• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Month9Books

WolfeMama

Registered
Reaction score
They posted a call on FB for full-length novel NA and Adult queries for the Swoon line. I queried and received a request for the full within about 24 hours. Response to the full was a 2-4 week turnaround.

I have a novella with them. Two weeks tomorrow I believe. Though, the more I think about it, I think I jumped the gun and submitted the novella too early. Had a friend read it and she found a few places that needed a little help in the plot. I'm expecting an R. But, we'll see.

Good luck!!! :) Swoon Romance looks to be doing good things and I'd love to be a member.

tprevost

Registered
Reaction score
I received a partial request about two weeks after I posted my FB query!!! Now it's on to the waiting game =).

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I got a full request from Swoon for a YA I queried on 12/31. Swoon at least is accepting email subs now instead of FB pitches. They also tweeted today that they're caught up to subs sent through 1/1.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, tri. It sounds like they respond pretty quickly, at least.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
My YA Gothic will be published by them in Fall 2014. My agent subbed me, and things have gone quickly and smoothly so far. My editor and, actually, everyone I've interacted with there has been very professional and courteous. There are definite benefits to working with an indie press. I do think M9B will be one of the movers and shakers.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
My YA traditional fantasy novel will be published by M9B spring 2014, and a short Riders story will be in their upcoming antho this fall. I couldn't be happier with the team - very communicative, very responsive, very enthusiastic.

MysteryMavin

Registered
Reaction score
My debut YA Fantasy novel, CROWN OF ICE, will be published by Month9Books in the fall of 2014.

I am very pleased with them so far!

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I follow this publisher on Twitter. Within the last few weeks, I have seen twitter conversations between the publisher and agents. There seem to be questions related to the publisher's experience and the editors' backgrounds. I can't tell if this is a quarrel to ignore or if this is a start of a red-flag.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
I follow this publisher on Twitter. Within the last few weeks, I have seen twitter conversations between the publisher and agents. There seem to be questions related to the publisher's experience and the editors' backgrounds. I can't tell if this is a quarrel to ignore or if this is a start of a red-flag.

All I know is that I see a steady stream of deals listed for them at Publishers Marketplace, with connections to well-known agents. Works for me.

By the way, at the moment Month9Books is closed to submissions, at least unagented ones. From the Month9Books website:

WE ARE CLOSED TO SUBMISSIONS August 1 - October 1, 2013. We are closed to middle grade submissions through January 2014!

Last time I checked though, their Swoon Romance imprint is still taking submissions.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Their latest Facebook status: "Have read through all subs posted since October 1 and either requested or rejected. Please note, we are closed to middle grade subs through January 1, 2014."

Not sure if this means they're explicitly rejecting subs now instead of not responding (which was mentioned on page 1 of this thread)? But it's good that they're providing updates.

Last edited:

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Still waiting to hear on an MG full I sent by request July 15 (back when they were taking MG). I poked them in e-mail for an update two weeks ago and got a polite response next day: "We are checking on it. Thanks for following up!"

Fulls do take a long time, especially with publishers.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm intrigued by their Swoon line. Do you think they'd consider previously published works?

A general rule of thumb with publishers (and agents) is that they're usually not interested in previously-published (or self-published) work.

Rare exceptions might be something that showed some spectacular sales in its first outing. A number I once saw mentioned by an agent was 20,000 and up.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Georgia McBride, who runs M9B and Swoon, is pretty chatty on Twitter. You can always hit her up :)

General questions, only. Never use a Twitter or other social accounts to make a pitch. Month9Books does take unagented queries via Facebook message (check their guidelines) but that's a rare exception.