in 2014, I now have to smile at the Mer Chronicles series just out from GB, because that's the name of my own series. Thus ends my first critical diatribe. *Updrifting clambers off her soap box*
    Last edited by Updrifting; 10-22-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    Updrifting

figuring it all out
    Is there any update on this publisher? My former agent submitted my novel here and we never had a response. I'm chasing up those outstanding submissions but not sure whether to bother with this publisher or maybe even withdraw the manuscript. It seems they're not worth going with, unless anything has changed?

It's been a bad gamble for at least a year.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789