• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

SkipJack Publishing

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
They're co-op publishing. They seem fairly new to me. I find their website kind of hard to read because it takes up my whole screen and the font is small. It works if I set it larger though.

So far they only seem to have books by Pamela Fagan Hutchins. These books do rank high in their respective categories on Amazon.

How to Screw Up Your Kids for example ranks #35 and #100 in Stepparenting and Blended Families.

I'm curious to see if they charge for their publishing services, or if it's taken from the author royalties, like I've seen with other co-ops. There isn't a lot of information available for people wanting to submit on their website, nor is there a lot of information about what exactly their goals are.

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you eternalised. They responded to an email query and explained that they don't pay their authors, will direct you to expected publishing services and it is run by Eric, Pamela Fagan Hutchins husband.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you eternalised. They responded to an email query and explained that they don't pay their authors, will direct you to expected publishing services and it is run by Eric, Pamela Fagan Hutchins husband.
Um. What does the author get out of it?

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
We want to work with entrepreneurial authors with a strong commitment to the pubilcation and post-publication process. We will provide a solid foundation from which to launch books - a credible imprint, a well-functioning website/sales platform, established relationships with a growing network of brick-and-mortar book sellers, assistance as needed in pre-publication activities and shipping/logistics, and expertise, assistance, and guidance in marketing. What we will not provide is financial support. We won't pay authors to publish with us, nor will we cover costs, such as editing, formatting, and cover art. We will, however, help you minimize your costs by introducing you to high quality service providers who will allow you to work with them at our reduced rates. Authors will still be responsible for, as with traditional publishers, promoting their work. This promotion is absolutely essential to that author's success. We can be of great assistance in this area, too.
This is the part of the email that gives those particular stipulations.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
We want to work with entrepreneurial authors with a strong commitment to the pubilcation and post-publication process. We will provide a solid foundation from which to launch books - a credible imprint, a well-functioning website/sales platform, established relationships with a growing network of brick-and-mortar book sellers, assistance as needed in pre-publication activities and shipping/logistics, and expertise, assistance, and guidance in marketing. What we will not provide is financial support. We won't pay authors to publish with us, nor will we cover costs, such as editing, formatting, and cover art. We will, however, help you minimize your costs by introducing you to high quality service providers who will allow you to work with them at our reduced rates. Authors will still be responsible for, as with traditional publishers, promoting their work. This promotion is absolutely essential to that author's success. We can be of great assistance in this area, too.

Then what the heck are they charging authors for? Co-op means the authors pay money. What are the authors getting in return for that money?

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I have to say, if the author paid for those covers, I hope she didn't pay much.

Beyond any other considerations (and there are plenty, including the costs involved and a lack of information as to the staff's expertise), this is a very new publisher. The first book seems to have been published in January 2012; the others, all by the same author, have all come out only last month. Given the attrition rate for new small presses, it's a really good idea to wait until they've been putting out books for at least a year, so you have at least some assurance of stability (this also enables you to evaluate things like quality, and whether they're fulfilling their marketing claims).

- Victoria