• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Month9Books

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Jane, there was a post back in June on their Facebook page saying they were closed to unagented subs until October 1st.

Maybe they are just easing back into reading queries. Guess we can keep our fingers crossed.

JaneD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
janedougherty.wordpress.com
It was based on that info that I queried. I don't suppose we are the only ones who took the info at face value.

And congrats to andIwrite :)

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! :) I only got their attention because I took part in the "Like a Virgin" YA/NA contest last Spring. If you can, do contests! This was my first one ever, and it got me published.

I'm still early in the process, but Swoon has been good to work with so far. I don't have an agent, and they are being understanding over me having no idea what I'm doing. :)

Last edited:

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I feel a little better then knowing I'm not alone. I'll wait out the query for a month or two and see if I get a response. I would love to work with them.

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Update (from October 16 2014)

I just noticed this post on their Facebook page:

"We are all caught up on submissions. If you did not receive a request for pages, pls consider it a pass. If we requested pages and more than 8 weeks have passed since you sent them, pls feel free to inquire via email. Good luck to everyone and thank you for considering Month9Books for your work!"

This was posted on October 16th, 2014, so I'm thinking for those of us who haven't heard from them by now, it's a pass.

curious_m

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard some rumors about bad contracts, low sales, bad marketing, unpaid staff and more. I would like to hear more first hand. If you have an experience to share, and you can't put it here you can PM me. I would like the truth before I submit a book.

LindaBudz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justlikethenut.blogspot.com
I have heard some rumors about bad contracts, low sales, bad marketing, unpaid staff and more. I would like to hear more first hand. If you have an experience to share, and you can't put it here you can PM me. I would like the truth before I submit a book.

curious_m, I am published by Swoon Romance YA, which is a sister imprint in the Georgia McBride Media Group (the parent company of Month9Books). I can't speak to those rumors, but I can tell you that I have been very happy with the marketing that has been done for my book (of course, there is still a lot the author has to do ... typical in publishing these days). And as far as my contract, when I showed it to my agent, while she did wish to negotiate some things, she specifically noted that she felt it was overall an "author-friendly" contract.

I was very pleased with my "debut" experience and have in fact signed a second contract with Swoon YA for a book to release this fall.

Hope that's helpful.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I sent them a pitch via Twitter as andiwrite mentioned above, and they requested the full. Sent it to them on 5/9. They asked I send it to the email address, as opposed to via the Submittable site, which I thought was interesting.

truantoranje

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes to receive a response? I submitted a manuscript in early February and Submittable continues to say In-Progress. Thanks.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
No clue. I submitted a month ago and I am also in progress. Hopefully they'll let you know one way or the other soon. Perhaps them sitting on it for so long is a good sign?

justaskosh

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard some rumors about bad contracts, low sales, bad marketing, unpaid staff and more.

I asked my agent if we should consider submitting to Month 9, and she said no--she's been hearing the same things as you, particularly about the bad contracts. I have no first-hand experience to offer, though.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what some of the deal-breakers are? I'm curious.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I have to go to the Way-Back machine on this one-9-16-2012--it was a pitch. I don't have specific notes in my archives about this one other than "Agent does not recommend this house--has seen and dealt with the contract." I checked my dates and we were dealing with two other publishers at the time. She didn't send me an itemized list, but I took her word for it. I do remember we were dealing with two other publishers at the time, so it was kind of a fast and furious thing. I can only guess and say that it must have been a rights issue, since she's a stickler for those clauses--I mean she can really get Hard-a..ed about it. I know I did ask her to reconsider since I did like Month9 and thought they might be a good fit. Alas I was warned off and I do value my agent's opinion.

I'll try and contact her and get specifics on what she considered snafus. I always like them. Like I say, this was awhile ago and I do remember it being kind of a close call. I'm guessing here, but I don't think Month9 wanted to work with her.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Triceratops.

In other news, I submitted to Month9 and the other day I got a request from Swoon Romance for previous sales info. I hope that's a good sign (unless my previous sales aren't good enough for them Q.Q ). I sent it as a reply to the email, but my reply doesn't show up in the status bar on submittable, which makes me wonder if they got it. Anyone have any experience with that sort of thing via submittable or with this publisher?